FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Today at 6:22 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New to float tube fishing help!

+5
Litefoot
Jerdon
Ornery Bob
jeffcpr
tkim43
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New to float tube fishing help! Empty New to float tube fishing help! Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:36 pm

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hello, My name is Tiffany and I just got a new float tube Very Happy . I was wondering if anyone can meet up with me to show me the ropes. I usually fish freshwater so I can't wait to try saltwater. I want to check out either newport harbor or corona del mar. I really want to check out the bait barge as well. Thank you Razz

2New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey welcome to the forum glad you found us i am sure someone will get you out in to Newport soon. We have an event we are working on newport for the 19th this month maybe that will work for you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 pm

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

jeffcpr wrote:Hey welcome to the forum glad you found  us i am sure someone will get you out in to Newport soon.  We have an event we are working  on newport for the 19th this month maybe that will work for  you.

What time is the event and where is it going to be held? Very Happy I would definitely like to come!

4New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Newport is easy to understand before you go. Search Google Earth and Google Maps for the Newport Beach Coast Guard Station on Bayside Drive.

There's a small public parking lot right there at the station that doesn't officially open until six, but I usually get there between 5:30 and 6:00 and I've never had a problem.

Once you get in the water, head for the jetties. The bait barge will be somewhere inside the jetties and is easy to see once you get there. Just look for the highest concentration of fishermen in the harbor, heh.

I'll be going to Newport on Saturday the 12th to do some recon, but I'm afraid the tides are an issue for me. High tide is at 6:54, so it will basically be slack tide going out to the jetties and the bait barge, so that's cool, but by the time you're ready to head back, the outgoing tide will be in full swing and you'll be pushing against the tide going back to the station. That may not be an issue for you, but for my old guy legs, it stops being fun pretty quick. I did have some good fun with the mackerel bite at the end of the jetties a couple of weeks ago, so it might be worth the grind if your stamina is good.

I'm probably going to head more towards the West end of Balboa, where once I'm ready to head back, the tide and the wind (when it eventually picks up) will be pushing me back to the station.

Either way, if you don't get out before then, company is always welcome!

5New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:53 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

tkim43 wrote:
jeffcpr wrote:Hey welcome to the forum glad you found  us i am sure someone will get you out in to Newport soon.  We have an event we are working  on newport for the 19th this month maybe that will work for  you.

What time is the event and where is it going to be held? Very Happy I would definitely like to come!

Ornery Bob nailed it here is the link to the event.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum Tiffany!

It is always more comfortable having someone along the first time you take out a new tube.
There are a lot of great people here willing to help so have fun.

7New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Tiffany always nice to have a new member we always have a good time out there no matter what so try and make it to Newport just sign up and let him know you're coming on the 19th it will be fun rabbit rabbit

8New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:34 pm

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ornery Bob wrote:Newport is easy to understand before you go. Search Google Earth and Google Maps for the Newport Beach Coast Guard Station on Bayside Drive.

There's a small public parking lot right there at the station that doesn't officially open until six, but I usually get there between 5:30 and 6:00 and I've never had a problem.

Once you get in the water, head for the jetties. The bait barge will be somewhere inside the jetties and is easy to see once you get there. Just look for the highest concentration of fishermen in the harbor, heh.

I'll be going to Newport on Saturday the 12th to do some recon, but I'm afraid the tides are an issue for me. High tide is at 6:54, so it will basically be slack tide going out to the jetties and the bait barge, so that's cool, but by the time you're ready to head back, the outgoing tide will be in full swing and you'll be pushing against the tide going back to the station. That may not be an issue for you, but for my old guy legs, it stops being fun pretty quick. I did have some good fun with the mackerel bite at the end of the jetties a couple of weeks ago, so it might be worth the grind if your stamina is good.

I'm probably going to head more towards the West end of Balboa, where once I'm ready to head back, the tide and the wind (when it eventually picks up) will be pushing me back to the station.

Either way, if you don't get out before then, company is always welcome!

I probably wont be able to make it on saturday the 12th but I will be going out that sunday the 13th. I found a friend who will kayak fish, while I float tube. I would love to meet up with you Very Happy

9New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Sunday works for me. See you there!

10New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:39 am

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ornery Bob wrote:Sunday works for me. See you there!

Okay sounds good! Do i wear chest waders when I float tube fish saltwater? should i get a wetsuit instead?

thank you! Very Happy

11New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:47 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

tkim43 wrote:
Ornery Bob wrote:Sunday works for me. See you there!

Okay sounds good! Do i wear chest waders when I float tube fish saltwater? should i get a wetsuit instead?

thank you! Very Happy

Waders are more comfortable than wet suits for me.

12New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:40 am

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hi there Tiffany and welcome to the FTFF! This is a great place with nice anglers that can help you with your float tube journey for sure! I would like to ad a few things to the great replies above along with a few questions to ask you. First, being a surfer, I use to think I would just wear my wet suit when I tube. Although that is an option, it's best to get the right equipment from the get go with out having to purchase multiple times. When we all float tube, staying comfortable and dry is very important. Sure during the Summer months, I have tubed Newport Harbor in just board shorts but that is when the water is warm and in the upper 65 degrees. Best to buy breathable waders or if you have them already, wear chest high waders. When I first started float tubing, my first purchase was Neoprene waders. I know many still use them and they are great but, I found Neoprene waders to be tough to put on and tough to remove. Also, they were not comfortable for me. My next purchase are the waders I still use. Breathable light waders. During these months, I can even put on a pair of thermal layer and still be able to fir just fine into my waders. If you would like any suggestions, I put a link to the type of waders I use:

You don't need the $300 or above price range. SIMMS makes a really great product and mine is in the $200.00 range. Next is, what type of fins are you using?

Newport Harbor is a great place for a first or anytime saltwater session. However, I wanted to suggest for your first trip to the salt, the Coast Guard Station is not a great place to start. It is a great area to fish with access to boat docks, moored boats and the Eel Grass right out in front of the station. Problem is, later in the morning, the wind picks up and blows pretty much consistent right down "the pipe". I have found myself kicking against the wind and not making much distance when the conditions come up. There are areas more to the interior of NPH where it is much more protected from the wind and the fishing can be just as good. Of course it's your preference and where the other tubers are meeting up for the day. What make and model float tube did you get?

I've been trying to get out with the guys here and just have been so busy with work. Sunday might be good for me as well and I might just meet up with you all. If Ornery Bob decides to try a new area, I have some great spots more inner in the harbor. Welcome to the forum and it's going to be fun on the water! Very Happy

13New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:55 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I wear the breathable chest highs as well with sweat pants underneath and I stay comfy.

Volcom, I'd love to learn some "inner harbor" launch spots, so hit me up with an address or explain where to go and we'll move this party inward.

The Coast Guard station came to mind first when Tiffany mentioned the bait barge, but I'd actually prefer to fish the inner harbor on Sunday.

14New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 am

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:I wear the breathable chest highs as well with sweat pants underneath and I stay comfy.

Volcom, I'd love to learn some "inner harbor" launch spots, so hit me up with an address or explain where to go and we'll move this party inward.

The Coast Guard station came to mind first when Tiffany mentioned the bait barge, but I'd actually prefer to fish the inner harbor on Sunday.

I actually don't think the bait barge is in the harbor any longer. Usually this time of year the NPH Bait Barge is no longer in service and towed to storage in the inner harbor. However, I'm not certain on this as it could have changed. My go to spots more in the inner harbor is all very structure oriented. Boat docks and moored boats mainly. Depends on our new tuber Tiffany what she is looking to target. The bait barge area of course is fun with a mix bag of species but, it's in the open water section of the harbor with a ton of boat traffic on a weekend. Water temperature looks to be in the low to mid 60's. Good time for a legal size Halibut from NPH!

15New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Mscustomflies

Mscustomflies
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

60's that's short weather, we've just had a week of low temperatures over here in the UK -2deg c overnight temperature and a short spell of snow, I'd imagine the water temperature will be around 50 when I get out on Monday, best layer up.

You guys have some cool spots to tube

16New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:15 am

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

volcomsurfrider wrote:Hi there Tiffany and welcome to the FTFF! This is a great place with nice anglers that can help you with your float tube journey for sure! I would like to ad a few things to the great replies above along with a few questions to ask you. First, being a surfer, I use to think I would just wear my wet suit when I tube. Although that is an option, it's best to get the right equipment from the get go with out having to purchase multiple times. When we all float tube, staying comfortable and dry is very important. Sure during the Summer months, I have tubed Newport Harbor in just board shorts but that is when the water is warm and in the upper 65 degrees. Best to buy breathable waders or if you have them already, wear chest high waders. When I first started float tubing, my first purchase was Neoprene waders. I know many still use them and they are great but, I found Neoprene waders to be tough to put on and tough to remove. Also, they were not comfortable for me. My next purchase are the waders I still use. Breathable light waders. During these months, I can even put on a pair of thermal layer and still be able to fir just fine into my waders. If you would like any suggestions, I put a link to the type of waders I use:

You don't need the $300 or above price range. SIMMS makes a really great product and mine is in the $200.00 range. Next is, what type of fins are you using?

Newport Harbor is a great place for a first or anytime saltwater session. However, I wanted to suggest for your first trip to the salt, the Coast Guard Station is not a great place to start. It is a great area to fish with access to boat docks, moored boats and the Eel Grass right out in front of the station. Problem is, later in the morning, the wind picks up and blows pretty much consistent right down "the pipe". I have found myself kicking against the wind and not making much distance when the conditions come up. There are areas more to the interior of NPH where it is much more protected from the wind and the fishing can be just as good. Of course it's your preference and where the other tubers are meeting up for the day. What make and model float tube did you get?

I've been trying to get out with the guys here and just have been so busy with work. Sunday might be good for me as well and I might just meet up with you all. If Ornery Bob decides to try a new area, I have some great spots more inner in the harbor. Welcome to the forum and it's going to be fun on the water! Very Happy

So, I took out the float tube today at santa ana river lakes to try it in low wind for about 5 hours alone. Then the wind was definitely pushing me and I don't think i had the most comfortable waders, because they had the rubber boots attached and were hurting my feet. Then I noticed that the float tube fins I thought would suffice which are the caddis float tube fins with the tie didn't really help. I think that I should just take a kayak out for sunday instead with my friend since I don't want to cancel on her and want to get the right equipment before I head out to the ocean. Also, I was reading about getting an anchor and how that may help. I really appreciate yours and everyones advice, because I think i would've been a mess if I just went out there with the equipment I have now. Oh and I have a CDC 420 grey float tube creek company. salute Very Happy

17New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:22 am

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ornery Bob wrote:I wear the breathable chest highs as well with sweat pants underneath and I stay comfy.

Sorry Bob! Sad , looks like i'll be kayak fishing this sunday, because i don't have the right waders and float tube fins. After fishing for 5 hours in santa ana river lakes with the equipment I had to test everything out, my feet were hurting and the caddis float tube fins didn't suit me very well. However, I will be kayak fishing with my friend this sunday and you're more than welcome to join. I can private message you my phone number

18New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:26 am

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

volcomsurfrider wrote:

I actually don't think the bait barge is in the harbor any longer. Usually this time of year the NPH Bait Barge is no longer in service and towed to storage in the inner harbor. However, I'm not certain on this as it could have changed. My go to spots more in the inner harbor is all very structure oriented. Boat docks and moored boats mainly. Depends on our new tuber Tiffany what she is looking to target. The bait barge area of course is fun with a mix bag of species but, it's in the open water section of the harbor with a ton of boat traffic on a weekend. Water temperature looks to be in the low to mid 60's. Good time for a legal size Halibut from NPH!

hahah i want to just catch everything, but also get live sardines. I've been wanting to try it after my friend told me about it. She told me I can get them at the bait barge. I wanted to do one line with a live sardine and use the other rod for artificials. Razz

19New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:26 am

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hi Tiffany! Ya the waders with the rubber boots are not really made for float tubing. Smile On your fin situation, I asked because I have tried all the "made for float tubing" fins on the market and I did not like any of them. They either hurt my feet or they just were not efficient in the kick to propulsion ratio. I use dive fins. They are easy to put on and easy to take off. Plus they work great! I can push a wake when I kick hard enough. If you want to give float tubing another try, I have 3 sets of dive fins in different lengths. You can try them if you want and see what moves you more comfortable and or better. Being pushed by the wind is not fun! The ODC 420 is a nice tube! Did you catch any fish at Santa Ana River Lakes? My friend told me the Tilapia are going good!

20New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Hello again Tiffany,

I know several people who use fins over there boot foot waders. Most of them use Force Fin adjustable. The down side is price, they are 220 bucks new. I know 2 people who have used Outcast Power Kick Fins one person loved them and the other person did not. If you like your waders I can recommend the Force Fins. Both of these fins are made to go over boots. Here are the links to find either of these fins new.

21New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:45 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hi ya Tiffany,

I have a used 4th set of sock foot breathable waders (no leaks) that I'm pricing at $60
if you'd be interested. I also have (2) extra 2-way pumps, a new 7-ft Shimano spinning rod, life jacket, etc. for sale.

I'm located in San Pedro, you'd have to travel here to view all the items.

PM me your number if interested. Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

22New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Sorry Bob! Sad , looks like i'll be kayak fishing this sunday, because i don't have the right waders and float tube fins.

No problem. Hope you can make it to next week's Toy Drive!

23New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:35 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Welcome Tiffany....seems your pretty dialed in with all this great information.....Im a week guy, i havent been out in a bit cuz of my waders..but new ones are coming and ill be out this saturday...and if for any reason you ever wanna try a night run LOL...come on out, i usually go wednedays....just bring a few head lamps Smile anyways enjoy you stay and hope to see you on the water soon!

24New to float tube fishing help! Empty Re: New to float tube fishing help! Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 pm

tkim43

FTFF Gathering Officer

volcomsurfrider wrote:Hi Tiffany! Ya the waders with the rubber boots are not really made for float tubing. Smile On your fin situation, I asked because I have tried all the "made for float tubing" fins on the market and I did not like any of them. They either hurt my feet or they just were not efficient in the kick to propulsion ratio. I use dive fins. They are easy to put on and easy to take off. Plus they work great! I can push a wake when I kick hard enough. If you want to give float tubing another try, I have 3 sets of dive fins in different lengths. You can try them if you want and see what moves you more comfortable and or better. Being pushed by the wind is not fun! The ODC 420 is a nice tube! Did you catch any fish at Santa Ana River Lakes? My friend told me the Tilapia are going good!

I did end up catching 3 trout after i got off the float tube. hahah. How much for the dive fins and will they fit me? I wear size 6.5 in women's so thats what im worried about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum