FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Strapping your tube to a backpack

+2
jeffcpr
john_henry_newman
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Strapping your tube to a backpack Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have been thinking about getting a backpack onto which I can strap my Cumberland float tube. That way I can carry my gear (fins, pfds, pump, etc.) and my tube on my back.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and what type of pack you used. I have found only a couple of candidate packs that look like they would provide external straps/d-rings onto which I can clip the Cumberland tube using carabiners. Perhaps an external frame pack would also work?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

2Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Re: Strapping your tube to a backpack Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Interesting idea I am sure your know that there are Back Pack straps already on the Cumberland, but for a hike this is an interesting idea. I will be following this thread as I am interested to see what comes of your idea.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Re: Strapping your tube to a backpack Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:15 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hey there john_henry_newman,

I have a story and not really a solution for you.

On a recent voyage at NPH, my friend Jason and I ended-up portaging approx 1500-ft or so because of the current being too strong.

Following Jason ... I portaged my float tube by gripping onto the small nylon hand strap located in the top of the "V" of my float tube, I raised my arm/hand as high as I could to carry it (in one hand over my head) down the sidewalk and then I was constantly stopping to go back and pick up all of my continuously dropped gear along the way, while carrying all of my rods all-bunched-up together in my other hand. Not good .. it was very dis-functional for me, to say the least.  Evil or Very Mad grrrrr

So .... I went home and I purchased a divers mesh bag online to carry my fins, and anything else that was once loose in my tube. It ties in snug to the tube with the use of a SS carabiner. The bag weighs nothing.

I purchased rod condoms, for when porting 2, 3 or 4 rods in one hand .. tangle free, and then throw rod condoms back into the mesh bag at end of port and re-launch.
They weigh nothing and they're good for protecting my rods during transport and or porting to the next launch spot.

I purchased the back-pack straps that fit my Outcast Fish Cat 4 Deluxe (and the Fat Cat) and "I will be prepared for the next porting". They weigh nothing and this should definitely be a better way to port! We'll see!!

I share your enthusiasm for porting the float tube as a back-pack ...
I wish you the very best of luck in your back-pack search Sir.  Cool

I'll be checking back ... I'm interested to what people will have to add.

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : SP)

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Re: Strapping your tube to a backpack Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

This has been a question for some time here.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Here are some links with various solutions.

I put my Cumberland on my back with the straps that came with it, and I leave the straps on when I'm fishing. I carry 4 rods in my hand and put other stuff in a 5 gallon bucket that I put behind the seat.

I hope this helps.

5Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Re: Strapping your tube to a backpack Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 pm

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Do you have the Cumberland with the d rings on the top side of the tube or on the underside of the seat?

I have the newest one with them under the seat. I have a pump that fits inside the pockets of the Cumberland. The fins and life jacket get attached to the tube with a carabiner. A custom rigid table tray that gets put in place and doesn't fall out. I got rid of the mesh one since I didn't like the idea of sculpin on my lap. I carry the tube on my back with the back pack straps. The only thing in my hands are the rods. It's ideal to bring less tackle (I know it's hard to do) when you know you're going to be making a walk.

6Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Re: Strapping your tube to a backpack Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:15 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Like Lolly, when I fish North Lake, Bishop area, I wear waders and boots, carry my fins in one hand and rods in the other. I cross the straps so they stay high on my solders. All my trout gear is in the pockets Then its just a matter of getting it balanced and off I go. By crossing the straps the tube rides High on your back so u don't have any dragging of the ends on the ground. Hope this helps......GT

7Strapping your tube to a backpack Empty Re: Strapping your tube to a backpack Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:36 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Jerdon wrote:This has been a question for some time here.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Here are some links with various solutions.

I put my Cumberland on my back with the straps that came with it, and I leave the straps on when I'm fishing. I carry 4 rods in my hand and put other stuff in a 5 gallon bucket that I put behind the seat.

I hope this helps.

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Do you have the Cumberland with the d rings on the top side of the tube or on the underside of the seat?

I have the newest one with them under the seat. I have a pump that fits inside the pockets of the Cumberland. The fins and life jacket get attached to the tube with a carabiner. A custom rigid table tray that gets put in place and doesn't fall out. I got rid of the mesh one since I didn't like the idea of sculpin on my lap. I carry the tube on my back with the back pack straps. The only thing in my hands are the rods. It's ideal to bring less tackle (I know it's hard to do) when you know you're going to be making a walk.

GT wrote:Like Lolly, when I fish North Lake, Bishop area, I wear waders and boots, carry my fins in one hand and rods in the other. I cross the straps so they stay high on my solders. All my trout gear is in the pockets Then its just a matter of getting it balanced and off I go. By crossing the straps the tube rides High on your back so u don't have any dragging of the ends on the ground. Hope this helps......GT

Great info guys I think I will try one of these ideas on Sunday when I am in Newport

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum