FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

First time trip to Irvine Lake 1/10/2015

+2
Vagabond
dondraper
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First time trip to Irvine Lake 1/10/2015 Empty First time trip to Irvine Lake 1/10/2015 Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:36 pm

dondraper

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Just got back from my first ever trip to Irvine lake. I got the skunk but I am not too bothered as it was a good reconnaissance mission. Also the first time I was able to get all my new gear in the water.

It is a nice lake and looks like it has a lot of different elements. Some steep drop offs and shallow weedy areas. I am interested to see what kind of vegetation grows in the spring time, seems like spring and summer should be real nice. $24 is a bit steep but I am sure this will be a lake I frequent.

Launched from the West Shore and kicked over to Rocky Point. Saw a bunch of fish from the tip to the south side of rocky point on my FF in the 11' to 25' range. Water was 54 degrees. I was throwing drop shot Roboworm Fat Worms in Aarons Magic Color and couldn't get any action. Talked to a couple of guys in a boat who said they got one on a Texas Rig Robo so I switched to texas rig and still nothing. Finally switched up to missle bait on the TR. Kicked over to Jims Point but didn't see anything on the FF. Finally tied on a crank bait and went back over to Rocky Point and tried to cast to some fish in the 4' to 6' range. Nothing doing so I kicked back over to west shore, got a burger at Roger's and bounced.

Cheers.

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sorry you got skunked but glad you had a good first time experience at Irvine lake. Their site says they trout stocked on 1/6/15 so you might have had better luck targeting trout over bass but I don't know your species of choice. As long as I have fished there it never seems to change too greatly as far as weeds and vegetation but the water level does go up and down with the seasons. Usually when it is down and the fishing is slow I'll go where boats can't in my tube or yak and scrounge for lost Rapalas to cover my entry fee, boat guys love to troll the large ones near the dam or toss the small ones along shore for trout and lose them all the time to an anchor rope or tree.

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hey dondraper! Sorry to hear about the skunk...but like vagabond said...theyre stocking trout right now so yeah I would say target trout....as for bass..ive nailed them or the robot worm too same color....also on the nightcrawler....seniors as well...but im sure theres Bettre answers out there...sorry...will b out at Irvin next weekend for the trouble derby...if u can come join...

Devil Dog

Devil Dog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I'll be out there as well for the tourny,  I was going from one spot to another in my boat, was trolling a pink flicker shad once we got to the spot while reeling in I landed a two pound bass.  Was actually trolling for trout but hey a fish is a fish right? Just couldn't weigh the bass in at a trout tourny.
I've had way better luck at Irvine then the other pay lakes (not gonna mention locations), my two biggest trout have come out of there and basically in the same area.
Say hi if you see a white black blue tracker boat out there.

Awesome Report and it sounds like you had a great time @ Irvine , As Irvine has never really been known as a bass fishery , I can say that @ $24 it is not to bad as you take into consideration a few other pay lakes that charge much more and then throw a launch few on top of it for the tube .

Thank's again for the report and keep them coming ,

Wes

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for the report and good job on chasing them.

Devil Dog

Devil Dog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Not sure where you heard Irvine was not known for bass, but due to their catch and release rules on bass they have some good size bass in there. I've also seen big ones under me while on my tube

Last edited by Devil Dog on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Fishermen of the Year 2014

congrats on your outing dondraper, sorry to hear about the skunk, but hey there is going to be a trout tournament there on the 17th and 18th. If you want to join me let me know bro and we will hook up. As for the BASS, they are around rocky point. I know in about 3 more months they will be at the flats and so will I Very Happy , Good report bro, looking forward to read your next one.

dondraper

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Don't worry about the skunk, I am pretty new to Bass fishing so I am used to it by now lol. Something I hope to rectify in 2015.

I thought about fishing for some trout as well, I even bought some baits that were recommended on the website. But after reading the rules I found out there is no catch and release for trout. I have only ever fished catch and release so I wasn't really setup to keep any fish. I don't have a stringer and didn't bring a cooler.

@Devil Dog
Nice job on the 2lber! Can I ask where on the lake you hooked up with it?

Unfortunately I am not going to make it to the tourney. My next outing will probably be the 19th at either SFD or the pudd.

Devil Dog wrote:Not sure where you heard Irvine was not known for bass, but due to their catch and release rules on bass they have some good size bass in there. I've also seen big ones under me while on my tube

Not saying its not known to carry bass , just that its not known to be a regular big bass lake . It is very well known for trout and Kitties , like most pay lakes

@ DonDraper -  No worries on the bass , January is a tough month to catch bass , it takes a bit to dial them in , but once you do look out .  your already on the right path looking at the drop off's from shallow to deep water .  Match what there staging on (Shad , Trout , Panfish) and you got it .  Drop shot or texas Rig some Roboworms or Senkos (oxblood , watermelon , pumpkins) Standard colors that usually will produce in alot of water conditions  Thumbs Up

Pro Tip : Dont be afraid to fish shallow on days that warm up , like we just had in the 80's a few days ago , you would be surprised how many bass move shallow during the winter time  Twisted Evil

WES

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum