FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 12:48 pm

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 11:33 am

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Today at 11:32 am

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's talk float tube fishfinders

+3
GT
MenyoG
tjflyfisher
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Let's talk float tube fishfinders Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:01 pm

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

So I've been using my garmin Echo 150 for two years now with a float tube fanatics mount
And it works great however with all the new DSI and down view units coming out I'm thinking about upgrading Im also thinking about getting one with a 5 in screen
I only use my garmin on the local lakes and mostly for shallow water crappie fishing but this time of year I have been out tubing for cats in about 15-25
Ft with great success
With all that said what is everyone else using on their tubes nowadays and if you have a dv or hdi unit how do you like it ??
Thanks for any info
Tjflyfisher

2Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:26 am

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hey tjflyfisher,

First, I have ZERO experience with finders on any craft but, very interested.

I almost exclusively fish saltwater bays and harbors and have seen a few folks with finders on their tubes. I am very curious as to how effective they are in that environment and how they are used.

It sounds as if you are actually using it to find fish.

I was told by somebody that uses one that the finders is mostly used to find structure or drop-offs and not fish.

Can anybody with experience help?

Thanks,
Manuel

3Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:12 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I just purchased a Lorance Elite IV that I used for the first time at the Irvine outing last week. I was kidding TonyG that the only thing I could understand was the depth.......pictures in manual not what appeared on screen.........But it was in color and looked pretty good bounce I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to go and buy and play with it and hope you have what you want.

Story to continue GT

4Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:02 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I use an older Lowrance X4 nothing special but it works great. I to would be interested in finding out what other think about the color displays or bigger units on the float tube. I use my fish finder for water depth, temp, and structure. I am sure you can locate the fish but I really feel the best way to locate fish is by using the structure you have located that matching the right water temp and knowing the depth. I will be watching this to see what comes of it. I wonder if we could get a company to help shed more light on this for us.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:25 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That would be great.........I used their default settings and like I said it didn't look like the pic's in the manual....GT

6Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

GT wrote:I just purchased a Lorance Elite IV that I used for the first time at the Irvine outing last week. I was kidding TonyG that the only thing I could understand was the depth.......pictures in manual not what appeared on screen.........But it was in color and looked pretty good bounce I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to go and buy and play with it and hope you have what you want.

Story to continue  GT

Hey GT, i know how you work LOL....

7Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:47 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

and i have the piranha 160, and it works perfect, like everyone has mentioned, i use it for depth and structure but i do get pumped when i see a bunch of fish on my screen...and go to myself here we go fish on in a second hahah its happened where ive seen fish then ON, love my finder, i want color though Twisted Evil

8Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:07 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey TonyG......the only problem with your piranha is it see's everything in ORANGE.  BTW my workings are a secret What a Face ......GT

9Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:37 pm

The HD or DSI are awesome but they do take some time to dail them in. I have a DSI and works great but it's not as clear cut as they make it to be. Maybe the more higher end models are but I'm still getting use to it.

Here's 2 pics that you can see, picture Quality isn't there but you get the idea.
Also, if you jump back and forth between salt and fresh you will need to readjust the settings and for any other body of water for that matter

10Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:38 am

I have The Humminbird PiranhaMAX 175 and it gets the job done finding the structure. dual beam sonar . Do I turn the fish ID on sure for the laughs , but its all about the structure as you can get false readings on ID . I cannot tell you how many times i have found great structure and not seen a fish mark and just slayed off it Thumbs Up

11Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey guys can we put a list of questions we might have on how to fish finders work I mentioned maybe doing an on line seminar (questions and answer session) I am working on it I will keep you informed.

12Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

My questions would concern batteries and versatility. My Fishin' Buddy runs on flashlight batteries, but is for depth, structure and temp only. I would like to see bait balls and what might be fish.

I would want an upgraded unit to run on a fairly small battery and able to be mounted on my boat.

13Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

For my Elite 1V, I purchased a large battery compared to Tony G's. Weighs a couple of #'s, so I put it in a Tupperware type container. I found some nasty two sided tape, a spare nylon strap laying around and a small piece of galvanized metal for backing. Strap is mounted to bottom of container which allows me to remove the lid to mess with terminals if I have too. I strap the unit to my Cumberland tube, left side at the beginning of storage pocket next to the rod holder and fish finder that is mounted on holder. I found that if I mount it to tube prior to topping off the air, it's much easier to work with. Excess wiring is held in rod holder pvc pipe. This size of battery will get me at least 3 trips on the water before charging. And you can purchase a cig. plug-in charger for the car. Caution, no longer than 30 minutes, no gauge to read with car charger.

TonyG puts his small battery in the storage pocket.........

My problem is I tend to over kill projects, more than I need...........hope this helps FISHEROMEN, GT

14Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:50 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

GT, sounds interesting. Got a pic of the installed unit?

15Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Ill take a pic of my battery and setup tonight....my battery lasts me at least 2 for sure but pushing 3 trips....

GT's setup is nice!, the whole tube its LEGIT!!!!! good stuff!

16Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

jeffcpr wrote:Hey guys can we put a list of questions we might have on how to fish finders work I mentioned maybe doing an on line seminar (questions and answer session) I am working on it I will keep you informed.

Hey Jeff,

This would be MONEY!Thumbs Up ill for sure be on it...lots of questions id like to ask....

thanks

17Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:29 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fisheromen Here's some pics when I first messed with it. Next outing I'll take some pic's. GT

18Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:37 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks TonyG.......appreciate all the good words Bro........GT

19Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:
jeffcpr wrote:Hey guys can we put a list of questions we might have on how to fish finders work I mentioned maybe doing an on line seminar (questions and answer session) I am working on it I will keep you informed.

Hey Jeff,

This would be MONEY!Thumbs Up   ill for sure be on it...lots of questions id like to ask....

thanks

Ya I hope it will happen I will be working on this this week and next and let you guys know if it works out. This might a webinar or just on our forum, not sure right now amything is possible.

GT wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fisheromen    Here's some pics when I first messed with it. Next outing I'll take some pic's. GT

GT killer set up buddy nice work.

20Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I just got my fish finder on my floattube fanatic mount. I worked great on Saturday, so stoked!

21Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:39 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

congrats mikeo!

and this is where my battery goes, this last me 2-3 trips...perfect size i recommend it...bought it at FRYS Electronics Thumbs Up

22Let's talk float tube fishfinders  Empty Re: Let's talk float tube fishfinders Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:01 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

OK first road block the first company cannot find someone to do this, but I will keep working on this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum