FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Today at 10:56 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 8:27 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

cleaning your tube after a sea outing

+6
Yellowrock
Pdawg
Wyu
Ifishtoolittle
dayhut
IEBADBOY
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty cleaning your tube after a sea outing Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:52 am

IEBADBOY

IEBADBOY
FTFF Gathering Officer

what are some tips or tricks to help save the life of your tube after fishing it in the bay?
thanks

2cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I don't know, but I'd think a fresh water rinse would be first.
Then, maybe some sort of protectant for the underside would be useful, and a UV inhibiting application for the topside fabric, too.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

3cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wash with soap and water. I usually leave my tube 3/4 inflated when I clean the darn thing. First, I rinse off any sand or rocks with water. Next, I scrub my tube with soap using a soft towel. Finally, I rinse off with water and leave to dry. Keep in mind that if you choose to not deflate your tube when drying you'll need to deflate half of it. This will prevent the bladder of the tube from popping as the air in the bladder expands from the heat.

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I wash it down like you would with a boat.

First I rinse it down then I scrub it down with soap and water then rinse off again. Then I stand it up and allow it to dry.

IEBADBOY

IEBADBOY
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks guys I just worried about it getting ruined with the salt not like there cheep. So just regular soap?

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I usually add about a tablespoon of carwashing soap and mix with 16-20oz of hose water, and I'm good to go. lol my inflatable ride needs the best cleaning solution out there you know?  Red Smile 

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

my donut is filthy. wiping the leftover unibutter dosent help and the plague of lizards dosent help. tube needs a rape shower..

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Pdawg wrote:my donut is filthy. wiping the leftover unibutter dosent help and the plague of lizards dosent help. tube needs a rape shower..

Bro, you need a Shawshank Redemption rape scene action for your tube. You can name your tube Andy from now on.
 Red Smile 

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

like most peeps here said, i use regular dish soap...hose it down and i have this little brush that i use to get all the dirt off.....then just let it sit to dry off.... Thumbs Up 

10cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Bwaaaa SS Andy !!!

11cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Some things never get clean...

12cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

just hose it down thats all i do

13cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:28 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Just a suggestion though. The salt is not the detrimental effect of your vinyl layers, but rather, the combination of salt + UV + thermal effects what will cause havoc on your tubes. As everyone said, a tiny bit of detergent to wash down your tube after every outing is one way to remove the salt. But adding an additional layer of protection on the tube will protect it from UV wear, and a portion of thermal effects. I've been testing the effects between the basic protection of liquid Turtle Wax, Armour All, some of the generic material got from Freight Harbor, and 303 Aerospace Protectant (freakishly expensive compared to the other stuff), I can say for sure that the 303 Aerospace Protectant is doing a splendid job. The fresh waters around here are really not fresh at all. Salinity level is about 1/3, if not 1/2, of the oceanic water. I'll be testing the 303 Aerospace Protectant against the 10x saltier than oceanic from Salton Sea in the upcoming months on both float tubes, a few fishing gears, and the kayaks.

The application of the 303 Aerospace Protectant is the first initial wash/wipe down of the equipment, spray on, spread it out with a non-absorbing material, wait for 15 minutes, and gently wipe again with a very tiny amount of the liquid wax again. Next outing just wash down without detergent, and you're good to go. It's designed for marine's application as well. I notice there's an odd higher thermal dissipation load using the IR remote thermometer, compared to non-application site on my Fish Cat 4. The Hobie's plastic kayak haul is much less than the Fish Cat. Still scratching my head on the oddity of the differences.

Beside the car, I've tested it on my kitchen counter, dish rack drain pan (going on for 3 months now with single application), stainless steel fridge (regular clean up + kids + dirty hands = oiyyyyy), bathroom plastic-tile-glass walls, and so far, I'm very impress. $40/gal is a ridiculous cost, but worth it.

Just two cents for you guys.

14cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote: I'll be testing the 303 Aerospace Protectant against the 10x saltier than oceanic from Salton Sea in the upcoming months on both float tubes, a few fishing gears, and the kayaks.

Float tubing the Sea? Gross. lol.

15cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:53 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:Just a suggestion though. The salt is not the detrimental effect of your vinyl layers, but rather, the combination of salt + UV + thermal effects what will cause havoc on your tubes. As everyone said, a tiny bit of detergent to wash down your tube after every outing is one way to remove the salt. But adding an additional layer of protection on the tube will protect it from UV wear, and a portion of thermal effects. I've been testing the effects between the basic protection of liquid Turtle Wax, Armour All, some of the generic material got from Freight Harbor, and 303 Aerospace Protectant (freakishly expensive compared to the other stuff), I can say for sure that the 303 Aerospace Protectant is doing a splendid job. The fresh waters around here are really not fresh at all. Salinity level is about 1/3, if not 1/2, of the oceanic water. I'll be testing the 303 Aerospace Protectant against the 10x saltier than oceanic from Salton Sea in the upcoming months on both float tubes, a few fishing gears, and the kayaks.

The application of the 303 Aerospace Protectant is the first initial wash/wipe down of the equipment, spray on, spread it out with a non-absorbing material, wait for 15 minutes, and gently wipe again with a very tiny amount of the liquid wax again. Next outing just wash down without detergent, and you're good to go. It's designed for marine's application as well. I notice there's an odd higher thermal dissipation load using the IR remote thermometer, compared to non-application site on my Fish Cat 4. The Hobie's plastic kayak haul is much less than the Fish Cat. Still scratching my head on the oddity of the differences.

Beside the car, I've tested it on my kitchen counter, dish rack drain pan (going on for 3 months now with single application), stainless steel fridge (regular clean up + kids + dirty hands = oiyyyyy), bathroom plastic-tile-glass walls, and so far, I'm very impress. $40/gal is a ridiculous cost, but worth it.

At the beginning of this thread I suggested using something to combat UV degradation and offer general protectant benefits. . . and Leo reminds us of this stuff. Ive said it before - if Leo likes it, you can hardly go wrong.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

16cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

TheAsianGuy wrote:Just a suggestion though. The salt is not the detrimental effect of your vinyl layers, but rather, the combination of salt + UV + thermal effects what will cause havoc on your tubes. As everyone said, a tiny bit of detergent to wash down your tube after every outing is one way to remove the salt. But adding an additional layer of protection on the tube will protect it from UV wear, and a portion of thermal effects. I've been testing the effects between the basic protection of liquid Turtle Wax, Armour All, some of the generic material got from Freight Harbor, and 303 Aerospace Protectant (freakishly expensive compared to the other stuff), I can say for sure that the 303 Aerospace Protectant is doing a splendid job. The fresh waters around here are really not fresh at all. Salinity level is about 1/3, if not 1/2, of the oceanic water. I'll be testing the 303 Aerospace Protectant against the 10x saltier than oceanic from Salton Sea in the upcoming months on both float tubes, a few fishing gears, and the kayaks.

interesting.  I just emailed them to get clarification whether it'll be safe to use on heavy denier nylon and pvc.  Sound like it will be ok.  Concerning price - are you still on your first application with the tube and the Hobie?  How much product did you need to apply on both?  If it's not much, I think O'reilly's has it for $9 for an 8 oz. spray bottle. I'd try it for that much. On 303's site, I think I even saw 303 AP wipes.  Now that would be convenient but, more expensive (and environmentally unfriendly.)  Amazon had them for something like 40 wipes for $11.

17cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:12 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

chipmcd wrote:
interesting.  I just emailed them to get clarification whether it'll be safe to use on heavy denier nylon and pvc.  Sound like it will be ok.  Concerning price - are you still on your first application with the tube and the Hobie?  How much product did you need to apply on both?  If it's not much, I think O'reilly's has it for $9 for an 8 oz. spray bottle. I'd try it for that much. On 303's site, I think I even saw 303 AP wipes.  Now that would be convenient but, more expensive (and environmentally unfriendly.)  Amazon had them for something like 40 wipes for $11.

I've purchased the 1 gal size, $42 including shipping, through Amazon. I have the 16oz and 32oz in the past, which set me back $17 to $24. I went smart this time around and purchase the bulk. I stay away from the wipes, since the wipes contain very little of the solution you need. The wipe may be good for your gears, but still, I rather apply what I need through the bulk.

The Hobie has gone through various application since last November. Best to use it once a month, for the first 3 months. After that, it's after every few months. Just spray down, and you're done.

I use a non-absorbing cloth/microfiber rag, put some in a spray bottle, and lightly spray a fine mist over the hull. Spread it all over the hull, and let the damp layer sit for at least 3 hours. I let it sit over night. Come back, use the same rag, this time, spray a very minimal layer (1 light spray can now coat and polish a 5ftx5ft area). This can be the same for the float tube.

I've done it for my stainless steel fridge, dish washing rack and drain pan, along with fishing rods/reels, the guides, and fly fishing lines. Let's say, after a few months, it convinced me quite well.

Updating on the last outing at Salton Sea, using the 303 on the gears. Didn't use the kayak or the float tube due to high wind..really high wind..The fishing gears gone through various test, with salinity load in the 8x to 12x higher than the ocean. The body of the treated rods and reels stood up to the quick drying salt content quite well. The top rod guide for each rod (taking most salt content) get caked up pretty fast with dried salt. Quick splash of fresh water dissolve the salt, and the 303 quickly shed off any leftover caked salt. When the day was done, a light mist fresh water, a non absorbing rag (the same I used to apply the 303), and a quick wipe, the rods, reels, and guides were good as first application. Can't say the same for my exposed body, which had a nice layer of caked salt everywhere.

18cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:56 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Got my response from 303 products pretty quick.  Here is what they recommend:

Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Company.  For nylon or any other fabric, we would recommend using 303® Fabric Guard™.  This product was specifically formulated for those types of material.  For any rubber, plastic or vinyl, we recommend using 303® Aerospace Protectant™.

So, for the 840 Denier nylon, we suggest the 303® Fabric Guard and for the PVC we suggest 303® Aerospace Protectant™.  If you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us.

From the quick read I had, Fabric Guard doesn't have the UV protection like Aerospace Protectant but it aids in retaining water repellency. Both repel stains and soil but, fabric guard also resists mildew.

Makes me more curious about their products.

19cleaning your tube after a sea outing Empty Re: cleaning your tube after a sea outing Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:21 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Already look at the chemical compounds to use on their fabric and vinyl type. Since our float tube is not fabric materials, switch it to 303 Aerospace. We're not using vinyl infused fabric materials like the cars do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum