FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

XT Almost Ready!

+2
.:LOLLY:.
BigGreenPontoon51
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1XT Almost Ready! Empty XT Almost Ready! Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 am

BigGreenPontoon51

BigGreenPontoon51
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for all the info, I decided to think outside the box and attack the problem from the rear.

I  youtubed Colorado XT and got some info there ;
1. It seems that some think the motor is more efficient in reverse
2. The site showed several “mods” to mount the motor in the front. From metal, wood, or PVC most looked awkward and heavy and took away the sleek look of the boat. Also they were adding extra weight to the “toon”
3. One showed how to mount the motor backwards and steer with the oars.  This meant turning the head of the motor around.
So I thought I would try to turn things around , and I did.

First I made a jackplate from a 2 by 6  this allowed me to attach the motor mount in the center of the rear bar instead of the left or right side.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
It also means I can use both sides of the predrilled holes to strengthen the attachment to the jackplate.
I then drilled holes in the top center of the jackplate and attached the motor mount.
Now the motor is centered and can’t come into contact with the bladder covers.

The next step was to figure out the most convenient method to use the new position.
I turned my seat 180° and  used the back of the boat for the front.  Now facing the rear of the boat I have the controls and adjustments to the motor right in front of me.
I installed a swivel mount and 3” riser to the seat and can access both front and back by turning the seat around.  If I want to turn to the side and fish no problem, I tried this out and it’s comfy in any direction.

Also the motor faces forward but I have the advantage of running it in reverse. When I need to “beach” my ‘toon I turn to the side and flip the motor into forward speed and drive it up on the shore.

A few more things I had to change:
Since now the back is the front and vice versa I needed a “Deck” for gear and battery.  I fabbed one from a bread tray I got for free from my local supermarket used a couple of cans of camo paint and attached it to a piece of treated 1X6 that I pinned to the foot pegs with 3/8 X 2.5 inch clevis pins.  These went right through the adjustment hole for the foot pegs.
Other add ons include a rod holder mount on the jackplate and a mount for my Humminbird.
I’ ve decided to run a length of battery cable to the front with plugs for the accessories.  I haven’t had to drill even once into my frame I was able to use attachment points that already existed for everything I can still use my anchor, oars, and accessory bags as usual but I face to the rear for normal travel.
I will keep coming up with different “mods”  as the need arises but my goal to make this design better for me and not compromise the integrity of the design is working so far.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />

P.S.  My wife calls the boat  The BASS-ackwards

2XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice job on the mods and really digging the name  Thumbs Up 

3XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:36 am

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Where ya gonna put the kitchen sink?  Cool  Looks a little complicated for my use, but, hey, if works for you, bravo! Can you stand on it?

4XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Bass- ackwards
Very cool!
Have you got to test it yet?

5XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Awesome Jobs with the mods so far , The BASS-ackwards will be slaying fish in no time

WES

6XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 am

BigGreenPontoon51

BigGreenPontoon51
FTFF Gathering Officer

No test yet ! The weather won't give me a break, water temps around here are still pretty chilly. I've had to use the bass boat to fish so far.  But warmer weather is coming and I'm gonna wear this "toon"  Twisted Evil out this summer.

7XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:20 am

Catman1979

Catman1979
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ha! My buddy just sold his old boat, he named The Green Weenie.
Bass-Akwards works as well though...

I still shake my head as to why they didn't put the transom in the center aft? They designed these things so amazingly well, an then you come to the transom and wonder "why".

That is a sweet solution to the front mount trolling motor mods on You Tube!!! They all look like way to much work, and a headache. Very smart idea. Two questions I have though...

1) Could you get away with turning around in your seat (swivel) and controlling the motor? Could you do that with the three inch spacer washers, or do you think you would need longer ones?

2) Why are you using adjustable straps on the bow and aft (the ones that connect the 'toons)?

8XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:55 am

BigGreenPontoon51

BigGreenPontoon51
FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi Bobber, I wondered about the transom design too.
I guess that was a simple solution to allow you to reach the tiller. With a swivel seat and riser mounting it with a jackplate and facing the motor was easier for me.

I used two short pieces of treated 2X8 and bolted them together. I used the original screws that held the seat on (they were like a Lag screw on one end and threaded for the wing nuts on the other) to attach the riser to the rails. I spaced the screws for this a little closer than they were on the seat and it gave me a little more travel on the rails for weight adjustment.

As to the straps, I just had them laying around and snapped them on temporarily. Not sure if I'll leave them or use a bungee.

Testing this out in "DRYDOCK" everything is copacetic I can turn 360 and reach everything.  When I need to run frontwards I turn facing the side of the toon and reach back like using the tiller in a regular boat.

I can send you better pics of how I attached the seat if you are interested.
Thanks for the praise and the questions,

DL

9XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:01 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice tractor setup.
I like the bread tray deck. Wish I could find one; I'm wanting to add a foot/low seating deck to mine.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

10XT Almost Ready! Empty Re: XT Almost Ready! Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Catman1979

Catman1979
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

BigGreenPontoon51 wrote:Hi Bobber, I wondered about the transom design too.
I guess that was a simple solution to allow you to reach the tiller. With a swivel seat and riser mounting it with a jackplate and facing the motor was easier for me.

I used two short pieces of treated 2X8 and bolted them together. I used the original screws that held the seat on (they were like a Lag screw on one end and threaded for the wing nuts on the other) to attach the riser to the rails. I spaced the screws for this a little closer than they were on the seat and it gave me a little more travel on the rails for weight adjustment.

As to the straps, I just had them laying around and snapped them on temporarily. Not sure if I'll leave them or use a bungee.

Testing this out in "DRYDOCK" everything is copacetic I can turn 360 and reach everything.  When I need to run frontwards I turn facing the side of the toon and reach back like using the tiller in a regular boat.

I can send you better pics of how I attached the seat if you are interested.
Thanks for the praise and the questions,

DL

No man that works, thanks!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum