FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 8:14 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by Jerdon Today at 2:42 pm

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 12:48 pm

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 11:33 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Float Tube setup for soon-to-retire husband?

+8
ed5000x
Devil Dog
.:LOLLY:.
wiseguy
Lok Dog
jeffcpr
Docrunner
Fisher
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place, but I have a request for all you experienced float fishers.

Which float tube would be a good choice for a husband who expects to fish a lot more after he retires in July?

We have access to a 3800 acre Montana lake with lots of wind and ice cold water. Trout and small salmon are the main catch.

He weighs 155 pounds and is pretty athletic, but I'm thinking the U-shaped or open tubes are easier to live with.

If you have a float tube you like, could you reply in this thread so the recommendations are all in one place?

Thanks so much, and again, sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

what r your money options fish cats r always a good choice

Price isn't a real issue as his employer is looking for an idea for a retirement gift for him. I would guess $800 for tube, neoprene suit and flippers...

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Kimby wrote:Price isn't a real issue as his employer is looking for an idea for a retirement gift for him. I would guess $800 for tube, neoprene suit and flippers...

nice! I want his job.. Thumbs Up

That's a nice budget. The high end, probably goes to the Prowler at around $560. I have been super happy with the Cumberland, which you can get for $175-$200. It's very durable and has lots of storage room. The rest, I'd spend on breathable waders, fins, and maybe a gift card to Savon Tackle or Cabela's or somewhere like that.

Congrats!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya I would say cumberland is on the top end, the Prowler and of course the fish cat are always good choices. With that budget you can do a lot he is going to have a great retirment for sure.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Just get a ODC 420 for him,..

https://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The guy is in montana, I doubt he'll come down to Savon Tackle green happy just pulling your leg Doc!

As for the tube recommendation, with a nice budget like that, I'd go with a prowler some decent waders and fins. If not, get a Cumberland! They are awsome! Then get him from Force Fins and some good quality breathable waders. All for under the budget.

What are "breathable" waders? Because the lake is so cold, I'm thinking he needs neoprene, or maybe even a drysuit. He has stocking foot chest waders, but they are uninsulated and he probably wouldn't last long in them. Blue legs and chattering teeth!

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Here is a link to breathable waders so you can get an idea

Not sure how warm the water gets over there but I prefer breathable waders because they are comfy and most versatile. They are not as warm or thick as neoprene waders but they are loose fitting so you can wear multiple layers of clothes underneath.

During the warmer months I would just wear shorts and a t-shirt under my waders and don't have to worry about getting to hot since the material doesn't get as hot as neoprene. On the colder months you have the space to layer up with sweats and thermos if need be.

Hope that helps

Thanks Lolly. The water DOESN'T get warm! At 6400 feet elevtion, the ice doesn't go off till mid-May or later and is frozen solid again by Thanksgiving. So 6 months of ice-free water. (That's one reason we haven't gotten a boat - it can freeze (air temp) just about any night of the year and we'd hate to crack the block or have to winterize more than once a year.)

In mid-July, you might be able to swim if you can tolerate cold water. It NEVER gets very warm. Which the trout and salmon like, but we warm-blooded humans, not so much!

That's why I thought neoprene. But breatheable waders are insulated too?

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

With water temps like that what about a Pontoon boat you are more out of the water, but still like a float tube.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not really, when I wear shorts under my waders I can feel the water temp on my legs. It's off by a few degrees but I can tell when going through warmer and colder water. I just like them because they are not "form fitting" and you always have the option to wear more clothes underneath. I don't think the people around me would appreciate if I would wear some neoprene waders LOL.

What Jeff said sounds like a better option

I may have forgotten to mention the WIND, which is also an issue. The lower profile the floaty thing the better, because it is almost always windy, and sometimes VERY windy. A cataraft/pontoon craft would probably be pushed around by the wind too much. We have a canoe, but for the same reason don't think it will make a good fishing boat.

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

go with neoprean waders breathable will be to cold for the water temps where your at

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I can see the worry of the wind, there is always and anchor to help in higher minds. The float tube will still have issues in the wind but you are right there will be less issues with it if you are in the water.

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've been eyeing out the Sawbill Creek waders that ARE insulated, not to mention that they look neat! THey are in the link LOLLY posted for you.

Devil Dog

Devil Dog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

here's a new tube/toon/boat whatever you want to call it from Outcast click on the link to check it out. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I say Cumberland its a good price and you have extra money for him to play with like all the rod holders he can make nice waders and fins also maybe a nother tube for you to go with him wow

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Docrunner wrote:
Kimby wrote:Price isn't a real issue as his employer is looking for an idea for a retirement gift for him. I would guess $800 for tube, neoprene suit and flippers...

nice! I want his job.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's a nice budget. The high end, probably goes to the Prowler at around $560. I have been super happy with the Cumberland, which you can get for $175-$200. It's very durable and has lots of storage room. The rest, I'd spend on breathable waders, fins, and maybe a gift card to Savon Tackle or Cabela's or somewhere like that.

Congrats!
make that gift cert. to home depot. as he`s gonna need some PVC to build a road,light, net, pliers, sounar holder [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
and I would go with the neoprene waders and fishcat delux...

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wiseguy wrote:The guy is in montana, I doubt he'll come down to Savon Tackle green happy just pulling your leg Doc!

lol!

haha... right on.. there really are people outside of so cal??? no way!

Just re-read the original post..
If the water is cold, you might go with neoprene waders. Heck, with that budget, get both! I'm sure there are local fishing shops, but there's always Cabela's. And, you might want to save some for Home Depot, cuz he'll need a rod holder rack, fish finder holder, etc.. Great for anyone who loves to tinker on stuff. Float tube fishing is the perfect retiree hobby! (too bad I'm not retired yet.. oh well..)

Thanks for the suggestions folks, and keep em coming as you think of them. I'm passing them along to his boss.

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Here is a float tube with ores and you can put a motor on it if need be its called the dave scadden outlaw

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Kimby wrote:Thanks Lolly. The water DOESN'T get warm! At 6400 feet elevtion, the ice doesn't go off till mid-May or later and is frozen solid again by Thanksgiving. So 6 months of ice-free water. (That's one reason we haven't gotten a boat - it can freeze (air temp) just about any night of the year and we'd hate to crack the block or have to winterize more than once a year.)

In mid-July, you might be able to swim if you can tolerate cold water. It NEVER gets very warm. Which the trout and salmon like, but we warm-blooded humans, not so much!

That's why I thought neoprene. But breatheable waders are insulated too?

I live in the Rocky Mountains and most the lakes I fish are over 7,000 ft with the Uintas 10,000. I wear BREATHABLES year round. No reason to own two pair of waders. Breathable are so versatile. It is all about the layers. Something you cannot do with neoprene.

I fish year round and many days below 20 degrees. I wear a pair of Body Armor long johns, top with fleece pants and Wool top...good to go. Summer, a pair of scrubs. NEVER wear cotton under breathables.

Renegade wrote:I wear BREATHABLES year round. No reason to own two pair of waders. Breathable are so versatile. It is all about the layers. Something you cannot do with neoprene.

Thanks for this advice. I have just been told that neoprene waders are no longer available, that Gore-Tex is the way to go. Is that what you mean by breatheable?

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Gore Tex is the best material for Breathables but not the only one. Simms owns that Gore Tex, but Orvis, LL Bean, Cabelas all offer there breathables. Gore Tex is just the material.

You do need to be careful picking which brand. Hodgemen has not had great results. My pair leaked after 4 months.

I am sure Neoprene is still available. I have not used it for 20 plus years though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum