FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drop Shot fishing with flies

+6
flyfishingfool
Monster
tommyboy
37jb1973
floater73
jeffcpr
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Drop Shot fishing with flies Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:35 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ok I read this in an article and decided to look it up. I tie my own flies and seemed that is would be worth a try here is a link to an article about this.

Has anyone done this yet and if so did it work, I mean I am sure it will work but what is you experiance using this method. Thumbs Up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 pm

floater73

floater73
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thank you sir never thought of tring this I will read it over, so you tie flies cool.

3Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:38 pm

37jb1973

37jb1973
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Uh very interesting this may have work at Yorba for me just the other day. We could even use the mini jigs in the same fashion you think Thumbs Up

4Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am

tommyboy

tommyboy
FTFF Gathering Officer

I tried this a few times no luck for me would like to see how it works for you guys.

5Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey Tommyboy have not seen you for a while and no have not tried this yet either.

6Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Monster

Monster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

This sounds like a question Rudy would be asking lol

7Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Monster wrote:This sounds like a question Rudy would be asking lol

lol

Hmm... drop shotting on the fly? strange stuff man.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

8Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I remember this article from a couple years ago. I understand the concept much better now than I did then. There are so many techniques out there and it seems to come down to thinking outside the box.

9Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 pm

mac_2_nite

mac_2_nite
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Jeff and all,

I have tried flies on the drop shot, it all depends on the species/fly/time of year and all that.

I initially tried it after using the "bounce rig" on the Provo successfully, and thinking that such a simple alteration of putting the weights below the flies worked there on the river, I tried it with small wooly buggers. I think the biggest adjustment is learning what movement the fish wants, for example on some Uinta lakes the jerking/jigging motion was hot, and others they just liked it suspended. Kinda stupid to toss a wooly out and let it sit there, but it was working so I went with it. The 'bounce rig' really changed my view on rigging up for sub-surface fly fishing.

I have only used this on rookies, rainbows, and grayling. I think it would be a great saltwater application, especially in difficult current situations where even full sink flyline is getting pushed around.

I have heard tell of dudes using flies this way with spin gear, which may also work really well especially in saltwater...!

10Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 pm

mac_2_nite

mac_2_nite
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Also, I didn't quite use the usual drop shot knot either. I like to tie a double surgeon with a long tag end (you choose whether top tag or bottom, both have advantages) and just tie the fly to that tag. This presents a more free-moving fly, similar to the "bounce rig" used in nymphing. It doesn't give you the direct connectivity that a normal drop shot setup does in that your hook isn't directly in line with the main line. Works pretty dang good though in my experiences!

11Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I just saw this older post.. I have been using this technique for big Bluegills, Redears and crappie at Lake Perris for several years now. But I have about 12 inches or so of "leader" line with a dark wet fly or nymph coming out from the main line. I have a size 7 split shot at the bottom of the tag end, which is about 18 inches below the "leader". When I slowly move along in my float tube, the split shot drags on the lake bottom with the fly 18 inches above it. I used to paint the split shot with a bright fluorescent yellow to get the fish's attention, but I would get too many Bluegill grabbing that instead of the bait. I would use a small jig instead of a split shot, but it would get snagged or get weeds and mud on it. By the way I use 2 pound test mono almost exclusively.

12Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:53 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya I could see the fish taking interest in the split-shot over the fly they are like that LOL.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13Drop Shot fishing with flies  Empty Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

I always say ill try it but dont haha..my buddy has given me flies to try out and i always end up with Zoom flukes on instead haha...think ill give it a shot this week..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum