FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great White vs Kayak!

+4
waxon67
n2deepfsw
Aquaholic38
Docrunner
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Great White vs Kayak! Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

maybe this is old news for you guys, but I just found it tonight. Pretty scary stuff..

This guy got launched off his yak up in No Cal. Luckily, he was with another yak'er. Here are their 2 posts about the attack:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's a short video of the GWS bite damage to the yak:

dang.. what would happen to a float tuber!?!?!?
Shocked Shocked Shocked

2Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

DANG!!!!! where is this pigeon point? I red his post as I can picture it in my head. Crazy!!affraid

3Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 am

That my friends is why you stay out of water in NoCal and the water is just way too cold.

4Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow!

5Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:09 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Never ever get rid of that yak. I would love to have it. Fricken cool...not the attack...but the souvenir!
This can happen anywhere along the California coast fellas. More likely in some places than others BUT the potential is always there!

Awesome post. Glad all involved live to tell about it!

6Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:Never ever get rid of that yak. I would love to have it. Fricken cool...not the attack...but the souvenir!
This can happen anywhere along the California coast fellas. More likely in some places than others BUT the potential is always there!

Awesome post. Glad all involved live to tell about it!

this is also why you should never get rid of that little puncture repair patch kit that comes with your tube! Rambo

7Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:08 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Honestly im thinking if a great white hit my tube he'd spit me out as soon as the taste of my soiled wafers hit his mouth.

Im more afraid of something biting my legs. It sounds kinda dumb because a float tube is inflatable but i feel like if a shark it the actual tube you wouldn't get too much damage done to yourself. Dont get me wrong...you'd still get messed up but i feel like shark wouldnt get a dead on accurate shot at you. Mainly because of the way the sharks mouth is designed and because the tube is so wide.

Serious question: if you see a great white pop up next to your tube...do you kick away or remain motionless. Obviously you pee yourself first but after that what would you do?

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

8Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

*waders not wafers lol. I can never type right from my phone

9Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hee Hee
Kayak = one big swim bait!
Toober = one big creature bait! (or Frog!)
Tooner = chew toy?

bodfish

10Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I click the heels on my ruby scuba fins and say , "there's no place like home, there's no place like home"! affraid

11Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:
Serious question: if you see a great white pop up next to your tube...do you kick away or remain motionless. Obviously you pee yourself first but after that what would you do?

Brian, here's what you do:

Actually, I wondered about this in general with all animals encountered in the ocean, like.. sharks, sea lions, dolphins, diving birds, eg. pelicans, etc.. do I pull my legs up and stay still? kick like crazy and run? pull a gaff or knife or gun and fight? I do have a small telescoping oar paddle, but I never think to bring it along. Maybe I should? I was thinking of buying a knife, but I don't know anything about them. Any tips, Marine?

12Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:22 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
Hee Hee
Kayak = one big swim bait!
Toober = one big creature bait! (or Frog!)
Tooner = chew toy?

bodfish
e

I have a theory regarding shark attack in the ocean to humans. Seems many times the silhouette of the victim is many times similar repeatedly; surf boards, kayak, swimmers etc. I wonder if a tuber's silhouette is equally vulnerable by comparison. No studies on that one I think.

13Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hmm.. starting to seriously wonder about this hobby of mine ..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

14Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:35 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey, go hiking you are up against bears and big cats, snakes etc. Go in the ocean you got sharks and sting rays and jelly fish etc. Go home you got rapist, serial killers drunk drivers. In a jam...if you come face to face with any of them its your a55 if you are caught off guard and unprepared. I'll take the ocean. If I'm gonna go out it's gonna be doing what I love.

15Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:

I think , remain still and hope he loses interest. If you actually see him first he is probably just curious. Most attacks occur without warning or indication. I was once told by an urchin diver that a cheap repellent was a squirt bottle full of bleach. Not sure how true that is. The trick is how and when do you make your exit? He was probably attracted to your kicking motion to begin with. Man I think you would be screwed!

bodfish

PS at least in my toon I could pull up my feet and row away! Hee Hee,...

16Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
MASSfisher wrote:

I think , remain still and hope he loses interest. If you actually see him first he is probably just curious. Most attacks occur without warning or indication. I was once told by an urchin diver that a cheap repellent was a squirt bottle full of bleach. Not sure how true that is. The trick is how and when do you make your exit? He was probably attracted to your kicking motion to begin with. Man I think you would be screwed!

bodfish

PS at least in my toon I could pull up my feet and row away! Hee Hee,...

Ya ... row away...hmmmmm...lol lol!

17Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey waxon,

Yeah I know,... it's degrees of screwedness!

affraid bodfish

18Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:47 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
Hey waxon,

Yeah I know,... it's degrees of screwedness!

affraid bodfish

R O T F L M A O!!!!!!!!! lol!

19Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:49 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Doc you can't go wrong with a ka-bar!

Normally you see them with a brown handle but after watching Full Metal Jacket with R Lee Ermey I hadda get the all black one so I could be like my hero Animal Mother:

Not sure how they'd be in the salt water though...nothing some freshwater couldnt fix....plus the shark blood helps preserve the blades sharpness hehe.

I have a reallu nice dive nice my brother gave me but its back home...plus its double sided and i dont know how legal that is. Pretty sure the kabar is to long to be legal to but oh well lol

20Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:Doc you can't go wrong with a ka-bar!

Normally you see them with a brown handle but after watching Full Metal Jacket with R Lee Ermey I hadda get the all black one so I could be like my hero Animal Mother:

Not sure how they'd be in the salt water though...nothing some freshwater couldnt fix....plus the shark blood helps preserve the blades sharpness hehe.

I have a reallu nice dive nice my brother gave me but its back home...plus its double sided and i dont know how legal that is. Pretty sure the kabar is to long to be legal to but oh well lol

yeah.. that's what I was thinking.. "K-bar".. the name slipped my mind. Where do you get one of those bad boys? Are they legal? What's penalty if I have it? Thx man..

21Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Doc you don't need a Kabar to defend yourself from anything in the ocean, it's just going to either start rusting, fall over board or get left in a shark or a seal and you are then out $60 plus dollars. If you want brand name but don't want to break the bank Cold Steel brand will handle anything you need to defend yourself against and they start at $20. Or any survival knife on sale at Big 5 will get the job done as well. If you want reach I suggest ditch the knife and go for a machete.

I have about 50 knives each with a specific purpose and depending where I am going I decide which one to take. Going to a crappy area where I may have to leave it in someone, ditch it or have it confiscated then Smith & Wesson, Gerber or a Schrade work fine. In a situation where a high quality kife is needed I go with Spyderco, Bench Made or HK. Outdoors hiking, camping or Alaska I take a Leatherman, Kabar, Cold Steel or Buck. Couple of my favorites are the ceramic blade and delrin spike ones I have that pass metal detectors Smile .

As far as legal concerns you really need to look it up online or consult your local authorities to find out... it really comes down to how bad of a day the cop or who ever sees you with it that day is having and if they decide to get crazy about it. I've carried a knife daily since I was 18 and never had a problem I find when asked if I have any weapons on me I refer to it as a tool then a knife. Even had one incident where a cop and I were comparing knives and I gave him the info where to get an assisted opener like mine lol. Never act like your scared to be carrying or shouldn't be carrying it because if you do then most likely you shouldn't be.

As far as guns for bears and cougars, local cougars and trail muggers .357 is fine even .38 special +P should do ya but anywhere with bears .44 mag minimum. I'd go .454 casul but I don't want to pay for the ammo. Newport cougars usually just go away when ya tell them your unemployed or have bad credit.

22Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:20 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:Doc you don't need a Kabar to defend yourself from anything in the ocean, it's just going to either start rusting, fall over board or get left in a shark or a seal and you are then out $60 plus dollars. If you want brand name but don't want to break the bank Cold Steel brand will handle anything you need to defend yourself against and they start at $20. Or any survival knife on sale at Big 5 will get the job done as well. If you want reach I suggest ditch the knife and go for a machete.

I have about 50 knives each with a specific purpose and depending where I am going I decide which one to take. Going to a crappy area where I may have to leave it in someone, ditch it or have it confiscated then Smith & Wesson, Gerber or a Schrade work fine. In a situation where a high quality kife is needed I go with Spyderco, Bench Made or HK. Outdoors hiking, camping or Alaska I take a Leatherman, Kabar, Cold Steel or Buck. Couple of my favorites are the ceramic blade and delrin spike ones I have that pass metal detectors Smile .

As far as legal concerns you really need to look it up online or consult your local authorities to find out... it really comes down to how bad of a day the cop or who ever sees you with it that day is having and if they decide to get crazy about it. I've carried a knife daily since I was 18 and never had a problem I find when asked if I have any weapons on me I refer to it as a tool then a knife. Even had one incident where a cop and I were comparing knives and I gave him the info where to get an assisted opener like mine lol. Never act like your scared to be carrying or shouldn't be carrying it because if you do then most likely you shouldn't be.

As far as guns for bears and cougars, local cougars and trail muggers .357 is fine even .38 special +P should do ya but anywhere with bears .44 mag minimum. I'd go .454 casul but I don't want to pay for the ammo. Newport cougars usually just go away when ya tell them your unemployed or have bad credit.

So Vag, tell us what you really think about this....lol lol!

23Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Its official...Vag is getting a frisk search before every gathering. I dont feel like getting shot/shanked because i catch bigger fish lol.

I paid $45 for my kabar from sgtgrit.com

I second the bench made....had 1 issued to me for deployment....i forget the price exactly but we looked it up and it was way over $200. Worth every penny (of the govts. money...which was collected from YOUR taxes). In other words...thanks for the knife guys....keep workin hard and payin those taxes.

24Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Pffft, no worries re: sharks, it's the whales I'm concerned about. About 6 months ago, some type of whale, might have been a humpback..? anyways it breached over some dudes 21'or so sailboat, and Crushed it, I don't recall if the dude lived or not.

25Great White vs Kayak!  Empty Re: Great White vs Kayak! Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I still maintain my worst nemesis on the water....

Boat Rowers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum