FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

How close did we Really Come ?

+2
jeffcpr
dlobo
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How close did we Really Come ? Empty How close did we Really Come ? Fri May 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Man one of Southern California's premier Fishing spots was almost going to be drained to a mud hole and I am talking about Lake Perris ... We just recently escaped losing a great fishing and swimming and boating resource , due to this drought ... Thank goodness they found some other water to divert .

I know lakes like DVL , Castaic and Perris are there for water resources and to help preserve us in these times of need , but what a loss this would have been ..  

Story below if you have not seen it  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jesus

3How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Fri May 16, 2014 6:03 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Man that is crazy we really need to be on top of this guys, we are in a very bad drought. We should be watching this and trying to understand it better, this is our hobby and or enjoyment, so we should be in the know.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Fri May 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for sharing Wes!

5How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Sat May 17, 2014 8:17 am

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Blame those damn Stoners!!!

Marijuana farms drain water resources
By Erin Loury, FISHBIO.com
04/21/14 -- [Posted with permission of FISHBIO.com] In a year of extreme drought, one of the drains on California's water supply has been generating a particular buzz: illegal marijuana farming. A number of news outlets have highlighted the unchecked degradation and consumption of natural resources - most notably, water - resulting from these shadowy grow operations, and the consequent impact on salmon in nearby watersheds. With the legalization of marijuana in Washington and Colorado, pot farms are booming, particularly in northern California's "Emerald Triangle" region of Mendocino, Humboldt, and Trinity counties, which produces more cannabis than anywhere else in the nation. This region also includes the Eel and Klamath rivers, which have historically supported bountiful salmon populations. In a dry year where every water drop counts, more than a few drops are going unaccounted for in an area where an unregulated industry overlaps important fish habitat.
photo by Pavel Sevela, Cannibas Sativa plant, pot plants Cannabis Sativa Plant, photo by Pavel Sevela
A pot plant's demand for water is nothing short of staggering. A single marijuana plant can suck up six gallons of water a day at the peak of the growing season, according to California state officials. A study by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife uncovered an estimated 30,000 plants growing in each of four watersheds in Humboldt and Mendocino counties, representing the use of 180,000 gallons of water per day in these few waterways. In 2012, 838,358 plants were found growing illegally in California's national forests alone, reflecting millions of gallons of water siphoned from the state's water resources. Last summer, 24 tributaries of the Eel River (which were all being used to water cannabis farms) ran completely dry, according to state biologists. Unchecked illegal water diversions could bring about similar disastrous conditions for fish this year, exacerbated by continued drought. Of course, pot farms are just one player in the struggle over water use, as growers are quick to point out - but they are also an unregulated player. Growers often divert water directly from streams without applying for the required permits, and therefore are not held accountable for taking more than their share.

The "guerrilla growers" in question oversee industrial- scale operations, often on public land such as national forests, and degrade the environment in a variety of ways. They clear large swaths of trees, as shown in the Google Earth video above, and leave heaps of trash behind when they disband the plots.
In addition to guzzling water, their activities pollute waterways with sediments, fertilizers, and pesticides. Nutrients in fertilizer can stimulate blooms of green algae, which fuel the growth of bacteria as they break down, ultimately stealing oxygen from fish and their developing eggs. Pot farming spells trouble not just for fish, but for other wildlife such as the fisher (Martes pennanti), a member of the weasel family. A study by UC Davis researchers found that this small mammal, which is a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act in the western United States, is threatened by exposure to rat poisons used in illegal cannabis growing (Gabriel et al. 2012).

California has now banned the sale of such poisons. Similar to the free-for-all frenzy of the California Gold Rush, the current pot boom that some are calling the "Green Rush" [See video above] could also leave a legacy of environmental degradation in its wake.
FISHBIO is a dedicated group of research scientists, engineers, and technicians that specialize in counting, tracking, and analyzing trends in fish and wildlife populations throughout the world. An expert staff, technical capacity, and state-of-the-art equipment make FISHBIO a trailblazer in aquatic research. For more information, please visit FISHBIO.com

6How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Sat May 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i was at last chance yesterday and there was 2 guys in there that just came from the meeting about this after labor day perris will be a pond theres draining the water to the end of the launch ramp after labor day theres draining all the water to the bottom of the dam then they will start fixin the dam

7How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Sat May 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Woaa, so no boat access while they do this work?
Also, does anybody know what exactly is broke with the dam??

8How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Sun May 18, 2014 6:46 am

Jerdon wrote:Woaa, so no boat access while they do this work?
Also, does anybody know what exactly is broke with the dam??

Jerdon not 100% sure , but there was a pipe that busted that was spilling water all over the place , we where not going to see the water dropping much more .. but the unexpected happens and that pipe dropped another 6.5-7ft of water before it was under control .. thats why we all got the phone calls or maybe you seen it on the news to conserve as much water as possible .

Straight from Lake Perris :

Lake Perris will not be impacted by the drought this summer and should have 2 (6) lane Launch Ramps Open from now until Labor Day. After Labor Day depending on demand the lake may be used for water distribution and may impact our amenities. Please join us this summer !

9How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 10:16 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ya thats lake perris sayin after labor day the waters going to drop so go as much as u can this summer cuz it wont be there after that i guess ima have to start fishin canyon lake more

10How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 pm

bad news with the water level dropping I am seeing a lot of fish with some kind of fungus growing on them ...  this cannot be good ..  this was a picture taken of a bass not by me at Perris .. I saw another bass today in the 8-10 lb range cruising the shallows and it had the same exact crap on it   Mad 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 2:31 pm

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

This sucks.

12How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

wow that sucks...poor fish!

13How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Yup poor fish indeed , It is not only bass , I saw pan fish swimming with it today as well .. The ugly Brown Carp don't seem to be bothered ... also I went out on the East end and there was a lot of dead pan fish on shore

14How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 6:41 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

And it's not even summer yet. This isn't looking good.

15How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Mon May 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Dang Wes!
Any good news? And WTH is that on the fish?

16How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Tue May 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Jerdon wrote:Dang Wes!

I would have to say , Fur coat / Aka saprolegnia , But there are many forms of it and it is hard to tell exactly what strain it is with out lab work . It is usually caused by Stress ( spawning , predators , rapid water changes , etc) I have seen this in perris before and even in fish Aquariums I have serviced .

It is not good , as I am seeing a lot of dead fish laying on the beach mostly panfish latley , especially along the east end .

WES

17How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Misfitdog wrote:
Jerdon wrote:Dang Wes!

I would have to say  , Fur coat / Aka saprolegnia , But there are many forms of it and it is hard to  tell exactly what strain it is with out lab work .  It is usually caused by Stress ( spawning , predators , rapid water changes , etc)  I have seen this in perris before and even in fish Aquariums I have serviced .

It is not good , as I am seeing a lot of dead fish laying on the beach mostly panfish latley , especially along the east end .

WES

Well that makes sense. Lake has dropped 12 feet or more in a few months, the influx of stripers, and the spawn has been on.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

18How close did we Really Come ? Empty Re: How close did we Really Come ? Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

that always happens alot of pan fish die off this time of year i never new what it was always thought it was the water temp change or bass killin em by tryin to eat them

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum