FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Irvine lake 12-9-2014 (First time out on a float tube)

+2
Tony G Fishing
chafita
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

chafita

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hello, all.

This post is part fishing report and part first time float tube report.

I took my new float tube and gear out on its maiden voyage on 12-9-2014 to Irvine lake. I was excited to see if this form of fishing was all I thought it would be. Short answer: YES!

I bought my gear around black friday because the deals were too good to pass up and I was already seriously considering getting a used tube and waders but just ponied up and got the deals instead. I assembled the Fish Cat 4 and made a fishing rod holder from ABS and rigged it to the tube at home in preparation for my first trip out.

5 am rolled around and I loaded the truck up and went to Irvine lake. I inflated the tube, rigged the rod holders on, put on my fins and waders and off I went to the West shore to launch for my FIRST TIME EVER! I was a bit nervous but that was all for naught. I was off and kicking!

The tube glided through the water well and not as slow as I had imagined it would. I began to troll a gold panther martin at about mid lake and continued towards the Red Clay Cliffs in search of fish (any species would do). I had no luck for the first 2 hours of the day.

A friendly guy on a kayak came by as I was changing lures and asked if I had any luck. I said no and asked if he did. He informed me that he had caught 2 decent rainbows and lost on big one (i know how that goes) trolling a silver panther martin in the deeper waters towards the dam. I immeditatley tied a silver panther martin and headed trolling in that direction.

I made it to Jims point and noticed that the rod I was trolling was bending so I reeled in the rod I was casting and set the hook on the trolled rod. I reeled in a small rainbow trout and in the excitement of my first catch on a float tube I pulled the fish up by the line, in lew of using my net, and the thigh spit the hook. I was only slightly disappointed because I nearly broke the skunk.

I decided to cast a the silver panther marting a few more times in the area and retrieve instead of troll and, sure enough, I hook on to a 4+ lb rainbow! I fight it for a while trying not to lose the fish or snap the 3lb test and manage to net the fish! I took pics and put the bad boy on the stringer and off I went again trolling.

I had seen a few boats anchored in Sierra Cove so I went there in search for more trout. I saw one boat with some 6 or so fish on a stringer so I thought I was in the money. No luck. A few other boats came and I saw one actually hook a fish but the guy lost it at the boat. I ended up losing the panther martin I had luck with landing my first fish so I then tied on a Matzuo nano Kinchou minnow in satin glass color and went back to trolling the depper waters.

By the time i go to the dam it was about 130pm. and I was heading towards Crawdad point when the Matzuo gets hit and again i'm reeling in a nice 3+ lb rainbow! I put him on the stringer and begin to troll again. After about an hour or so I decide to call it a day and head towards my truck while casting a Strike King crainkbait in Crawdad color in search of bass. No luck.

I make it to the shore and start to pack up my gear. I was tired but I was grinning ear to ear.

Overall this trip was a success for me. I know now how fun and relaxing and exciting this form of fishing is. I can't wait to get out on the tube again.

TL;DR: 2 rainbow trouts 3lbs and 4lbs. Get out on a float tube, you won't regret it!

Pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by chafita on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added pics)

Wtg on your first outting. Thanknyou for the report as well. I maybe out there next weekend tubing with my boy

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Wtg chafita on the maiden voyage and ur 2 trout...nice sizes bro.....keep it up....

Tony g

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congratz on that maiden voyage!
Very fun and very relaxing. Post some pics..

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage.

chafita

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Pics up Very Happy

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Chafita.....ummm nothing came up....might check out the post lolly put up about posting pics.... salute

chafita

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for the tip (no homo). Should be up now

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice job on your first outing. Be careful it's addicting

Nice work out there chafita. I'll be out there this weekend or next.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Nice work buddy that is a great report thanks for sharing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Liking that orange vest chafita!!!..if u dont mind where did u get that....thx bro and nice chunker fish!!!!! Ill probably b out there next weekend....good stuff chafita!

WTG on the Maiden Voyage and Thanks for the report . I do agree, I dig the Orange Vest Thumbs Up

Love them fish Cats they ride high and dry and I do not regret at all buying one myself and switching from the ODC .. Keep up the good work and reports . Hopefully after the first of the year I can take a few days off and hit up Irvine

Wes

chafita

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

The vest is a NRS Chinook. I got it 20 percent off on their site. Pricey but had all of the features I was looking for. The high back is nice and so are the tool retractors in the pocket and the included pen style one.

Heres he link:   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was unable to get the time off for the Perris event and not sure when I can go out but I am DYING to go again!

Hope to see you all out there!

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Good lookin out gonna check it out...thx

And that sucks yeah I wont b able to cruise either......next one...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum