FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

DoIt Shad "9" mold

+2
Dano67
Madbasser
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty DoIt Shad "9" mold Thu May 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok so as you all know i order an Do-It mold model Shad"9". Which is the closest production jig mold that resembles the all too popular Hammerheads we all use on our Big Hammer swimbaits. This is a review of this mold using a few different hooks and in a coulpe of different powder painted colors.
The one i got makes 1/4 and 3/8 oz jig heads. These are pretty mutch good for 3" swimbaits and pushing it for 4"ers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This one shows a 3/8ths Hammerhead in chartreuse and another popular brand in plain lead 1/4oz, these are on the left. The ones on the right are mine straight from the mold no modifications. Top is 3/8ths bottom 1/4oz.

Here is another pics of the same. You can see that all the of these hooks are very similar to each other.

Ok this one has ALL the different hooks i have tried to pour with. Most of these are 1/4oz except for the red one is a 3/8oz head. We'll start with the red one. That one has a 5/0 Gammy 604 hook, the next one is 1/4oz with a 3/0 gammy 604, then a 1/0 635 Eagle claw salt water hook, 2/0 635 EC bronze( this is the recommended hook on the mold for both sizes, but i prefer a different one), Gammy 2/0 291 reg wire hook, finally a 2/0 Matzuo light wire hook.

These are all powder painted, the colors go like this. Watermelon w/ red flake and i put eyes on that one, just plain stick on ones, next is Copperhead (kinda like a brown with green flake), then comes Root-beer ( its like a maroon with gold flake), then yellow, Brown, Black, and a green vinyl paint(i hate these vinyl paints and will probably never use them again), i also used a red but u have seen that one in a previous pic.

Here are some of the heads on some Bighammer swimbaits, you can see that the 3/8oz is a wee bit small for the 4" bait. The 3" bleeding mackerel has a 3/8ths the other 3" have 1/4oz.

And these are the ones with eyes on them. They are just stick on ones that seem to work well.

Overall i'm super happy with the results and will be purchasing the next two sizes in the series. Its a super mold, pours REALLY easy and makes nice baits for sure. The only thing is that i would rather use a Gammy hook and the 604 fits just right with no mods. The 291 needed a little massaging, but that seem like the hook i'm gonna go with for the most part. Its strong and has a nice wide gap, and like all Gammys its uber sharp!!!

So thumbs up all the way!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Now i have to review the shakey head mold i got on the same transaction.

2DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Thu May 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Mad,

Great review!!!! The heads look awesome, please make sure you bring some on Saturday Very Happy I am still up for picking up the other mold in the next size up. We can talk about it this weekend.

3DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Thu May 12, 2011 4:07 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice work buddy Thumbs Up

4DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great review, thanks! might have to order up one of those molds for myself. I never had any luck with the stick on eyes staying on the led heads unless they were painted, I always had to super glue them on if it was on bare led.

5DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

This is my first time using the stick on eyes, i have heard about people glueing them on. I only have them on two head for now, not sure I will use them often. If I do I think I'll go with the flat ones as apposed to the 3D ones. This mold does not have the eye sockets so it really not nessicary.

6DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:47 am

crappiecrippler

FTFF Gathering Officer

A great place to buy 3D eyes online is Bogs Baits. Not sure if I can post a link to the site here??? Someone let me know. They are the cheapest around. Not sure if they have flat eyes, but the 3D eyes are about as cheap as flat ones I've seen anywhere.

http://www.crappiecrippler.com

7DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:44 am

Dano67

Dano67

Post the link. Don't think anyone will mind.

8DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

YA post it bro its cool.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 am

crappiecrippler

FTFF Gathering Officer

You can find them at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . Several sizes and colors to choose from. Also some pretty cool plastic baits.

10DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am

crappiecrippler

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm loving these swimbaits too MadBasser. Really like the heads and the paint colors. Powder paint is the way to go. I've ruined more heads with acrylic paint than I care to count. Also neat to see what you guys are using to catch fish. Those are good looking baits.

11DoIt Shad "9" mold Empty Re: DoIt Shad "9" mold Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:11 am

crappiecrippler

FTFF Gathering Officer

I should have put all this together in one post but my mind does not work fast enough! Do you coat the eyes after applying them to keep them from falling off? I use Hard as Nails or other clear nail polish. Dries quickly and adds a bit of gloss as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum