FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 1:37 pm

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 12:02 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Today at 11:46 am

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 7:05 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 6:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:31 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 8:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 10:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 1:33 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:31 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

1st time fishin' Jenks Lake

+10
dosomedirt
Vagabond
Tony G Fishing
dlobo
chase1472
Fisher
Jerdon
chipmcd
jeffcpr
Yellowrock
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Originally I was invited to fish this beautiful lake called Jenks Lake that isn't too far from home that's almost up to Eastern Sierra trout fishing action. I'm very skeptical about that but they did say it's closer to home so I bit (oh yeah, pun intended). Dated for Saturday (5/10/14) and it's a go. As the days led closer, I was reminded of a "save the date" from my wife for Mothers Day luncheon. Doh!! It's for the in-law and I dared NOT to even mention ANYTHING to her about previous plans on going fishing so I called up my buddy and broke the news. Of course I get hazed with the "c'mon bruh, u wear the pants in the family" and the "rrriiiight... You're just whooped". Regardless of that I ain't risking crap cause this ain't something I want to have to live through. So off they went and they had a blast. Sad
There were warnings of a Gator found in the lake so that was on my mind the entire time they were there as some posts I have mentioned on another thread before. I get this texted to me:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Turns out, this was a fake. They had a souvenir gator head they brought over to the lake to get that picture. I have to admit. That got me  lol! 

I was off Monday anyways so I said screw it, I love doing solo trips anyways and off I went. Hit the road at 5:30am and get to the gate at 6:40am:

Was the second vehicle there and was stoked. Met two old dudes there (jack and randy). Chit chatted for a ill bit then the ranger opened up the gate (7:00am). :

Parked the car, inflated the tube and carried my gear down the stairs to the sandy beach launch. Very easy launch. Beautiful lake indeed:

Started off on the right side of the pier and kicked until I was about hallways through the lake and bam! Got one on the mini jig on 2 lb test. Cool. Skunk off:

Then bam, got one on the mice tail:

I started to work towards the grass on the furthest left side where my homie told me of a "hole" that held fish at almost every cast with the mini jig. Guess he fished it out cause all I got was a few small dink Bass:

Started back towards the middle and bam... Bam....bam...  Consistently get them on both mice tails and mini jig. Oh boy. That was fun. I even changed it up to trout worms and they hit that too. I think them mofos be hittin' anything that flutters with color. All in all my final count was 36. Not a bad day:

It was tough taking a picture of every fish I caught but I was on a mission to post up a report. This is for the site Jeff  salute

21st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is cool bro thanks very much that looked like a wicked trip buddy. Nice report I would like to try that place out some day.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

31st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:That is cool bro thanks very much that looked like a wicked trip buddy.  Nice report I would like to try that place out some day.

You should. It's a very family friendly place with pic nic tables, restrooms and BBQ grille. Looks like they have kayak rentals available but nobody did that when I was there. It might be for summer camp or something.

41st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 2:40 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Gator in the lake... is that like the shark sighting in Newport to keep people away for the holiday?  affraid 

That place looks really nice.  And good goin's on the fish.

p.s. until recently I've always fished flies for trout. Going with my cousin and his in-laws, it was hard to fly fish from a pontoon boat full of people.  Those mouse tails always cracked me up until a month ago at the Conway Ranch closer when the big fish of the day, a 10.2 lb Alpers was caught on one. I still don't have any in the bag but that may change soon.  BTW, there's a fly pattern that is similar if not the same (egg sucking leech.)

51st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report and pics Yellowrock!
36 fish would be a record for me in a day.

61st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice wtg out there

71st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 6:53 pm

chase1472

FTFF Gathering Officer

WFO for sure.

81st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat May 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

chipmcd wrote:Gator in the lake... is that like the shark sighting in Newport to keep people away for the holiday?  affraid 

That place looks really nice.  And good goin's on the fish.

p.s. until recently I've always fished flies for trout. Going with my cousin and his in-laws, it was hard to fly fish from a pontoon boat full of people.  Those mouse tails always cracked me up until a month ago at the Conway Ranch closer when the big fish of the day, a 10.2 lb Alpers was caught on one. I still don't have any in the bag but that may change soon.  BTW, there's a fly pattern that is similar if not the same (egg sucking leech.)

At first, like you, I wasn't a big fan of mice tails but you can't argue the fact that they do get bit. Like the old saying goes, if you can't beat them, join them. Haha

91st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sun May 25, 2014 8:56 am

Great report and way to kill it out there

101st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 am

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great report. Looks like a beautiful spot also.

111st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Mon May 26, 2014 7:00 am

Great Report and the lake brings back memories of the great fishing I once had there from the tube .. 36 fish seems about right and the patterns did not matter to much , just stay towards the middle like you did and slay away .. great job

WES

121st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Wtg bro u effn mashed it........good job!

131st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Mon May 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice work, that is a nice little lake and there a lot of dink bass hiding under that grass on the far left. Could pull dinks all day from there.

141st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 pm

dosomedirt

dosomedirt
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice color on the fist pic and sound like you killed it out there

151st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Tue May 27, 2014 7:27 am

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

right on. looks fun. water level low?

161st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:06 pm

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

there WAS a live Cayman in that lake for a while though I doubt it survived the winters, was only a couple feet long last I heard.

171st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:22 am

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I went again about a week after this last report and as I was kicking back to shore and through the weeds I saw a large brown object breeze by and my heart stopped for just a moment. Turned out to be a large carp. Whew.

181st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:05 pm

chase1472

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yellowrock wrote:I went again about a week after this last report and as I was kicking back to shore and through the weeds I saw a large brown object breeze by and my heart stopped for just a moment. Turned out to be a large carp. Whew.

hahaha I went yesterday. It was a Pretty good day of fishing. Water temp was 66F. That 5-7Lb Carp was still hanging out in far corner of the lake. On our way out a couple guys caught a baby trout to go and try to snag it.

191st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 pm

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I DID SEE THOSE SIGNS LAST TIME I WENT UP TO JENKS.
I HEARD IT WAS A CAIMAN CROCODILE. SO I WOULDNT WORRY AS THEYRE MAINLY A FISH AND DUCK EATER LOL
LAST TIME I WAS THERE I ENCOUNTERED A SMALL BLACK BEAR THO. WHICH WAS AMAZING. HE WAS SO CLOSE U CAN SMELL THE EARTH ON HIS FUR.
BUT HE WASNT HERE TO BUG...HE WANTED SOME FOOD.
FIRST HE STOLE A LUNCH BAG. NOT A BIG DEAL.
THEN TO MY DISMAY SOMEONE HAD THROWN HIM A HUGE TROUT.
I KNEW THAT BEAR WAS USED TO THAT ATTENTION AND I KNEW THERE WOULD BE CONSEQUENCES.
LATER ON THAT DAY I HEARD ON THE NEWS A PROBLEMATIC BEAR WAS BEING A NUISANCE AND HAD TO BE REHOMED...HOPEFULLY IT WASNT EUTHANIZED...

ALSO THE 2 RESIDENT BALD EAGLES R A SIGHT TOO SEE WHEN THE FLY OVER THE LAKE...AMAZING

201st time fishin' Jenks Lake Empty Re: 1st time fishin' Jenks Lake Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Now I want to go to Jenks lake, great report thanks for sharing.

http://bassinthehood.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum