FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

question about texas rigs

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1question about texas rigs Empty question about texas rigs Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm

CaliFTmeister

CaliFTmeister
FTFF Gathering Officer

For texas rigging, would it be the same action/effect if one where to use a weighted EWG hook rather than using a non weighted EWG hook with a bullet sinker?

2question about texas rigs Empty Re: question about texas rigs Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It won't be the same. Not saying that a weighted EWG hook won't work...but the presentation just won't be the same. I suppose the bait you plan on using will be a huge factor as well.

The main reason I love a T-rigged worm is the way it acts in the water. The bullet weight pulls the head down while the tail is nearly vertical, wiggling and enticing fish to eat it. Combine this with how the bait moves when you lift your rod tip and you have a deadly bait. Not sure what you plan on using but my favorite t-rigged worm is a Roboworm (Aarons magic!).

With an EWG hook I feel like it will just bring the bait right to the bottom, taking away a lot of action, and taking away the "wiggling tail" that you want.

I'm not an expert & after reading this I realized it didn't come out the way I wanted it to....hopefully this helps though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

3question about texas rigs Empty Re: question about texas rigs Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 am

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

your bait will fall at a vertical position with a bullet weight (keeping the tail portion pointing upward like massfisher said) and the bait will fall at more of a horizontal position with a weighted EWG.

4question about texas rigs Empty Re: question about texas rigs Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I was hoping to find an actual underwater pic of the Texas rig in action, but couldn't get one. This image may help you visualize what the bait should look like though. Notice every time it falls it goes head first and the tail follows. Also note that because of the buoyancy of the worm, when the bait makes contact with the bottom it is only the weighted section that is making contact. I've always thought that this was to give the impression that your bait is feeding off of stuff on the bottom, making it appear more vulnerable.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

5question about texas rigs Empty Re: question about texas rigs Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 am

CaliFTmeister

CaliFTmeister
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for all the info.

6question about texas rigs Empty Re: question about texas rigs Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Texas rigging is a vertical jigging rig.
A weighted EWG hook rig is a slow fall, swimming rig. It was originally deigned to add a swimming action or "dead fall" action (in my opinion the one and only thing it does well) to baits like, tubes, swim baits, some jerk baits and the like. the action is very different (depending on the bait).

T-rigs cover ground slowly (stay in the strike zone longer)
WEWGs tend to cover ground a bit quicker, and less efficiently (stay in the strike zone less long)
T-rigs help to impart action,
WEWGs tend to need the lure itself to impart the most action.
T- rigs probe dense cover (deeply)
WEWGs tend to slide through cover
T-rigs are a close contour bait
WEWGs are not (generally)

Here is a simple test that will tell you a great deal about their inherent differences.

Go to your nearest swimming pool and rig your favorite T-rig bait and cast it a few times and retrieve it the way you would normally fish it. Observe.
Then use a WEWG with the same bait and retrieve it the SAME WAY, and again Observe!

The same bait reacts radically different!

So short answer? (something I have a great deal of difficulty with) No! they are not the same, and in fact they are very different.

The key element is to remember the WEWG hook was specially designed to do a very special thing. So it is up to you to learn when and where to put it to work.

bodfish

PS. The WEWG is a funny hook. It has been around a REALLY long time. It actually (in my opinion) was designed way before there were baits available to utilize it's very special attributes. But! it has definitely found it's home now!

Oh,and by the way, one of the best learning tools you can use for situations like this is the nearest swimming pool! TEST, TEST,TEST, Practice and observe!!

7question about texas rigs Empty Re: question about texas rigs Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the info Bod....every time you post I learn something new

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum