FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Today at 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Sunglasses????

+7
Sheriffdad
flyfishingfool
aj7798
fatboy531
TheAsianGuy
.:LOLLY:.
Robsabloke
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Which Sunglasses???? Empty Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Robsabloke

Robsabloke
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I was wondering what you guys regard as the best sunglasses for fishing. Sight fishing in particular… looking for beds… that kind of thing. Most expensive isn't always the best???? Or is it ????

2Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I always thought blue polarized were the best since all the fishing guys on tv wear them lol! 
I bought some blue ones and kind of wish I didn't. Later on I found out blue is ideal for offshore. For inshore & murkyish water the bronze get the job done better. Either way any pair of polarized lenses will get the job done a lot better than the naked eye.

3Which Sunglasses???? Empty Thanks Lolly Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Robsabloke

Robsabloke
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I tried dark Grey lenses… Blue… then I got a really cheap pair of Bill Dance Amber polarized lenses… Certainly not the most fashionable looking (but with a Tennessee ball cap what's the difference)…
They were very good… cut the glare completely and finding Beds in 10 feet of water was no problem. I think I paid $19 for them… was just curious if anyone knew of a really "outstanding" product.

By the way Lolly… If Iorder a rod holder from you do you still need the measurements or do you already have them on hand for a Super Fat Cat? Do you make anything that has a Go Pro mount in addition to a two rod holder plus Troll rod.(Three Rods total). What's the consensus on Go Pro mounts… head mounted or mounted somewhere on the tube… any ideas?
I'm gonna be getting a fish finder added to the Float tube via The Float Tube Fanatics system… does that influence how you make the rod holder?

4Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lolly got it down with water surface using the blue polarize, especially early in the day as the sun is setting. Great detection of any surface disturbance. Also get a pair of red polarize to see below surface shadows at high noon. Cheap pair of Spyder at Wally is more than sufficient.

I hunt for crawdads as well, so, any visual advantage I can get, I will invest (moderately), beside from an underwater camera. Of course, I let the birds provide me the eyes in the sky advantage, since they like to feast on the smaller crawdad, leaving me the larger ones to enjoy my boils.

5Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would need the dims again just to verify since my last file got corrupted when I stopped building for a while... Lately I have been getting requests with a go-pro mount so I am currently looking into it. Depending on where you want the go-pro will determine how the rack will get built to accommodate it. And for the float tube fanatics mount, I highly doubt it'll get in the way of the rod rack itself. The only thing is if you have them both on the same side you might have to reach over or around your fish finder to get to the trolling rod depending on how tall your fish finder is.

6Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:03 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a pair of polarized BOLLE amber color shades. They work great. Helps me see into the water much better. They are easy on the eyes. I got them on sale at big5

7Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:43 pm

aj7798

aj7798
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

kaenons all the way!

8Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

fatboy531 wrote:I have a pair of polarized BOLLE amber color shades. They work great. Helps me see into the water much better. They are easy on the eyes. I got them on sale at big5
X2. Amber colored lens sunglasses work best to see into water.

My first pair of amber lens sunglasses were Hoven Sunglasses which are really great. Paid about $60 for them and lasted me for about 3yrs.
I currently use Haber Sunglasses(amber lens). Paid $100 for them. They're a good pair of sunglasses for the price and they have excellent customer service.

I really wanted to pick up some Smith Optic sunglasses but the price was a little too much for me ($200). Maybe the next pair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

9Which Sunglasses???? Empty Sunglasses Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:07 am

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

For a good price, and good results, look at Typhoons [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Lot's of selections (style, colors, sizing) to choose from.

10Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Sheriff, those are nice, thanks for the link (by the way, i fixed your link)

11Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 am

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

wiseguy wrote:Hey Sheriff, those are nice, thanks for the link (by the way, i fixed your link)
Thanks for fixing the link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:59 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Sunglasses for me have always been a bit of a conundrum. I, (in typical asian fashion) am Very nearsighted. I wear a very strong correction. So sunglasses are very expensive for me. One of the real drawbacks, as well, is the manufacturing process for polarization is not conducive to the curvature of my correction and/or the hemispherical coverage I prefer. (flaring and refraction zones are a problem) I have tried the coverall models that you wear over your prescription glasses but I find them heavy and cumbersome. At any rate,...the best sunglass color combination I had made for me was an Amber + 1/4 orange + ND .9 (neutral density grey) polarized. I had them made for me back in the days when you could order custom color/density sunglasses. I don't know if it is possible now. I do not wear sunglasses at present.( I don't sight fish anymore so I don't miss them as much. ) I know I should wear them but somehow I just don't miss them as much as I thought. Besides I can't afford the ones I want!  Hee Hee!!

bodfish

13Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:08 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This a good topic i never really understood the color side of polorized glass. Now i think i get it thanks.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

14Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:43 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:Hey Guys,
Sunglasses for me have always been a bit of a conundrum. I, (in typical asian fashion) am Very nearsighted. I wear a very strong correction. So sunglasses are very expensive for me. One of the real drawbacks, as well, is the manufacturing process for polarization is not conducive to the curvature of my correction and/or the hemispherical coverage I prefer. (flaring and refraction zones are a problem) I have tried the coverall models that you wear over your prescription glasses but I find them heavy and cumbersome. At any rate,...the best sunglass color combination I had made for me was an Amber + 1/4 orange + ND .9 (neutral density grey) polarized. I had them made for me back in the days when you could order custom color/density sunglasses. I don't know if it is possible now. I do not wear sunglasses at present.( I don't sight fish anymore so I don't miss them as much. ) I know I should wear them but somehow I just don't miss them as much as I thought. Besides I can't afford the ones I want!  Hee Hee!!

bodfish
Yep, I wear heavy corrective glasses too. Like you, I search for the glasses I can wear, rather than shove the contact lens into my eyeballs when I can help it. The cost is roughly 3x more than the contacts for the whole year, and the best pair of sunshades on the market. I'll stay away from that for the moment.

You got the colors and shade type down. But don't forget the blue as well. When blue is filtered, you can see other spectrum that will give you much higher visibility as well that you normally don't see from the grey filter, or even close to pitch black color filter.

15Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:34 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Hey asain guy, have you tried Cocoons sunglasses? They go over your prescription glasses.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

16Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:45 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yes, I have. The overall effects is way too overburden on the facial nasal ridge, both prescription and sunglasses. I rather wear a goggle designed by Bole for snowboard over my glasses than any additional frame that adds the weight to the nasal ridge.

17Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Oakleys all the way, I have owned others but keep going back to Oakleys for all my needs.

18Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:04 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Copy that!
By far, over the years, the Oakleys are the tuffest glasses I have owned. All my prescription frames have been Oakleys for the last 20 years.

bodfish

19Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:20 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Got two from Oakley, M-Frames, with ballistic lens to boost. Perfect for work, and sports needs, while looking damn cool too.

20Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Oakley's are not the cheapest but they are the best IMO. Lifetime warranty on there frames, lens are unbreakable and you can get replacement lens or extras for cheap.

21Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I guess I need to start reading this thread my sunglasses just broke.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

22Which Sunglasses???? Empty Re: Which Sunglasses???? Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

I wear VonZippers polorized, they work champion! cost about hundo, oh and VZ will replace the lenses for free if they get scratched, only thiing is they wont b polorized....but they will send you a new set of lenses...i had this done, i guess a week for them was to long..they ended up sending 2 free pairs of lenses, great customer service!!!

tony G

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum