FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Legal halibut on the Fools Bait...almost!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Legal halibut on the Fools Bait...almost! Empty Legal halibut on the Fools Bait...almost! Tue May 06, 2014 11:25 am

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So, found a new spot to fish in San Pedro yesterday. I fished on a high tide. I was throwing the Jack O' lantern bait which is like Halloween for most baits. I was throwing it on a 1/4 oz darter head. I was fishing with my light spinning gear as it was already in the car with 6lb test. I got the fish to the surface and saw that it was clearly over 22" and heavy. It was like 23" or 24". I tried to gently lift the fish from the water over the rail which is about 6' or so and the line snapped and off went the fish.

I also caught a huge lizard fish which I'm guessing to be approx 16" and damn those things have some huge teeth. It is just a lizard so no pics of it.

I'm putting some braid on my reel so this does not happen again at this spot. Braid has almost no stretch and I should be able to lift a halubt out of the water.

I will take pics in the water next time before trying to lift in the event the line snaps.

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You should have harpooned it like in alaska.

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SirMixALot wrote:You should have harpooned it like in alaska.

Its all good, I'm a CPR guy anyways, I just feel bad that the hook is still in the mouth. It was a damn nice fight though

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That sucks about losing the hali but it looks like those baits have been on fire lately. Nice job!

If you plan on bouncing it over the rail you also have to make sure that the rod itself is strong enough to handle the stress so you won't be this guy LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

.:LOLLY:. wrote:That sucks about losing the hali but it looks like those baits have been on fire lately. Nice job!

If you plan on bouncing it over the rail you also have to make sure that the rod itself is strong enough to handle the stress so you won't be this guy LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I fish a teramar on my chronarch or citica reel and a Clarus on my spin gear.  Shimano has a good warranty, but lets hope I never break a rod though.  

I just need a halibut friendly net so I don't hurt the fish. I have an old school net, which has been brought to my attention that it could hurt halibut and cause some sort of fin rot.

I really want a spotted bass vs the halibut, but there is no complaining on my end.  The halibut was a nice fight though.  

If anyone here wants to tube the 22nd street landing marina during the week, PM me.   I don't want to go alone.

Does anyone have a long handle net (halibut friendly) you want to get rid of either free or for some $?

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Good job on the catch!
Best part about breaking stuff is it reminds you to get the new stuff.

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

You need a gaff bro.

SirMixALot wrote:You should have harpooned it like in alaska.

man when I was in Alaska Halibut fishing , this is how our captain took care of them  Thumbs Up  , but they where also 50+ lbs , anything smaller then that was considered a chicken and thrown back

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Good idea. I'm gonna start carrying a shotgun on the cucumber. Just in case...

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I'm down to hit 22nd after work this week as long as it's not windy like today =)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum