FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Today at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Product review - Creek Company Voyager

+3
Vagabond
red1952ford
Tim Murphy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Product review - Creek Company Voyager Empty Product review - Creek Company Voyager Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear Board,

Being a big fat dude in search of a portable fishing craft I decided to check out the Creek Company Voyager. I called Cabela's one Saturday a few weeks ago and they said they had one left and it was priced to sell. I drove up Sunday and picked it up. I bought the boat primarily for fly fishing local lakes and streams. I own a Water Skeeter Daytripper and a Caddis Navigator already, but I wanted something that could handle the flowing water better.

Labor Day 2013 was the first chance I had to get it on the water and I am impressed. Despite the fact that I weigh almost as much as the boat's rated capacity, 350 lbs for me vs. 400 lbs capacity for the boat, I still sat high enough in the water on the inflatable seat that my butt didn't get wet at all. I would have sat even higher if I had given the inflatable seat another shot or two of air.

The boat moved easily via foot power using a pair of Force Fins and it's very easy to row with the included oars. Changing direction or steering with the fins was easy as well, if not a little slower than it would be in another smaller tube. The boat comes with a large stripping apron and a large tackle compartment that can be mounted on either the left or right side of the boat.

There is a good sized storage well behind the seat but it is designed to let water flow through it so it's not dry storage. Still, it will hold a medium sized Playmate cooler or a similar sized soft sided cooler so you can pack some food and drink for a day on the water. You could easily lash a dry bag back there too because there are several D-rings to use as lash points.

It is ruggedly constructed and I won't be afraid to use it on any of the rivers or streams that I fish most often.

I have to figure out how to rig a depth finder up to it, but I plan on using it a lot here this Fall and since it sits so high I won't have to wait until wet wading season to get it on the water in the Spring, hip boots will work so cooler weather boating will be less hassle.

The only downside that I can see is that the boat is a bit heavy and at 8' long and 4' wide a little awkward, so schlepping it and your fins and a cooler and a rod more than a few yards will take some effort. Still it is lighter than any 8 foot rigid framed pontoon I've ever seen so I can take a little bit of bad with the good.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering an inflatable and if you have any questions let me know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy Very Happy 

red1952ford

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Here is your fish finder mount       [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nice Toon you got there

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the write up and review. I think the hardest part of tubing is getting in and out and launching, it's the only time I have seen anyone fall in.

4Product review - Creek Company Voyager Empty Re: Product review - Creek Company Voyager Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:58 am

angelsfan951

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

thanx for the info. im at 345 and looking for a tube. looks like it would defenetly work out but price is killing me. one last thing does it just have 1 bladder?

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great info.!

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

x2

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear angelsfan,

It has 3 inflatable bladders. There is one large bladder that forms the "U" part of the boat. The seat is inflatable and has 2 separate inflatable sections with the bottom being about the same size as a throwable boat cushion. The seat back is about 2/3's the size of a boat cushion.

If you are wondering about how rugged the boat is the outer cover is HD re-inforced vinyl like you would find on a raft or pontoon boat. In fact I had an Aire pontoon and the cover material seems identical to me except for the color. I'm confident the boat would handle a collision with a tree limb or rock just fine. It may get scratched or scraped, but it would take a collision with something very sharp and high rate of speed to puncture the boat. I have no plans to shoot major whitewater with the one I have so I know it'll last.

Keep an eye out for the web specials by Creek Company. They send out email flyers advertising 50% off certain products 4 or 5 times a year. When I bought my boat at Cabela's the Creek Company was selling them for $ 299.99. I just went to a local Cabela's because I could have the boat in an hour.

For big guys it's an absolute Cadillac of a ride. My other tubes, the Waterskeeter Day Tripper and the Caddis Navigator, I'm unsure of the model of that one I only know it's rated to 350 pounds, both float me pretty well at 350 pounds. The Waterskeeter definitely has more spare capacity than the Caddis though.

I hope this helps you and other big dudes with their float tube shopping. If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here or send me a PM and I'll tell you what I can.

Regards,

Tim Murphy Smile 

8Product review - Creek Company Voyager Empty Re: Product review - Creek Company Voyager Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 pm

angelsfan951

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Tim Murphy wrote:Dear angelsfan,

It has 3 inflatable bladders.  There is one large bladder that forms the "U" part of the boat.  The seat is inflatable and has 2 separate inflatable sections with the bottom being about the same size as a throwable boat cushion.  The seat back is about 2/3's the size of a boat cushion.  

If you are wondering about how rugged the boat is the outer cover is HD re-inforced vinyl like you would find on a raft or pontoon boat.  In fact I had an Aire pontoon and the cover material seems identical to me except for the color.  I'm confident the boat would handle a collision with a tree limb or rock just fine.  It may get scratched or scraped, but it would take a collision with something very sharp and high rate of speed to puncture the boat.  I have no plans to shoot major whitewater with the one I have so I know it'll last.

Keep an eye out for the web specials by Creek Company.  They send out email flyers advertising 50% off certain products 4 or 5 times a year.  When I bought my boat at Cabela's the Creek Company was selling them for $ 299.99.  I just went to a local Cabela's because I could have the boat in an hour.

For big guys it's an absolute Cadillac of a ride.  My other tubes, the Waterskeeter Day Tripper and the Caddis Navigator, I'm unsure of the model of that one I only know it's rated to 350 pounds, both float me pretty well at 350 pounds.  The Waterskeeter definitely has more spare capacity than the Caddis though.

I hope this helps you and other big dudes with their float tube shopping.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here or send me a PM and I'll tell you what I can.

Regards,

Tim Murphy Smile 
thanx i trully appreciate ur info. Ill be saving up then i see it on sale for 399 at cabelas but thats still lots of cash for me. hopefully i find a good deal or maybe even a used one would be great

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I'm thinking a Cumberland will do the same job, and a lot less "cumbersome". A lot less cash too!!!

10Product review - Creek Company Voyager Empty Re: Product review - Creek Company Voyager Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear fisheromen,

Actually, while the Cumberland is a very nice float tube it doesn't compare to the Voyager very well when you consider that I wanted something for BOTH lakes and moving water.  The Cumberland is for still water only while in the Voyager I can float any of the streams and rivers in my area.

You can certainly put a float tube in a river.  I've been float tubing since the late 1980's and I've used a float tube to ferry across a river in a hole that is too deep to wade more than a few times.  But it would be foolish and potentially dangerous to try to make an 8 or 10 mile river trip in a float tube.  The Voyager will handle Class II whitewater and float through 6 inches of water, or less than 6 inches if you weigh less than me. Embarassed   In the Cumberland or any other tube there is no place to put your feet in the shallow water and you'd wind up walking a lot of the time to get through riffles.

The Voyager is definitely not for everyone.  If you have no interest in floating moving water then it probably won't be a good tube for you, but if you want to do both I'm not aware of anything else out there for the same money or less that lets you do that?

Regards,

Tim Murphy Smile

11Product review - Creek Company Voyager Empty Re: Product review - Creek Company Voyager Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:43 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well the Cumberland I have has went down river ,saved kids, and dose good in the ocean as well but to each his own as long as you happy with what you got that's all that matter . Congrate on your pontoon some like a beast

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum