FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by slodawg375 Today at 8:27 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing

+2
fatboy531
fisheromen
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

When I started tube fishing, almost immediately I started catching larger fish. I think the reason is the stealth nature on fishing form a tube. Smaller fish hit just about anything that comes along. To catch the larger, more wary fish you need to pay more attention to not being there.

I see people talking loudly while fishing. I have been guilty of this, but I notice when I am talking I am not catching. Some wear brightly colored fins. I doubt that is a good idea. Neither is thrashing the surface when kicking. When fishing clear, shallow water, long casts are in order.

Maybe some of you can add ideas to improve stealth.

2Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fisheromen wrote:When I started tube fishing, almost immediately I started catching larger fish.  I think the reason is the stealth nature on fishing form a tube.  Smaller fish hit just about anything that comes along. To catch the larger, more wary fish you need to pay more attention to not being there.  

I see people talking loudly while fishing.  I have been guilty of this, but I notice when I am talking I am not catching.  Some wear brightly colored fins.  I doubt that is a good idea. Neither is thrashing the surface when kicking.  When fishing clear, shallow water, long casts are in order.  

Maybe some of you can add ideas to improve stealth.

I myself have been doing a bit more tube fishing alone. Fish do become spooked by the noise and if fishing in marinas being too close to the docks does minimize my hook ups. I have learned to stay away further from the docks and try to paddle a bit more stealthy.

3Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Yup.

Tubing fresh I seem to hook more fish when staying a far distance away from the shoreline and making long casts. Lost many lures learning this technique.

Works well when dragging ds for trout and/or bass.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

4Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Minimal movement is the key to success. I jig and slip float at the 8' to 10' depth. Talking is a no-no. Minimal movement while fishing over the school of fishes is critical. I have fishes literally swim under my float tube and pontoon many times during calm days, while I fished. Easy on the cell phone and blaring musics while fishing. The watercrafts are doing fine in discouraging the fishes as it is.

Couple of things I noticed in the past that promotes stealth:

1. When kicking as you troll (during calm days), rather than making large kicks, perform small kicks, with fins lined up side by side without too much separation of your legs. Mini kicks, pretending your two knees are tied together. It appears like you're an agitated floating log, being pushed by the wind.

2. Minimize rubbing sounds between your body and the float tube body. The sounds travel quite well in water. It will spook the fish easily. I've learned that adding a few spinners below the float tube as you travel masks your human generated sounds above. It attracts the fishes that are swimming more than 20ft away from you, giving you a chance to catch them during trolling. Works very well with shellcracker (redear sunfish) and catfish.

5Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:43 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This is a cool thread, I agree on the noise guys, you need to stay as quite as you can, I am guilty of making to much noise will kicking. I try to stay conscious of this as much as I can. I have found that for me in the saltwater this can be hard with current and trying to stay on your spot. Maybe I should in these cases start doing longer casts. I don't feel that in freshwater on a none windy day this should be a issue. But I also no that when I get tired I start kicking out of the water more, noise factor is going up. Stealth is important and I feel on certain day the key to a good day. Thanks for the thread this is cool, keep it coming

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Current for both salt and fresh water are the same on windy days. Salt gets more influence with tidal movement on top of the wind. However, wind in the inland area, where I am, can be wicked. Lake Perris is known for its constant wind shifts, and gale effects, going from a dead calm, into a 35mph gale type wind within 20 minutes, to where the wind will flip boats as the wind direction changes.

Same thing noted for most of the fresh waters. The one that doesn't seem to get the most impact is water that get surrounded by tall trees and mountain ridges. Lake Gregory, Jenks Lake, and 7-Oak Dam are the only ones.

7Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:34 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:
.... I've learned that adding a few spinners below the float tube as you travel masks your human generated sounds above. It attracts the fishes that are swimming more than 20ft away from you, giving you a chance to catch them during trolling. Works very well with shellcracker (redear sunfish) and catfish.
Hey Leo this is sublime! Great idea. Care to elaborate on size and type of spinner?

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

8Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:25 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sounds production carried by having various blade sizes on different segment of the same branch of the spinner. Example:

Large - Small - Medium - Small - Large

or

Small - medium - small - medium - large

Sounds waves percussion/oscillation by multiple leaves sizes, similar to school of different size fishes breaking the water tension with their tails, attract different predation species. Shimmering of the blades under the float, similar to a floating log, attract protection from above, while feeding on insects at the water surfaces during early and late hours.

I rigged this up using my old framed pontoon, just right below the seat area, with the design like this, spacing out 6" per pair of blades:

Sizes 5/5 Colorado - 4/3 Willow - 5/5 Colorado - 2/2 Willow - 5/5 Colorado

Sizes 4/4 Willow - 2/2 Colorado - 3/3 Willow - 2/2 Willow - 5/5 Colorado

And, to throw things into a frenzy, toss in a few metal ball bearings into a hollow glass crystal jar, dangling just about 6" below the water surface near the anchor line. You may only hear a small chime above water, but below, it's a noise fest.

9Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:46 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:Sounds production carried by having various blade sizes on different segment of the same branch of the spinner. Example:

Large - Small - Medium - Small - Large

or

Small - medium - small - medium - large

Sounds waves percussion/oscillation by multiple leaves sizes, similar to school of different size fishes breaking the water tension with their tails, attract different predation species. Shimmering of the blades under the float, similar to a floating log, attract protection from above, while feeding on insects at the water surfaces during early and late hours.

I rigged this up using my old framed pontoon, just right below the seat area, with the design like this, spacing out 6" per pair of blades:

Sizes 4/4 Willow - 2/2 Colorado - 3/3 Willow - 2/2 Willow - 5/5 Colorado

And, to throw things into a frenzy, toss in a few metal ball bearings into a hollow glass crystal jar, dangling just about 6" below the water surface near the anchor line. You may only hear a small chime above water, but below, it's a noise fest.
That is awesome Leo.
Your tube is like an aquatic gypsy wagon!

Ive got a mess of vintage spinners I could dehook and dangle under the seat. I like the bottle of ball bearings idea, too.

The stuff you come up with.

Now, do you think this stuff helps?

10Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:51 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The high end tech sound system helped anglers on so many different levels, of course, at a nice price tag. I simply use a more traditional approach of a poor man's tech. It worked, and gave me a few edges during slow days. It gave me a heck of an edge during spawning seasons. It will surely help you.

11Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

@TheAsianGuy I am gonna have to try dragging a spinnerbait one day. That's great info Thumbs Up 

12Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Empty Re: Tube Fishing = Stealth Fishing Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:25 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

fatboy531 wrote:@TheAsianGuy I am gonna have to try dragging a spinnerbait one day. That's great info Thumbs Up 
Typical Leo.
He's just got it like that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum