FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30

+4
waxon67
Vagabond
BASSGEEK
bayfishingjunkie
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well i had to do some fishing since the SD trip was gone... I went with a friend to NPH last night for some shoreline dock hopping. We arrived at 9:30pm to an out going tide. water was a bit dirty no bait to be seen. started on balboa Island for 1 nice 2 1/2 pound spotty.... from there we took the ferry to the front side by the pavilion and set up at the public dock there for a shot at some batrays.. my friend has never caught anything bigger than 4 pounds and I told him that we needed to get him into the 100 pound club. I baited my 9' 30-50 jigstick with a shimano torium 20 spooled with 425 yards of 40 pound test with a 60 pound leader. and a whole squid on the business end. well it took a whole minute before my clicker began to scream at 50 mph!!! I reared back and it was off to the races. the first run was at least 3/4 of my spool before it slowed down and I began gaining line then I handed the rod over to my friend.. there is nothing that compares to the look on someones face when they feel a "really big fish" on the end of thier line for the very first time. he explained it as surreal. he was fighting it for 20 minutes before handing it back to me. I got it dockside in 15 minutes and it was easily 120 plus.... I cut the line and let the beast swim away. I rebaited and about ten minutes later I was on again only this time the result was very different. I got completely spooled of all my line in 15 seconds.... I never even slowed it down for a second..... I finished up the night with 3 more spotties and the great memory of an exciting night.

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

badass trip man. nice catches. cheers

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice, gotta love those rays. Nothing fights like they do in that harbor... unless you snag a seal lol. hmmm making me want to load up a couple old penn reels and hit the public dock one of these nights.

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

shit man if it's that fun i down to go when you guy's go again and ill bring my float tube rod and try and fight. Rambo

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Bat rays are fun! But on a tube? Mmmm...only caught them from shore. Kick ass story though!! Ed's caught a couple here and there and even the small ones are a hoot!!

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:Nice, gotta love those rays. Nothing fights like they do in that harbor... unless you snag a seal lol. hmmm making me want to load up a couple old penn reels and hit the public dock one of these nights.

Let's do it.

I have to ad to bayfishingjunkie's report. I use to go to NPH and fish the same area's he fishes and do the exact same thing! There is nothing I mean NOTHING like the fun that is associated with Bat Ray fishing in NPH. That was a regular Friday night outing for a couple of friends and I back in high school. Gear used are Shimano Trinidad 20's and up on 7 to 8' Gloomis sticks. Lightest line would be 30LB and heaviest would be 50LB. 60LB Leader and depending on the movement of the tide, 2OZ to 6OZ of sinker. Slip rigged on a 4/0 Owner. A whole or 2 whole Squids pinned on and give it a heave out towards the NPH channel. Then it's set your clicker, put your rod down and just shoot the breeze with good friends. Watch the sunset, grab a burger and soda. The real meaning of sitting on the dock of the bay! For the guys that have not experienced this, let me tell you, it is such a RUSH! When the clicker goes off, you grab the rod, set the clicker off let the fish take the bait for a good 5 count, put the reel in gear and HANG ON! It is like hooking into the back of a semi truck! I have been there and hooked up on rays so big, I have to sit at the end of the dock and have 2 friends hold on to me from behind! I will post some pics some time! We caught and landed Rays on a regular basis over 100 pounds. I have rays we measured and estimated well over 200 pounds! AND like junkie, I have been SPOOLED! I've had hook ups where on 50LB and a Tiagra 20 2 speed with the drag close to locked down, not even stop! They never knew they were hooked! They would just peel like off like NOTHING! SPOOLED! Boy the adrenalin and the experience is super awesome! On slow nights, while the rods are sitting waiting for a run, we will go bass fishing around the area. Spank a few Spotties while we are at it! Wow, haha... good times!

LC

8midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 am

Dano67

Dano67

I would like to do this now also!!

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

count me in too bro.

10midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

good lord what did I start...

I havn't gotten a ray in a tube yet but I got one on my Cobra Explorer yak by the Jamboree bridge that dragged me all over the place before it finally broke off. My dad got one when I took him out on a Davey's locker skiff, with a shimano bait runner loaded with 30 lb he fought it and it peeled drage for about 10 minutes before his line broke.

Not sure when the best time is to go but I see guys right before dark start setting up at some of the public docks around Newport right before dark with big penn reels, thick rods and whole squid or anchovies. I got a dock in mind but don't want to just post it up on here for the world.

11midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Mon May 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Vagabond wrote:good lord what did I start...

I havn't gotten a ray in a tube yet but I got one on my Cobra Explorer yak by the Jamboree bridge that dragged me all over the place before it finally broke off. My dad got one when I took him out on a Davey's locker skiff, with a shimano bait runner loaded with 30 lb he fought it and it peeled drage for about 10 minutes before his line broke.

Not sure when the best time is to go but I see guys right before dark start setting up at some of the public docks around Newport right before dark with big penn reels, thick rods and whole squid or anchovies. I got a dock in mind but don't want to just post it up on here for the world.

Yep, that's what those guys are doing alright! I know some public docks there that produce better than others. I don't share my favorite dock with forums because like you, this is public for all to see. The Bat Rays are sure fun and sure put your heavy gear to the test!

12midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Mon May 02, 2011 8:05 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I dont know about batraying on the tube... I dont want to end up like steve irwin thats for sure... For those of you that have tangled with the freight trains that swim in NPH I really dont think you can get the leverage needed from a tube unless you have it anchored or something... LC knows what I mean when I say I used to use batrays as a training aid for the tuna season just to build up that stamina... Im down to hit them up again with the crew here anytime... But from the two bites I got I can tell the BIG boys are in there this year... the first one was easily 5' across and nose to tail at least 6' plus.. and it was over a foot thick for sure... the one that spooled me was a beast I never felt its head move at all and It could have easily pulled a novice rayer in the water... whenever I ray fish I make sure I tie a very weak knot to the bottom of my spool... I have witnessed too many rods go swimming into the deep. There used to be a bat ray club in NPH where it took a 200 pounder to get you in.... it was called the lido island Bat Ray club..

13midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Best times for rays in my opinion is from 10pm till 4am but it has to be during good tidal movement.. As far as docks to fish I have caught them from all the public docks there but I too have my favorites and will gladly share with the guys on this site but not the forum surfers just looking for info with no info in return....

14midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Mon May 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Bay,

Next time you want to go, let me know!! I know there are at least two or three of us that would love to go Twisted Evil

15midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 am

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

no problem let me see how this weekend looks

16midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 10:14 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

bayfishingjunkie wrote: There used to be a bat ray club in NPH where it took a 200 pounder to get you in.... it was called the lido island Bat Ray club..

I like the Bat Ray Club pretty cool idea maybe we could open up something like this hear. Good luck out there hope to see a few monsters from you guys after your trip.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

17midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wooHoo metoo. me too!!! afro

18midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Dano67

Dano67

How about a week night?

19midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'd for sure be interested in a night time ray search aswell, just gotta check the line on my reels this week.

20midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 6:30 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:Bay,

Next time you want to go, let me know!! I know there are at least two or three of us that would love to go Twisted Evil

I'm one for sure if that's ok?

21midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Okay maybe at least 8 Smile

22midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 6:34 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:Okay maybe at least 8 Smile

Well I count for at least two!!

23midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Week nights work too but it's just crappy that you have to work the next day. We stay until 1am sometimes. I'm game if anyone else is good to go.

24midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 8:35 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ya I can possibly get next day off if the timing is right. If not I will catch the next one. Ha ha "catch" "next one" things we say when fishing. I am soooo easily amused. green happy

25midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Empty Re: midnight run in Newport bay 4/29-4/30 Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 pm

waxon67 wrote:Ya I can possibly get next day off if the timing is right. If not I will catch the next one. Ha ha "catch" "next one" things we say when fishing. I am soooo easily amused. green happy

LOL @ Tom!! HAHA! "catch the next one" haha! Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum