FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maiden Voyage 7/1/13

+2
.:LOLLY:.
jmericle
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 am

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I finally made my maiden voyage yesterday at the LAB.  I put the tube in the water for about 30 minutes.  I fished just off of PCH right across from a huge shopping center near 2nd street in Long Beach.  I caught my first spottie there from the shore, so I wanted to give it a shot in the tube.

What I learned:
1) When the current is ripping like a river, it is probably not a good idea to put the tube in the water especially solo.
2) I need a rod holder for the tube.

3) I need a tubing partner.

4) I need more practice turning.

5) I need a baseball hat vs. my huge Asain style straw hat to see over my shoulder while tubing.  Afterall, you drive that thing in reverse, which takes some getting used to.  A rear view mirror would be nice when tubing so close to the docks and rocks.

My tube is a ODC 420 and I love it.  It was easy to pump up and deflate.  Lots of storage space on it.

I just have 1 question for you guys. How much air should I put in the tube? I first did it really tight then realized that it was probably too much air so I let some out. When I squeezed it there was a little give. I figured that my 230lb ass would put extra pressure on the badders and keep me a float, and it did. Would not having enough pressure slow me down in the water as it would create more friction? God, I really sould like a newbie. Well we all have to start somewhere.

2Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Re: Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congrats on your first outing.

Once inflated and you poke it with your finger it can not be too stiff. There has to be a little give. At the speed tubes travel you don't have to worry about a few PSI's in difference slowing you down. The only way it will slow you down is if it is drastically low and at that point you have an entire different set of problems.

3Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Re: Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

awesome u got out n ya rod holders help alot n have someone with u is always good i pump my tube all the way up and the let air out as i fish and as it gets hotter during the day

4Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Re: Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:01 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congrats on the water baptism. Since you are exposing yourself on a very hot day, start out the tube about 90% filled, since you're going to experience a heck of an air expansion in your bladders. Fill the bladders just enough to fill a play, an ability to depress your bladders about 1/4" to 1/2". No air pressure gauge is needed. As LOLLY indicated, a few PSI won't effect your cutting through the water. It's all about how much leg strengths you have fighting against the current. Always fish with a buddy, or you better have something to notify others you need help, beside your screaming like a little girl Razz

5Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Re: Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

You launched right on the Cerritos channel... Be careful there because the current gets very strong there because the power plant sucks water to cool down their machines I suggest you launch more on ocean by the jetty more calm for a beginner tuber

6Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Re: Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:34 pm

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Any locations in the LAB that are better than another for a beginner?  I did pretty well with moving against the current as I have long blade fins, which are sort of stiff.  If anyone is down to tube with me in the LAB during normal businsss hours during the week, please let me know.  This is the only opportunity I have to fish as I have the "Warden" at home, I mean the wife and 2 kids.  Weekends are out of the question as I spend with my kids (age 4 and almost 1).  I just want a location were I can catch fish and it is safe.  Not trying to jack any secret spots, but just want to catch fish and get used to the tube.

7Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Empty Re: Maiden Voyage 7/1/13 Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:34 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Congrats on your first trip i agree with .:LOLLY:. As well PSI shme.s.i just firm enough to give slightly. Make sure you have a partner with you. Of course that is tough will your schedule maybe i will swing a week day trip next week if possible i will let you know.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum