FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast?

+3
Dano67
jeffcpr
Madbasser
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's the question!
I know we got some die-hard Flyliners, but for heavier stuff (relative i know) do most of you use spinning gear or baitcast equipment?

I myself am all about baitcasting. Don't use but one spinning reel now. I have a bunch of bait-cast gear and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Even use my SOL and Pixy for finesse stuff like Drop shot and shakey head.

Whats your take?

2To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:59 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am into baitcasters right now, it has its use, and for the way I fish now a days it works just fine. But I do still have my spinning gear ready to go for that light line need. No weight on the lures, looking for a slower sink. Or just tighter lures. It really depends what I am doing or fishing for. But I do like to cast a baitcaster make me feel more like a Bass Fishermen Embarassed

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Dano67

Dano67

I like doing all three. I fly fish, spin and would like to ge into baitcasting more. I just want to catch fish. Dont care if it comes on a fly or a piece of pork rind.

4To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great topic!! I am like Dano and I like all three. I would love to learn more about fly fishing as well but currently I have all spinning gear and budget gear at that and one baitcaster which is also a budget reel. I am not proficient with it but I can use it. I do like the baitcaster overall and I am looking at better gear and moving in that direction. I have conventional reels that I use for salt and such but even those are very different than a bassin/freshwater bait caster imho. I would eventually like to get my bass gear up to speed with a 4 or 6 rod set up and bait specific.

5To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I only have spinning gear now but looking for a baitcaster to learn with.

6To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:10 pm

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ive never tried a flyrod but that looks like a blast!

7To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah, i need to polish up my fly-rod skills too. Its tough to get really good.
I have been using mostly baitcasting stuff for three years now and think of myself as pretty proficient even though we still get the occasional "professional Over-run" Embarassed

8To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Oh dont worry, I still hook my arm on ocasion with my fly rod Smile

9To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

OUch!!!

Just make sure to keep your shades on don't want one in the eye! affraid

10To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Yeah, Missed my ear the other day with a stainless 3/0. At least it didn't have a barb!! I think that is one of the main reasons I dont have barbs on my hooks. green happy

11To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

3/0 on a Flyrod, U DA MAN. Thumbs Up

12To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 pm

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

The vast majority of my gear is baitcasting but do have both spinning and fly gear as well. Love the bait casting and fly gear the most although I use baitcasters the most by far. I have a ton of high end gear so I NEED to make use of it! LOL

They all have their uses and can be more effective than others at a given time. Learn to be proficient at all of them and you'll be ahead of people who only do one!

Todd

http://www.geemoto.com

13To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Madbasser wrote:3/0 on a Flyrod, U DA MAN. Thumbs Up

Clouser Minnow... Should say Clouser Trout

14To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hahah yeah, u sure u don't need a swimbait rod for that? LOL

15To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Just a steel helmet would work. cyclops

16To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I think I have fly lined only ONE time with a spinning reel. I specifically fish only conventionals in the salt. Fly line is always on my conventionals. Depending on the size of the bait, it can be Trinidad 12 to 20 size. I use to love drop shotting in the fresh with baitcast. Then I switched over to Spinning and I actually can drop shot with either or. Spinning I still like to "split shot". I think it's personal preference. However you feel most confident in what you are using.

17To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:00 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

grew up backpacking the sierra's (above shaver lake ca.}
dad would set us on the bank with a cheap spinning rod and a bubble float.
can't remember what kind of fly.
watch the waves carry it out tug if the bobber disappears.
cool memories of fishing!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

18To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Dano67

Dano67

We used to go to Mirror Lake out of Mineral King and bobber that lake all day. I need to buy a bobber!

19To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

smith's handpoured baits wrote:grew up backpacking the sierra's (above shaver lake ca.}
dad would set us on the bank with a cheap spinning rod and a bubble float.
can't remember what kind of fly.
watch the waves carry it out tug if the bobber disappears.
cool memories of fishing!

My memories are similar, but they weren't in the sierra's. They were of canal banks in El Centro catching 15lb channel Cats.
Love those times.

Except for the mosquito's.

20To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Lake Gregory lake in SB mountains, in the summer. Crappie fishing North Shores from early morning till late evening. I would be fishing from sun up till sun down with breaks for food and bathroom. In fax most often food was brought to me so I could just fish. Man I wish I could go back to thgose days sometimes.

21To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:12 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've fished Gregory before but never caught ONE bass! I think the roomers are all false. Rolling Eyes

22To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya I have seen them only caught one and it was small they are there just not willing to bite at least not my hook.

23To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:18 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Anyone fished Dixon out there by SD?

24To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have fished a bunch of lakes out in SD, but not Dixon. My fave is Miramar off a float tube.

25To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Empty Re: To Baitcast or Not to Baitcast? Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok just to add to this thread I am now really in the baitcaster mode now. I don't have high dollar models yet but I'll get there one day. I guess at the moment my best one (out of 3) is a Pinnacle Slyder. I haven't got to fish with it yet. I am really anxious to try the slide wheel on it. I guess it was designed to compete with the Diawa model with the twitching button on it. The idea is its supposed to be a finesse reel. We shall see. I hope one day soon to get into some better guns but for now...me happy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum