FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Pablosparky Today at 9:54 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by jeffcpr Today at 5:28 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Down imaging fish finder experiences on a tube?

+3
Watertooner
Chomps
SBBassdude
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SBBassdude

FTFF Gathering Officer

I've been eyeing the Hummingbird 346c DI for the past week and was curious if anyone here uses a down imaging fish finder. What are your thoughts and experiences with this function for tube use?

I have never used one from a boat or tube but I think there great. I have a garmen now but will be up grading to one those next year hopefully.

SBBassdude

FTFF Gathering Officer

I've been doing some research on these DI units and the Hummingbird seems like a better unit over the Lowrance in a comparable model. I will probably pick up the 346c DI sometime next month. Hopefully, there will be some sales somewhere Red Smile! I will post a review once I have get the unit.

Awesome can't wait for the review. What type of battery are you planning on running with this unit?

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a garmin also I wished I did a lil more research and got one that does down imaging because it seem like it shows more detail on structure

SBBassdude

FTFF Gathering Officer

miller wrote:Awesome can't wait for the review. What type of battery are you planning on running with this unit?
The 346c DI power input is 12-10 VDC and draws 380 mA with the lights off so any 12v 5amp battery should work fine. I was originally planning on the DIY route for the FF mount but floattubefanatics U2 system looks promising to me and everything is included. I will decide on the mounting system when I have the FF in my hands.

ChompOnThis wrote:I have a garmin also I wished I did a lil more research and got one that does down imaging because it seem like it shows more detail on structure
From the research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that the DI function is a good "supplement" to regular sonar and may not be the best tool as a stand alone application. I have yet to find a info/videos online with actual "real world" DI scans......all I've found are videos showing the demo mode. Maybe someone will chime in that have actual experience with these DI FF's.

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

No experience with fancy electronics. I have a Fishin'Buddy from HB that does what I need until "some day" when all the kids' college fees and weddings are paid for - probably just before paying for my funeral. However, I like to read about fancy FFs so I lurk at Crappie.com. They have a forum called "Fishing electronics and trolling motors" with a sub-forum called "Side/down imaging." Here's a link to a recent thread about the HB 346c DI:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I always read FTFF's new threads BEFORE going to C.com. Folks who float with inflatables are more interesting than those who float on glass or metal. salute

SBBassdude

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for the link Watertooner......very informative site. I have an older fishin' buddy model 2201 that I purchased years ago and it worked well. I actually still have it but I'm a total sucker for technology and this DI thing is so fascinating to me!

phishinghookz

phishinghookz
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I got the humminbird 345c di on my tube...it works really well when looking for better detail of structure...this is my first time owning one since i have upgraded from the fishing buddy 120c...the 12v battery last forever. i've been on it a month str8 without recharging...you can find great deals on ebay bro...thats where i got mine for cheap and brand new..

10Down imaging fish finder experiences on a tube? Empty Questions on the down imaging fish finders Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:35 pm

northplatteriver

FTFF Gathering Officer

From what I understand you need to be moving a couple mph for the DI units to give you the good looking pictures you see. Is this true or can you still get the picture like images when you are in a tube sitting in a stationary position. Also is possible to see your jig like you can with a conventional sonar unit?

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Either you're stationary or moving, not beyond 5mph, you can see DI quite clearly. If DI can only be used while you're in motion, then it's useless nearly 80% of its capacity. DI is meant to give solid return of structures and floor for accurate reading and pin pointing potential targets.

If I must favor a DI unit, I go for Lowrance. But, which ever is cheaper, and providing colored information, I go for it. Sitting on the tube with DI information is a godsend, especially for night sessions.

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I need to get a finder with the sonar on a cord so i can use it in my kayak and float tube. im selling my 140c humming bird. Any ideas?

13Down imaging fish finder experiences on a tube? Empty So just to get this strait on the DI Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 am

northplatteriver

FTFF Gathering Officer

Your reply is much appreciated, but just to get this strait....If I am sitting motionless I will still see imagages like this????

If you were to get only one not both in the same unit, you would be looking at a down imaging model or a 2d sonar model?

Finally, how important is GPS? I can certaily see how it could be very nice to have that as an option.

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

northplatteriver wrote:If I am sitting motionless I will still see imagages like this????

Sitting still, or motionless over the area, you'll see exactly what's below you. If you're moving, it will show the area you've past, and approaching. The 3D image you see is partial of what you've past, and currently at. The update starts from the right, and the past location is on the far left. Most sonars get returned information about the position you're at instantly.

An example would be, let say, you're approaching a sunken tree structure, and it's about 12ft down. Most sonar is based on a return of 4in diameter detection per every foot down. So, by the time you're on top of the sunken tree, 12ft down, you'll see the sunken three 4ft across. Sitting motionless above that tree, you'll see the entire tree, and the fishes that move around it.

northplatteriver wrote:
If you were to get only one not both in the same unit, you would be looking at a down imaging model or a 2d sonar model?

If you can get the 3D model within your budget, go for the 3D model representation. It gives you a greater solid info return on the dimensions of the structures, as well as the sizing of the fishes. 2D will give you the length of the fishes and structure, including the heights of the structures, but not the accurate return on how big the fishes really are.

northplatteriver wrote:
Finally, how important is GPS? I can certaily see how it could be very nice to have that as an option.

If you're buying the higher end DI, with 3D, GPS is already built in. GPS is not critical, but good to have to historically marked your locations. Schools don't stay in one location over time. Structures may remain over time, which is good to have GPS tagging. I use my phone to do that, even though I have GPS on my fishfinder as well. GPS in the fishfinder is convenient to compare where you current are, vs the locations where you want to get to.

northplatteriver

FTFF Gathering Officer

Your response is exactly what I have been looking for, much appreciated. I think I will be in a better spot with the DI over the sonar also. The one I have been looking at is

Lowrance Elite-4X DSI - color ($199.00)

I would be interested in what you think about that unit and also what unit you are currently using. There is another unit I like that has GPS in it

Lowrance® Mark 4 DSI Sonar/GPS Combo - Black and White ($199.00)

They are both the same price. Is color worth more than GPS? I know a very subjective question, but I am curious what you think.

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lowrance Elite-4X DSI is a great compact unit at that price. It's the intermediate to pro series for water excursion on a float tube.

I'm currently using the Humminbird 718 model, using quad transducer, mounted to the left side, running off the 14.7V (8AHr) lithium cell, where the transducer sits right below my seat on the Fish Cat 4. I can see left, right, as well as 1ft-to-1ft down image. So, for every foot down, I see up to 1 foot diameter. Imagine a 12ft depth, and I see everything around me in a 12ft diameter around me. Pretty epic searching for those monsters, but not enough info on the on what species those may be.

With your DSI, you will be able to see it clearly. The info should provide with partial 3D return to pinpoint the species you're observing.

As for the color vs monochrome, I stick with color. Although it's not the color scheme of the larger much more expensive unit, the color will give you a better idea than monochrome due to distinctive color marking identifiers.

Are you benefiting with the GPS on the monochrome? No. Why? Unless the GPS displays GPS coordinates on the screen, which it doesn't like the larger models, it's pretty much hunting in too large of an open ground. It's better using your Android phone with GPS markers, which is a lot more accurate.

17Down imaging fish finder experiences on a tube? Empty Hmmmmm Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:28 am

northplatteriver

FTFF Gathering Officer

So it sounds like the unit you are using is 2D Sonar? Just curious why you would recommend a DI unit if you are using a 2D unit. Is that the next direction you will be going to?

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

My unit is indeed 2D. I bought it as an upgrade to even an older unit of Fish Buddy during my college days. College = no a lot of spare money for fishing hobby. Now, family = barely enough just to get out to fish once in a while, let alone having the budget to get a nice DSI/DI unit. I got mine years ago when there was enough budget to get a good 2D unit, before the explosion of the DI colored units, which then flooded with DI 3D units. Now, you can get a great DI 3D unit for the same price as my 2D unit way back when. Rather than spending more, I'm just going to use my 2D unit until it dies. Why waste money when the unit is not broken. It's all about knowing how to read the information provided for you. I can hunt just fine with my 2D, since I have plenty of years understanding my unit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum