FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question About Anchors?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Question About Anchors?  Empty Question About Anchors? Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:40 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

in the process of creating an anchor for my pontoon. Thinking of using a cement cylinder with an eye bolt.

how heavy should my anchor be to keep me from drifting? Don't wanna make the anchor heavier than it needs to be.

be using the anchor in lakes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

2Question About Anchors?  Empty Re: Question About Anchors? Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

flyfishingfool wrote:in the process of creating an anchor for my pontoon. Thinking of using a cement cylinder with an eye bolt.

how heavy should my anchor be to keep me from drifting? Don't wanna make the anchor heavier than it needs to be.

be using the anchor in lakes.

Not sure how much pontoons drift? I can imagine the wind might affect them more, since they are more high profile on the water? Don't know.. I'd guess 3-4 lbs. Amazon has grapnel 3lb anchors for about $30. You could also just tie rope to a 3-4 ft length of heavy galvanized link chain. That's what I use for the float tube, out on the salt. Got that idea from Mr. Waxon

3Question About Anchors?  Empty Re: Question About Anchors? Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:20 pm

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Just go to Walmart and pick up some 5lb and 2 1/2lb dumbell weights, get a six inch eyebolt and a couple of nuts and washers.

4Question About Anchors?  Empty Re: Question About Anchors? Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Docrunner wrote:

Not sure how much pontoons drift? I can imagine the wind might affect them more, since they are more high profile on the water? Don't know.. I'd guess 3-4 lbs. Amazon has grapnel 3lb anchors for about $30. You could also just tie rope to a 3-4 ft length of heavy galvanized link chain. That's what I use for the float tube, out on the salt. Got that idea from Mr. Waxon

was thinking of using a grapnel style anchor. the concern i have with this type of anchor is having it get wedged between some rocks and not being able to remove it.

fishslayer wrote:Just go to Walmart and pick up some 5lb and 2 1/2lb dumbell weights, get a six inch eyebolt and a couple of nuts and washers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

here's the cement cylinder i'm thinking of using. I've have to cut it down to make it lighter and anchor an eye bolt to it.

think 10lbs should be enough?

5Question About Anchors?  Empty Re: Question About Anchors? Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:56 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Hmmm,.... anchors,.. one of my least favorite toon accessories. I have used a number of different anchor systems in the past with limited results. The tried and true cement cylinder (a' la every rental boat in the universe), is the simplest and cheapest.

Advantages:
1) cheap

Disadvantages:
1) bulky,... take up a lot of room and are not always easy to deploy, because of their size
2) doesn't hold well,... there is a whole list of reasons why, like,.. the cylindrical shape, the relative low density of concrete, the lack of flukes,... etc., etc.,....

By the way 10lbs. is probably sufficient, if you can make the sucker stick! Besides you probably don't want to carry much more weight than that.

The next issues are
where to tie the thing off
managing the line
hauling

Most of the pontoon manufacturers have add on accessories for anchoring their boats. Check out the sites and you can get a good idea of what you might want. The best anchor I used was an 8lb galvanized unit that resembled a plow share. Sank very fast, usually stuck fast with little effort, and for the sand, gravel and small rock bottom we were fishing, worked really well. Another good one was the bell, (inverted mushroom) and/or the scalloped bell. Again 8-10lbs.

as far as anchoring in the rocks?,... well it's risky no matter what the anchor.

For the most part I have so rarely need or wanted an anchor I no longer have one. But I usually fish still water. If I start bay fishing I may rethink this.

hope this helps

bodfish

6Question About Anchors?  Empty Re: Question About Anchors? Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:48 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

great info bodfish. thanks for the help.

the pontoon i'm using has pulleys for an anchor a something to tie down the line but doesn't have a place to store the line. Gonna have to come up with something for the line.

yeah i don't really want to use an anchor but it might come in handy when those eastern sierra winds start blowing.

7Question About Anchors?  Empty Re: Question About Anchors? Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 am

FloatinPedro

FTFF Gathering Officer

I replaced the mesh bag anchor that came with my Colorado XT with a 10lb mushroom anchor and plenty of line, that works like a charm with no drift and a very easy retrieve.  When moving from car to shore and back I store the anchor in the wire rack so it doesn't hang and swing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum