FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by Ogurr38 Today at 3:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by Jerdon Today at 2:42 pm

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 12:48 pm

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 11:33 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sea doggs and tubes

+12
thisfool
waxon67
LGHT
Fisher
Docrunner
ed5000x
Lok Dog
wiseguy
.:LOLLY:.
Leakytube
jeffcpr
Chomps
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

thisfool wrote:ok so i WAS really thinking about float tubing a bay or something really soon but i don't know about that now lol that was a lil bit scary.

You have nothing to worry about. The usually keep there distance

27Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:53 pm

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:
thisfool wrote:ok so i WAS really thinking about float tubing a bay or something really soon but i don't know about that now lol that was a lil bit scary.

You have nothing to worry about. The usually keep there distance

yeah they haven't messed with me yet but i never had a problem with them, they got as close as 3 feet from me but went down and got his fish and left

28Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

franklyn562

franklyn562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

this would only be scary if you had a float tube cause it can pop

https://www.facebook.com/franklynle

29Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have never had a serious problem with a seal all my years of fishing from shore, tube or kayak. I'm not saying something can't happen but I don't feel it should worry anyone enough to keep them out of the water. Heck I fear boaters more than I do seals! And like LGHT said a good thump on the head should usually be enough to detour any seal from further investigating you. Taking a knife or gaff to a seal if caught is going to get you into way more legal trouble and paper work and you having to prove it was a life and death situation.

As far as taking a Sig 9mm make sure you have a CCW that is accepted in CA, don't use that cheap Russian "WOLF" ammo and make sure you have a seal stamp on your fishing license and they are in season. And maybe just bump it up to .45 to be safe with some nice Hydro Shocks as they do have a tough hide and a couple layers of blubbler. You will probably have enough meat to last you all winter and slightly into spring so make sure you also have a good industrial vaccume sealer and good size freezer. Thumbs Up

30Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Docrunner wrote:I'm buying a gaff.

..or bringing along my Sig 9mm..

lol did it bite him at the 2:55 - 3:00 mark?

31Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:Taking a knife or gaff to a seal if caught is going to get you into way more legal trouble and paper work and you having to prove it was a life and death situation.

As far as taking a Sig 9mm make sure you have a CCW that is accepted in CA,

lol!

If I'm fighting to save my life from an attacking seal or great white.. besides chumming my waders, the last thing on my mind will be, "boy, am I going to be in trouble for not having a CCW!"... lol!

speaking of my sig.. my SWAT buddy sez always make sure you point it down and drain the water out before firing.. I guess the compression in a water filled gun can cause it to explode in your hand!

And it's best to use special rounds made to be more water resistant? I guess they have a wax coating to resist water intrusion?

Maybe I'll just get a big knife and a gaff. Rambo Rambo Rambo

were you joking about seal stamp? I thought you could never kill a seal or sea lion? Aren't they protected? You're trying to get me on the PETA hit list!

32Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lol yeah Doc I was joking, nice I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that or go some where and ask to purchase a seal stamp. Actually I think the only people in the US that can legally kill seals are native Alaksans/Eskimos.

Good point, firing a gun full of water could end up taking you out instead of the seal. I think water in the barrel and firing chamber causes the explosive force to lose direction and just scatter. hmmm never knew of special rounds for water maybe they are wax or teflon coated... interesting. Sounds like more stuff I need along with flashbangs and the HK belt fed grenade launcher Smile

33Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Pepper spray...bear grade. Best solution I can come up with.

34Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:Pepper spray...bear grade. Best solution I can come up with.

i think i should start bringing pepper spray with me to be on a safe side. i wanna use my gaff but ima end up losing my gaff cause its gonna be hard to unhook if i do hook him lol!

35Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:19 pm

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The seals dont seem to ever be an issue but I have heard stories about the Sealions grabbing onto a fin or strap now and then. I have also heard about people who had a fish on a stringer or rope hanging from their tube or kayak and getting flipped.

I think you are less likely to have an issue if you are not using any kind of live bait...

36Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

A rowing team or rower can and is more likely to ruin your day than a seal.

37Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:

yeah.. how would you know? Mad pale

38Sea doggs and tubes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea doggs and tubes Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Docrunner wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

yeah.. how would you know? Mad pale

Hey...I'm trying to forget... Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum