FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

History of Float tubes?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1History of Float tubes? Empty History of Float tubes? Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:29 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I ran across this information quite accidentally

On the subject of all things water, the Dutch also invented a curious [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] – complete with rubber boots! Used for fishing and hunting, it was inflatable and utterly fabulous.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It says 17th century but one of the articles mentions 1915. Does anyone have a clearer reference?

2History of Float tubes? Empty Re: History of Float tubes? Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Here in the US i think it was in the 1940's not sure about that crazy but cool looking rubber tube.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3History of Float tubes? Empty Re: History of Float tubes? Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:36 pm

17th century is extremely doubtful since Goodyear invented rubber in 1849.

4History of Float tubes? Empty Re: History of Float tubes? Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Actually, the 17th century reference was to Cornelis Drebbel’s submarine, not the "Booted Rubber Boat" which is credited to 1915.

FWIW, Goodyear invented the vulcanization process for treating rubber, but natural rubber aka latex rubber is basically tree sap and has been known since the Olmec culture from 1500 BCE. However, it was first introduced to Europeans around the mid 18th century.

Latex rubber is sticky (and good for rubbing out pencil marks, hence the name) and tends to get hard in the cold and melt in the heat and so it wasn't until Goodyear invented his vulcanization process that rubber started to be used significantly in industrial and consumer products. Goodyear certainly didn't invent rubber, but it was his process that made it infinitely more useful and forever changed it from being a curiosity into something we use every day.

5History of Float tubes? Empty Re: History of Float tubes? Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Ornery Bob wrote:Actually, the 17th century reference was to Cornelis Drebbel’s submarine, not the "Booted Rubber Boat" which is credited to 1915.

FWIW, Goodyear invented the vulcanization process for treating rubber, but natural rubber aka latex rubber is basically tree sap and has been known since the Olmec culture from 1500 BCE. However, it was first introduced to Europeans around the mid 18th century.

Latex rubber is sticky (and good for rubbing out pencil marks, hence the name) and tends to get hard in the cold and melt in the heat and so it wasn't until Goodyear invented his vulcanization process that rubber started to be used significantly in industrial and consumer products. Goodyear certainly didn't invent rubber, but it was his process that made it infinitely more useful and forever changed it from being a curiosity into something we use every day.

See, you learn something everyday!!! I always thought the early day rubber was lambskin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum