FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

pontoons Vs float tubs???

+6
flyfishingfool
bayfishingjunkie
huyeed
Dano67
jeffcpr
showtime
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

pontoons Vs float tubs??? which is better and why? I'm now stuck on which to get?

2pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:53 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

they are both great just depends on how you like to fish. The toons all keep you high and dry. Some of the tube will keep you more out of the water than others but you are always in the water some way shape or form. Toons are bigger and heavier to move and tubes can be lighter and easier to transport.
Toons can cost more and you can get in to a tube for much less most often. Finally toons require you to use oars to move around, you can cover more water like this, but you can not always have you hands on your rod when in a toon. ( that sound bad Embarassed)
Tube are moved by your feet, you cannot cover as much water as you can in a toon, but you can fish will you are moving in your tube.
I think that what every you choose it will be fun for you no matter what you get. Just look for what catches your eye and the rest is a blast good luck.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Dano67

Dano67

We had this discussion somewhere but I cant find it. I have had both and for most of the situations, a tube gives you better access and more constant time in the water.

4pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:38 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

THANKS TO BOTH! BUT WHAT I SORTA WAS LOOKING FOR IS WHAT DO MOST PERFER? WHICH IS FUNNER AND ETC. IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE PRICE... I JUS WANNA BE IN THE IN CROWD......LOL (SORRY FOR THE CAPS)

POLES 2-3
LIGHT TACKLE

P/S ... JUS ENOUGH TO GET THE JOB DONE AND HAVE FUN WHILE DOING IT!

THANKS

5pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:53 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Float Tube is my Poisson.

6pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

i think there are some companies that make float tube/pontoon hybrids. basically float tubes with oars.

i'm in the planning stages of rigging my tube up with oar locks so if that gets done and it works, i'll let you know.

7pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:12 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I own them both, and the pontoon when rigged up. I beleive cant be beat.. but consider Mine has everything under the sun. Oars thats for emergencies only I have a trolling motor. 30 pound. so you must consider battery life.also I prefer being out of the water especially in the ocean Im not as young as I used to be and kicking against a ripping current is a drag and very exhausting. I also enjoy the freedom of movement.Dont get me wrong, I love both tube and toon but to choose one its the toon for me.

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

8pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:39 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

I only own a tube, but if i could, i would toon.

bayfishingjunkie wrote:...Im not as young as I used to be and kicking against a ripping current is a drag and very exhausting...

X2

Plus my laziness, and non-active lifestyle makes it exhausting for me. Embarassed

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

9pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:10 am

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

float tubes take up less storage room but pontoons are way better when you are on large bodies of water or dealing with wind or current.

10pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 am

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So here is the final product:

List of Modificatios:
Added treated wood floors to the front and rear includind metal supprts along the bottom
5 rod holders 3 rear for storage and 2 forward for fishing purposes.
micro deep cycle battery in sealed battery box.
30 pound thrust trolling motor.
mini live bait tank on rear deck
Hummingbird 768 combo fishfinder/gps/chart plotter
external GPS anntena
raised high back bass boat seat
entire frame was repainted with rust proof flat black
all metal parts replaced with stainless steel parts.

last thing I am looking into is solar recharging for battery

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

11pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:19 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I saw a solar charger at costco look like a good deal. Also affraid damn nice ride my friend, make me want a toon for sure.

12pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:01 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow that's a nice setup. I'm looking into a tube and paddled around a outcast prowler yesterday and really enjoyed the feel and comfort. The kick was a little akward in comparrison to my freediving fins and the kick stroke I use while diving is completely different. It just seemd like I needed something to hold me down to get a nice strong kick. Then I realized i'm not that young and how long it's been since I've been freediving and how out of shape I am (hitting the gym tonight). In my search to find the perfect craft for me I noticed they have some tubes that come with oars for the physically challenge types.

Does anyone know if those break down to fit in a bag like regular tubes? I don't have a lot of storage space right now so something that is quick and easy to breakdown and setup is a must.

13pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

For space and easy of set up and tear down the tube is best, but I am sure most of the toons will break down a store just takes more work.

14pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:01 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

what about those tubes that include oars? I believe they don't have a frame, but i'm not sure.

15pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:04 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

damn, that makes me want to get a pontoon even more.

dave scadden has a few rowable inflatable pontoon/float tubes that pack up pretty nicely from what i've seen. the sea eagle frameless pontoon seems like it packs up pretty nicely too. looks like a ton of money if you go with them

16pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:33 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

LGHT wrote:what about those tubes that include oars? I believe they don't have a frame, but i'm not sure.

huyeed wrote:damn, that makes me want to get a pontoon even more.

dave scadden has a few rowable inflatable pontoon/float tubes that pack up pretty nicely from what i've seen. the sea eagle frameless pontoon seems like it packs up pretty nicely too. looks like a ton of money if you go with them

There you have your answer LHGT how do you like them apples.

17pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

i'm in the process of adding oars to to my tube, found this design on another forum during my many hours of obsessive researching. looks like it could allow you to purchase a cheaper tube and add the oars yourself. i think the pvc build is easiest and most practical

18pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

huyeed wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

i'm in the process of adding oars to to my tube, found this design on another forum during my many hours of obsessive researching. looks like it could allow you to purchase a cheaper tube and add the oars yourself. i think the pvc build is easiest and most practical
Wow the best of both worlds good luck on that set hope it works out for you
Ed

19pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ah PVC it's like legos for adults... or tinker toys and linkin logs depending on your generation.

20pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I remember all those toys like it was yesterday, oh ya my kids are playing with my old toy right now. afro

21pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:22 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah it's a bit more to add "oars" and I honestly don't know if it's even worth it to consider the extra cost just to be able to oar.

However if i've been kicking all day and the wind picks up the option to oar back instead of kick maybe a blessing.

Not sure what to do???

22pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:39 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well there are motor out there too i use a sea doo scooter and it works for me just fine about 2 -3 hours of fun and i can tow a buddy out of wind and current too but i have not tried 3 people yet lol

23pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:46 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not sure what you mean you use a see doo scooter to tow your tube? or just the scooter in general?

24pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i hold it between my legs (that sounds bad i know lol)and it propels me where evr i want to point the nose and i have a lil tow rope set up and i also get better control when i tow

25pontoons Vs float tubs??? Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ahh ok. I have used these before and they are actually pretty powerful, but I think my buddy paid around $300 for his. That would increase the cost of a tube quit a bit. Couldn't you just get a small electric motor to mount on the back of the tube or is that not an option. However it would be nice to have 2 toys instead of just one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum