FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Today at 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wear PFD or not?

+2
jeffcpr
Capt Ray
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wear PFD or not? Empty Wear PFD or not? Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Capt Ray

Capt Ray
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

The question is who wears their PFD while fishing from their tubes?  I usually have one per regulations but don't wear it.  

Now I am older and 'wiser" I was sitting in my tube with my chest high waders on and started thinking if my tube had a catastrophic failure and I end up in the water and my waders flood, what would my options be?

They were not many and may not end up well given the amount of water that could possibly enter the waders.  

I always have a knife at the ready but with age my breath hold is not what it once was so a cut out may be a stretch.

I am now looking at a water activated PFD.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I like the water actived PFD for sure. A few years back we had a member when out on the water get hit by a kayaker how was rowing backword. The kayak came up the back of the tube and across the back of his head.
Had it hit him in the head just right he would have moat likely been knocked out and gone face first ibto the water. He was ok and all ended up fine but it showed us just how simple it was for and accident to go very wrong. PFD while in some cases a undesired item for fishing. It really is about getting home once you are done for the day. Great subject Bob

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

This a no-brainer.

I always wear my PFD. Mine is a ONYX A/M 24 Auto and Manual. I own two.
One is a back-up, while I dry out and reload the one that's been discharged. I fish a lot, 110-sessions so far this season and this allows me to stay on the water and not having to wait on parts or for repairs to be completed.
I also lend it out to friends that need the use of one.

These PDF's are super sensitive to the water. I had mine go-off twice this year! This was good for me to know.
And wearing this PDF is like wearing nothing at all! I hardly notice mine when I wear it.
It also holds my retractable whistle and my retractable Boom-a-Rang braid cutters as well.
So it's not only handy but it's also multi-purposed. Win win!

The thing is that you just can't get sloppy and allow it to become submerged when you are getting ready to launch or when you are landing at the end of your session and you are starting to break down all your gear, on the water's edge.
Note: Direct rain hasn't set one of mine off as of yet.
Bottom line: I feel very confident that this PFD will save my life at my time of need.

I hope that this was a little bit helpful. Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Now I am older and 'wiser" I was sitting in my tube with my chest high waders on and started thinking if my tube had a catastrophic failure and I end up in the water and my waders flood, what would my options be?

You swim. Your waders might make it awkward, but they aren't going to weigh you down or anything like that. Plus, you're wearing fins and unless you're pretty skinny, you're naturally buoyant and it isn't going to take much effort to remain upright.

Leave the tube on the beach and go for a swim in your waders and fins. It's no big deal. I don't do it for fun, but if you can swim, it's certainly not life threatening.

I've been crashed into by a dumb-ass tourist kayaker and almost run down by a show-off Jet Skier and so it's the other guy who scares me. If my tube fails, I'll swim, but if some idiot cracks my melon, I want some backup.

5Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Capt Ray

Capt Ray
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ornery Bob wrote:Now I am older and 'wiser" I was sitting in my tube with my chest high waders on and started thinking if my tube had a catastrophic failure and I end up in the water and my waders flood, what would my options be?

You swim. Your waders might make it awkward, but they aren't going to weigh you down or anything like that. Plus, you're wearing fins and unless you're pretty skinny, you're naturally buoyant and it isn't going to take much effort to remain upright.

Leave the tube on the beach and go for a swim in your waders and fins. It's no big deal. I don't do it for fun, but if you can swim, it's certainly not life threatening.

I've been crashed into by a dumb-ass tourist kayaker and almost run down by a show-off Jet Skier and so it's the other guy who scares me. If my tube fails, I'll swim, but if some idiot cracks my melon, I want some backup.

I would strongly not recommend that. Although you may be buoyant enough to float and your wader design may prevent or limit water intrusion, that may not be the case for everyone.

There are many factors that effect a persons ability to float. Body mass, density, lung volume, comfort level, and fitness level, etc.

Wader design will also play a role. The material (neoprene, vinyl, etc.). How high they come up on the chest. Do they have a belt that tightens around the waist, how much free communication the upper and lower portions allow. All these will have an effect. Keep in mind a gallon of water weighs over 8lbs.

I for one am extremely negatively buoyant and sink. I am a military diver and make my living in the water (30 years) and am a very strong swimmer. I for one would never make a blanket statement that could very well lead to someone experiencing a very different outcome. I have pulled waaaaaayyy to many dead bodies from the water to ever recommend someone to attempt a swim in waders.

Only you can decide to accept the risk associated with a specific action. I for one have used up way to much of my luck to take an unnecessary risk that is easily mitigated.

Keep in mind cold water will add an additional level of risk to an unexpected immersion.

If you are comfortable with it I say go for it.

6Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

My point is that you don't have to wonder or theorize, you can easily and safely and with hopefully a measure of common sense, gently wade in and see how it goes. People have these fears of the unknown but this particular one doesn't need to be unknown.

The water in your waders doesn't weigh *anything* until you try to lift it out of the surrounding water.

Unless you panic, treading water in waders is no different than treading water without waders except for them being floppy and restricting your movement that way. The 8 lbs per gallon deal is irrelevant because you're not trying to lift yourself or your waders out of the water, you're simply trying to keep your head up.

I'm merely suggesting that if getting dumped out of your tube seems like a panic situation to you, it doesn't have to be that way. You can go to a gentle sloping beach where it's safe and you can dump yourself out and deal with it.

Personally, if I thought my waders were in any way a death trap waiting to happen, I sure as heck wouldn't wear them!

The main difference between "unexpected immersion" and "swimming" is emotional. I would submit that you can experience the reality of that in a safe and sane way if you choose to do so and perhaps that bit of experience will help to lessen the fear and panic factor if one experiences an unexpected immersion in a non-controlled situation.

How can it possibly be a bad idea to train yourself to deal with a situation that you reasonably fear might happen? Are you suggesting that people are safer if they stay out of the water and just worry about getting dumped?

7Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Let's get back to the meet of this topic the idea of PFD's, we all have opinions but the best thing for us to do is talk about safety. We don't promote putting yourself in bad spots but simple stay safe and have fun. Back to the PFD discussion.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

You have both brought up some very valid and practical points.

Preparing yourself for a safe and fun experience on the water is a good thing and to know your own limits is key.

Our safety; while we are out there on the water, is our [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] priority and FUN is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to me.

Bottom line: Wear you PFD's people.

Thanx guys,

SP Dan     <"))><

PS ... stop post hijacking, it's not appreciated. Cool

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

9Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

I always wear mine..only take it off to put on a sweater and even then i dont feel safe LOL....i do see people with them on the back of there tubes and i say to myself, HMM whats the point...but everyone to there own Thumbs Up

Tony G Fishing

Last edited by Tony G Fishing on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

10Wear PFD or not? Empty Re: Wear PFD or not? Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 am

tridao84

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

its not against the law here not to wear 1 but its frowned apon.. my tubing club over will even delete your posts if there are pics of you not wearing a pfd..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum