FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Snaps, split rings and swivels...do ya don't ya?

+3
Monster
Madbasser
waxon67
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am going to start putting split rings on some of my hard bait trebles and use snaps on my leader ends to my hard bait split ring. Not sure about swivels up the line though. I guess for line twist? Doesn't a swivel affect the drop a little or is it not enough to be concerned? What you gals think?

waxon67 wrote:I am going to start putting split rings on some of my hard bait trebles and use snaps on my leader ends to my hard bait split ring. Not sure about swivels up the line though. I guess for line twist? Doesn't a swivel affect the drop a little or is it not enough to be concerned? What you gals think?

What reason are you looking at swivels on your hard baits? Is it for the ease of changing baits? If you don't care about how the bait was designed to perform, then swivels are fine. Who's to say they really change the bait's performance? I know there are heated debates on this. I don't use them. Any weight on a hard bait will change how it swims, sink ratio, or suspending angle. If you are looking for more action on a hard bait, use a loop knot on the bait. Baits are specifically designed to perform. Any additional weight will offset the performance and the way it was designed to swim. Just my 2 cents. Wink

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I get that. There is a debate on this and that is why I put it out there. Some guys swear that the extra "joint" puts better action on the bait. Some say it doesn't. I have had pretty good bass men tell me the extra split ring on the treble makes it harder for the fish to throw the hook. LC, usually when I say I am going to start doing something it is because I want to see something for myself as apposed to speculation. It isn't because I am already convinced. I apologize for not being clear in my intentions. My head is always racing on this stuff. However, I am a big believer in bait modifications. This is one way we discover new fishing technique. Modifications that can be easily undone are my favorites! Thumbs Up

waxon67 wrote:I get that. There is a debate on this and that is why I put it out there. Some guys swear that the extra "joint" puts better action on the bait. Some say it doesn't. I have had pretty good bass men tell me the extra split ring on the treble makes it harder for the fish to throw the hook. LC, usually when I say I am going to start doing something it is because I want to see something for myself as apposed to speculation. It isn't because I am already convinced. I apologize for not being clear in my intentions. My head is always racing on this stuff. However, I am a big believer in bait modifications. This is one way we discover new fishing technique. Modifications that can be easily undone are my favorites! Thumbs Up

I was in no way trying to be rude to you buddy!!! I was just saying how I fish my hard baits. I will on occasion use a loop knot in the nose of the bait. I don't put the split rings on the trebles. I can however see how it would help for a bass to not throw the bait. Sometimes, the area we hook a bass is just not good. You catch them just sniffing your bait and when they jump, your bait is thrown. That's bass fishing for ya!

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lagunaCOCONUT wrote:
waxon67 wrote:I get that. There is a debate on this and that is why I put it out there. Some guys swear that the extra "joint" puts better action on the bait. Some say it doesn't. I have had pretty good bass men tell me the extra split ring on the treble makes it harder for the fish to throw the hook. LC, usually when I say I am going to start doing something it is because I want to see something for myself as apposed to speculation. It isn't because I am already convinced. I apologize for not being clear in my intentions. My head is always racing on this stuff. However, I am a big believer in bait modifications. This is one way we discover new fishing technique. Modifications that can be easily undone are my favorites! Thumbs Up

I was in no way trying to be rude to you buddy!!! I was just saying how I fish my hard baits. I will on occasion use a loop knot in the nose of the bait. I don't put the split rings on the trebles. I can however see how it would help for a bass to not throw the bait. Sometimes, the area we hook a bass is just not good. You catch them just sniffing your bait and when they jump, your bait is thrown. That's bass fishing for ya!

Na bro never took it like that no worries. I have a tendency to not always be clear on what I'm getting at. Ya I like a loop knot too and that has been my approach on occasion too. I just want to know what people are doing with there baits, if they even heard of this before and what their individual experiences are. My spandex remains unbunched! Lol! Very Happy Let me ask you this oh owner of the boat I still want to be welcome on (hint hint), what are your thoughts on squeezing your points in a little on your trebles and for that matter opening the gap on a jig hook?

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok, here we go Wax.
I don't add split rings to the nose of any treble bait, but I use a "speed Clip". It's kinda like a fancy snap. I have noticed no I'll effects on the action of the baits and it dies allow me to swap the out quicky. If I know I will only use that bait and have use for anything else I'll just tie directly.

Now I Love to mod my baits and change the split rings to the trebles and change the trebles to larger or smaller and different brands. That no dought changes the action and feel of the bait but that the intent.

By all means experiment. There is no hard fast rule in fishing other than the more time u spend on the water the more u learn. So do what u like, change what u think needs changeing and put it on the water and decide for ur self. That's the way u gain confidence in ur gear.

Good topic Wax.

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Madbasser. Speed clips is what I meant by snaps. I have heard the argument that round split rings eventually can turn and catch on your line and cause a breakage. Lucky Craft even makes some lures with oval rings to avoid this. The speed clips address this issue from what I understand and like you said aids in less knot tying. I am going to give this system a try. Wink

Monster

Monster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I never used swivels on my bass lures. I do how use them when trolling for trout to help ease line twist when trolling spoons or what not. I think I'll just stick to straight tying on my lures.

Dano67

Dano67

Why it's Capn Spandex to the rescue!!!!!! I am all about the loop knot on my limited gear experience. But when using a fly I really try and avoid anything except the fly or bait. It just lets it swim along all free and airy Shocked 4 DAYS LEFT Thumbs Up

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Monster wrote:I never used swivels on my bass lures. I do how use them when trolling for trout to help ease line twist when trolling spoons or what not. I think I'll just stick to straight tying on my lures.

I am with Monster on this I tie right to the bait, and have never done much with changing hooks or rings. But using swivel I feel is best on spinners and spoons to avoid the line twist.

Dano67 wrote:Why it's Capn Spandex to the rescue!!!!!! I am all about the loop knot on my limited gear experience. But when using a fly I really try and avoid anything except the fly or bait. It just lets it swim along all free and airy Shocked 4 DAYS LEFT Thumbs Up

Damn Shocked only 4 days that is cool it wont go fast enough for me.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

jeffcpr wrote:
Monster wrote:I never used swivels on my bass lures. I do how use them when trolling for trout to help ease line twist when trolling spoons or what not. I think I'll just stick to straight tying on my lures.

I am with Monster on this I tie right to the bait, and have never done much with changing hooks or rings. But using swivel I feel is best on spinners and spoons to avoid the line twist.

Dano67 wrote:Why it's Capn Spandex to the rescue!!!!!! I am all about the loop knot on my limited gear experience. But when using a fly I really try and avoid anything except the fly or bait. It just lets it swim along all free and airy Shocked 4 DAYS LEFT Thumbs Up

Damn Shocked only 4 days that is cool it wont go fast enough for me.

You and me both! I just want to hang out and just fish. Have some hot dogs and shoot the breeze..

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Looks like you might be doing this in the rain. Forecast says rain for Sat.

I just went to Parris this weekend and let me tell you what. Ill post it in the other thread.

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Madbasser wrote:Ok, here we go Wax.
I don't add split rings to the nose of any treble bait, but I use a "speed Clip". It's kinda like a fancy snap. I have noticed no I'll effects on the action of the baits and it dies allow me to swap the out quicky. If I know I will only use that bait and have use for anything else I'll just tie directly.

Now I Love to mod my baits and change the split rings to the trebles and change the trebles to larger or smaller and different brands. That no dought changes the action and feel of the bait but that the intent.

By all means experiment. There is no hard fast rule in fishing other than the more time u spend on the water the more u learn. So do what u like, change what u think needs changeing and put it on the water and decide for ur self. That's the way u gain confidence in ur gear.

Good topic Wax.

I'm gonna have to check out this speed clip thing. I only bring one rod out to the lakes, so retrying new baits become a drag and this causes me to fish one bait a long period of time.

Plus it's a line saver.

As for split rings, I heard that split rings allow the bait hooks to break off when they are snagged. Thus saving the lure. Is this true?

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Madbasser wrote:Looks like you might be doing this in the rain. Forecast says rain for Sat.

I just went to Parris this weekend and let me tell you what. Ill post it in the other thread.

Paris, France?

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I've been a believer in snaps for my hard baits. Love being able to change baits quickly and I think this mostly came up having limited space on my float tube in the beginning of my tournament fishing. I have more than enough rods now but still like swaping out colors or even lures quickly.

As for mods...check out the upcoming issues of BassWest USA. A nice article being published there about jerkbait mods by the pros Wink

Todd

http://www.geemoto.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum