FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Troutbum Yesterday at 9:42 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Long baitcasting rods and float tubing

+6
CPT Kirk
wiseguy
.:LOLLY:.
Jerdon
jeffcpr
Komori Jeff
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I tried using one of my longer baitcasting outfits for swimbaits and jigs while in my float tube, and it seemed a little awkward working the lures back in with that long handle. Has anyone else had this problem? It is fine while standing or sitting in a boat or on shore, but sitting down low near the water, it just doesn't feel right. I normally fish with spinning rods.

Yes swimbait rods that have a longer handle section will hit the back rest. It's something you gotta get use to and just off at angle just a little so the rod butt is on the outside of the back rest and hold it out away from your body as well.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have used a long handle rod that was 8 ft long and I had really no issue, but it was all I had at the time for the fishing I was attempting, so I had to be ok with it. It just takes sometime to get use to it, the more you use it the easier it will become.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have the same issue Komori.
The 7 foot and longer rods are a bit awkward for me in the tube.
Maybe it's time to get some shorter rods for the tube.

5Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 pm

With a normal bait caster rod it doesn't matter if it's a 6.6 or a 8ft rod, the butt section is all pretty much the same length give an 1/2" or 1". The only time it plays a big part is if it's a swim bait rod and then your talking a 2" difference

6Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

No Miller, not all bait casting rods have the same longer handles. I have some very nice older Fenwick rods that have short handles on the butt of the rod that are great with the fT, but these rods are too light and flexible for throwing the heavier big baits. Plastics, jigs and smaller cranks are what these rods were designed for..

7Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:14 am

Komori wrote:No Miller, not all bait casting rods have the same longer handles.  I have some very nice older Fenwick rods that have short handles on the butt of the rod that are great with the fT, but these rods are too light and flexible for throwing the heavier big baits.  Plastics, jigs and smaller cranks are what these rods were designed for..

I know there not as state above but I'm sure you guys will figure out on how to solve your problems but before I go here is another tip to fix your problem,
It's called a hacksaw, just cut the S**t down.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It also probably has to do with maybe you're trying to fish it like you would a spinning rod? You just have to change up your technique or chop it down like miller said. You could always get some custom rods just for float tubing Thumbs Up

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have always wondered is there a perfect length for a fishing rod to use on your float tube. I always wondered because when I went out with my 8' Seeker people was ask how in the world can you fish with that from your tube. For me it was just what I had to use in the salt and I got use to it. But I am sure we could come up with the perfect float tube rod length to help others that are starting out. Or at least come up with a few good lengths to narrow down the confusion. I still say with time on the water with the longer butt section you will figure it out and maybe even prefer it in the long run

10Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:45 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

From a rod builders viewpoint I agree with Komori.  The longer rods are harder to use from a float tube.  The type of fishing we do from a tube is stealthy, getting into harder to reach places that you usually dont reach by foot or boat.  A shorter rod with a handle length that works for your size is ideal for a float tube.  I build a lot of bass rods and usually for float tubers and bass fisherman in general. A lot of the rods I build are 7'4" max and have handles that are 12-13", making them ideal for fishing from a lower platform like a float tube.  Can you fish with a long handle rod from a float tube? Absolutely! But not my preference.  A custom rod, designed specifically for your intended use with your dimensions is the best in my opinion.  For my float tube fishing, I have a 6'6" rod and a 7'-2" rod that are my favorites with the perfect handle length for casting from a tube.

11Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:03 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I now use a 6' 6" rod with an butt section that is about 10" to 11" I will have to check and the other rod I use is a 7' with about the same length of butt section as the other rod I use. I do agree with the fact that we are a stealth type of fishing and there were time the 8' rod did not do the job for me. But I do also feel the rod butt section is important for fishing and this would take some experimenting to see what works best for your. Example I have a 5' 6" bait casting rod I absolutely love, but I don't use it. The but section is only about 5" to 6' long. It is not a pistol grip just a little bigger then that. from the float tube there is just not enough to hold on to when you get to a good fish. Komori keep throwing and trying different setups when you can it will all work out.

12Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 pm

I think at the end of the day its what youer computable fishing with. I myself fish with 7'6-8' casting rods and feel there the best to fish with on a tube but then again that's just my input. I do however fish a 7'2 spinning rod but that's my dropshot rod.

13Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have fished rods from 6'-6" up to 8'-0". Right now my favorite one is 6'-6".

14Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:25 pm

I thought I had made a huge mistake when I bought my Swimbait rod , since the handle is 22" long and the rod is 7'11" , but I have not had one problem casting , holding or retrieving the heavy swimbait's on it . I do not regret my choice as I was also looking at a swimbait rod that was 7'11" and the handle was 16". All about adjusting . I find the longer handle more comfortable under the arm . Especially when throwing a 4-5oz bait Thumbs Up

Also take into account how the older rods where made (materials used) they where heavier and it may feel alittle clunky paired with a older reel or even a modern reel , especially in the tube. It's all about finding that comfort level for yourself .

Wes

15Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

This is becoming a great thread.

I have 3 different bait casting rods I use on the tube. One has a 7 inch handle and it is no problem. Another has 10 1/2 handle and I really need to be aware at first, but I use it quite a bit. The final rod has a 12 inch handle and I have thought about taking a hack saw to it, however it is perfect from a boat.

So according to wiseguy the 12 inch handle should be fine for the tube.
wiseguy, how tall are you? Maybe that is a consideration

Wes  your an animal. Lets hit it again soon.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

16Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:20 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I prefer short rods in the float tube because for me it is just easier to handle re-tie etc. 5ft to 6'6". i like pistol grip rods for the bay because of the accuracy of the rod for use between boats & docks. Just my personal preference use what works best for you.

http://bassinthehood.com

17Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Man I love my long rod and so does my chick.
I feel sorry for guys with your short rods lmao

lol! geek

18Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 pm

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I bought a 7'3" seeker bushido casting and 7'2" spinning version and I am totally satisfied with the balance and feel of the rods. I also use a 7' medium heavy Lightning Rod that Fat boy kicced me down with and that one also seems to fish nicely. justK my 2 cents

19Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:08 am

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I like the 8ft rods for my spinnerbaits and swimbaits I havent notice any problems with it besides for going under bridges

20Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:36 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:Man I love my long rod and so does my chick.

lol! geek

Gayest post ever. flower

21Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:02 am

wiseguy wrote:

lol! geek

Gayest post ever. flower

Sounds like a true statement from someone who's jealous but I guess you didn't read everything else on this topic. Lmao

22Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:15 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wiseguy wrote:

lol! geek

Gayest post ever. flower

23Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:38 pm

red1952ford

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

i have both Long and Short. I love the Long rods but retying is tough with a long rod in a tube.
I have a Long rod i cut the handle down on so the handle is not always in the way..since long rods have Long handles for shore and boat fishermen and better leverage.
But i also have short rods and they seem to work just as good maybe better for everything except the hook set.
for a hook set and playing the fish the long rod Shines...till you get the fish to the tube

24Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:47 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I was watching Dave Mercer on his fishing show. He was in a float tube, he prefers longer rods around 7 feet because in a tube you lose leverage and the longer rod provides more leverage. I still prefer a shorter rod in a tube.

http://bassinthehood.com

25Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Empty Re: Long baitcasting rods and float tubing Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:17 pm

red1952ford

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

CPT Kirk wrote:I was watching Dave Mercer on his fishing show. He was in a float tube, he prefers longer rods around 7 feet because in a tube you lose leverage and the longer rod provides more leverage. I still prefer a shorter rod in a tube.
I prefer the longer rod...but the handles are so long they are always in your chest when fishing

i guess everyone likes something different

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum