FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

need some advice on pontoons

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1need some advice on pontoons Empty need some advice on pontoons Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:31 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

i'm looking to add a pontoon to my arsenal. i know, a lot considering i haven't gotten any real fishing time on my fish cat.

i gave up on adding oars to my tube and just ordered a seadoo aqua ranger new for 215 plus tax. but i still want a craft that i can use on days that i want to cover more ground. i'm locked on to the classic accessories delaware or colorado that i posted about in the classified.

structurally, the colorado is 9' compared to the 8' delaware. the delaware is 3" higher and 1" narrower. the colorado is loaded up with a motor mount, rod holder, an anchor system, and a ton of storage pockets. the delware is a basic pontoon, but it comes with a rolling duffel that can store everything (oars, pontoons, frame). i'd have to supply the rod holders and travel lightly. but, i save 100.

so it comes down to stability and safety for me. do you guys think the colorado, with an extra foot, would be drastically more stable?

either way i go, i'll definitely buy the spare parts package and cover the frames with an anti-rust coat.

thanks ahead of time, i know you guys are way more experienced and i appreciate the input.

2need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:52 am

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would try your tube and seadoo thingy out more before you decide on getting a pontoon boat or I would also take into consideration getting a kayak or a inflatable kayak over a pontoon boat.

The more bells and whistles it comes with the longer it takes to set up and break down, eventually it isn't fun anymore to go fishing it's more like work.

Pontoon frames are made of steel or aluminum and no matter what you coat it with the salt water will get to it and break it down especially if you can't coat the inside or seal it up but even then any weld joint on the frame is more prone to rusting or calcifying. Even if the frame is painted or powdercoated it will flex at the joints when in use and the flexing causes small cracks in the coating where it will begin to corrode underneath, you won't even know or see it till one day the coating starts to bubble or your frame just breakes.
If you can afford it get a toon with a stainless frame, hard to find but they do make them. Try Buck's Bags.

3need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:41 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I'll be honest with you. Vagabond is 100% correct when it comes to having a rigged toon. if your launch site is not easy to get to. it is a royal pain to set up. I am looking into building a new toon from scratch that would eliminate that problem or at least make it easier. And when you do own the rigged toon you will just want a boat a week after getting the toon.. I want a boat now not a toon

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

4need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Dano67

Dano67

I had two of the colorado toons. While they may seem the bargain, the overall quality is a 5 on a ten scale. Bay and Vagabond are both right on the money. Stick to the FishCat, go as simple and as light as possible Save it for a boat because the toon will get you everywhere a boat cant. Plus if you go out with some of us, I'm sure you will have a much better time on your tube.

Dano

5need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

thanks guys, you're saving me from headaches and spending a lot of money on gear lust. the only reason i'm considering a pontoon is for days where i want to cover more ground. small car, plus less storage means i need to go inflatable. might as well save up for a dave scadden or a sea eagle frameless.

6need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 am

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

All very valid points, I usually only use my pontoon when I can park within 50 feet of where I am going to launch from. When everything is put together its just a little to heavy to carry so I usually have to make at least four trips from truck to beach.
But there are PLENTY of places where you can park very close to where you are going to launch from, I also strongly suggest you get the stainless frame. Either buy one that comes with it or take your current frame to some metal shop and have them replicate it...expensive but VERY worth it in the long run.
I went through two frames in three years before I had my stainless one made and have not had to worry about it rusting since.

7need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

If you are looking to cover more ground and not taking up too much storage space I would totally look into an inflatable kayak. I see them pop up on Craig's list off and on, West Marine has them on sale sometimes and they use Advanced Frame just under a different name and right now I think Costco in Irvine or Tustin has a pretty sweet one.

Also try South Wind Kayaks in Irvine off McCarthur if you want to check some out, real friendly and knowledgIble place.

8need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

ok guys, sorry to revive this topic, but i found a few deals on craigslist and would like your input.

1) found one of the low end classic accessories pontoons. i think i can talk the guy down to 120. you guys think that's a nice deal? even though i'll coat the frame, rinse, the works, i'm basically paying for a 2 yr rental.

2) i found two others that are in the 350-400 range. both are good shape from lake fishing. one has a standing platform and trolling motor, the other has a trolling motor, upgraded seats and a fish finder. i figure with either one, i'd end up selling the motor

i wish i lived near more lakes that aren't pay to fish. would make my decisions so much easier.

saving up for an advanced elements inflatable anglers kayak. chose that over the hobie because it's 1/3 of the price and has an outrigger and rod holders.

9need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:32 am

Dano67

Dano67

They are an okay boat, but have cronic valve leak problems. If you call the company in Kent WA, they will swap you valves until you get one that does not leak. Who make the other two pontoons? The standing platform and trolling motor would be nice once spawning season comes in for bed fishing. Just make sure it has a leaning bar otherwise you will be swimming more than fishing!

10need some advice on pontoons Empty Re: need some advice on pontoons Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:47 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

one is a creek company xr1 with trolling motor for 375, one appears to be a water skeeter with trolling motor and lean bar for 350.

hoping these give me an excuse to hit the freshwater more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum