FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINS OVER WADERS ONLY or BOOTS OVER WADERS and THEN FINS ???

+4
ed5000x
MASSfisher
choppywaters
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TOJIACK FLOATMAN

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

OK, So heres why the question. I am currently using the bargain basement Caddis hard plastic fins over wading boots and want to upgrade my fins. I am a 260 lb. man with a size 9 foot. My feet dont fill the the extra 3 1/2 inches of the stocking feet in my waders. My wading boots will fit over the feet if I fold the toes over but if hike more than 100 yds, ( which happens often )my toes are barkin. I spent an hour online looking at fins of a more pliable rubber for diving to get more thrust but the majority dont look like you could get a boot in them even with the open heel design and then theres what size to get,,, ARGH ! At 260 lbs with NO BOOTS on strutting arond broken rock ( no sandy beaches here ) is like stepping on the kids legos in the dark. So do some of you have some easy on / easy off boots/shoes you wear and if so do you leave them on or take them off before you fin up ? If you leave em on what are you wearing and what fins are you using, What size shoes and what size fins ? for those wearing fins over just waders what foot size and what fin size ? Wish I could have the toes of my waders custom fitted, that would be a help too.

choppywaters

FTFF Gathering Officer

The only thing that are going to fit will be you feet in the wadding sock if you get those type of fins. The "other type", other than step in fins are made for bare feet mostly. My old pair were regular diving fins and I just wore them with my waders and they were very tight with the neoprene sock and were uncomfortable most of the time because they were so tight and every one Ive seen are 1 size fits all.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

You gotta have boots or else your waders will get destroyed and like you said, your feet will be killing you.

I never wore actual "boots" but instead wore the neoprene booties...they keep your feet warm and allow you to travel over any type of surface with no problems at all.

Instead of looking for dive fins I suggest checking out a pair actually made for float tubing. Mine cost me $50 at bass pro shops and the booties were about $25....one of the best float tubing investments I ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i wear booties as well and i have force fins and they fit over my booties very good. i used them both ways with and without booties i like to wear my booties with my fins .
there is a guy selling force fins scion619 he a member hit him up and see if you can get them or if your a local to L.A. you can try mine and see if you like them

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

also we are having a work shop as well it will give people a chance to try out different set up as well as getting new guys into tubes so you might have been tubing for a while and you want to try some thing new this is a good chance to do so

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Ok, here is one of the most annoying things about wearing waders, booties, fins, etc., etc., ...

Because they are all NOT fit to size, it is a situation of trial and error, until you find the best combo for your comfort.

1) The first and hardest fit to make is your feet in the wader. I don't think anyone's foot actually fits in those goofy stocking feet they sew on the bottoms of the wader. They (the stocking feet) are almost always too big. I try and take up as much space as is possible (comfortable) with a pair or two, of long, thick, athletic socks.

NOTE: The key here is to properly size the waders when you buy them.
MOST people do not! and then struggle to make the rest of the system work.

2) The next problem is stuffing the remaining floppy mess into some kind of bootie or wading shoe. If I plan on having to walk any distance I wear a pair of wading boots. If not, dive booties (with a good sole) are usually sufficient. The trick here is to get a good tight fit without cutting off your circulation, which can cause a host of problems. (cold feet, sore toes, fatigue, cramps,... )
Some of my colleagues wear combinations of dive booties and beach sandals, or even a cheap pair of canvas high top sneakers. Once they reach their destination they remove the sandals or sneakers.

3) Now,.. the most difficult item, the fins. I like how the molded fins are many times the best for thrust but especially over all the layers on your feet, they tend to slip off more frequently. I generally use them for summer waderless outings. I prefer the type with an adjustable strap so I can make them as tight as I need them, and/or adjust their size to whatever I am wearing over my stocking foot.(boot? bootie? or just the stocking foot). All my fins are leashed to my ankle and are made of floating materials.

My typical combo is,
double layer of socks
waders
dive bootie
Force Fins

I am hoping someone will start making stocking foot waders with a hard sole on them. Makes much more sense.

good luck,

bodfish

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I wear wading boots with hot spot fins I would like force fins but they are currently out of my price range. I have used fins without the boots they do seem lighter that way. But I prefer the boots and just in case if you have to walk the boots are better then stoking feet.

http://bassinthehood.com

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What kind of boots (make and model) do you wear with your fins? I also have hot spots and can't get my dive booties to fit...

TATERJ5

FTFF Gathering Officer

I use the Deep Sea brand from Sport Chalet with my hot spots and have no problems. I've also used the one's from Bass Pro Shop with them as well. Hope this helps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum