FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Today at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Today at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

First time tubing. Alimitos bay

+2
Ornery Bob
Brant450
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty First time tubing. Alimitos bay Tue May 29, 2018 12:08 am

Brant450

FTFF Gathering Officer

I launched from mother beach about 5:45. Today was the first time ever tubing. Worked the docks. Got 3 bites before i finally set the hook on ghe 4th. Small spotie . The ony thing that was worming for me was the baker slug 3" in ghost shrimp color. Didnt have much action after that. Was out of the water by 1030.
Quick question. Can anyone recomend a good pair of fins to float tube? I bough a pair that seem kinda heavy and i seem to be strugging to keep up with my other float tube friend. Thanks im advance!

2First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Welcome Brant!

Fins are one of those things where people have different preferences. Personally, I use an inexpensive lightweight pair of "snorkeling" fins like these. Not as heavy as most scuba fins and plenty of power.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The other main option is Force Fins, which many people like, but they are rather expensive.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will just mention that unless you're used to using fins, most people do struggle a bit getting used to them and it may take a few sessions to get comfortable no matter which style you decide on. Unless your fins were simply too heavy for you to kick them, your struggles could have been due to poor technique and that will improve over time.

When I'm cruising, I'm sitting upright and I use a kick like is like riding a bicycle backwards. All kicking power is on the upstroke and basically none on the recovery. When I need real power, then I lean back, straighten out more, and power kick on both the up and down strokes.

I'm sure others will chime in and let you know what works for them.

I was thinking of going to Mother's this morning but I felt crummy when I woke up. Sort of glad I passed on it now  Smile

Again, welcome to the FTFF and happy fishing!

3First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey Brant - welcome!

Mothers is about 5 minutes from me. You're welcome to borrow any of the fins I have (I have several) .... but I'm telling you - the Force Fins will likely be an expensive loan, as after you try them, you'll want them for sure. (the first taste is always free.....) Wink

Reach out anytime. I'm heading to HH this weekend - likely Sunday AM. We can meet there and I can bring a pair for you to try.

- Ken

4First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Brant450

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ya man im totally down. Take my number and shoot me a text. Im down to go tube sunday. 5626526298

5First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Tue May 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

OKay buddy. I started a thread. Lets plan to meet at Seabridge park in HH - 6:30 A on Sunday.

It'll be great.

- Ken

6First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Tue May 29, 2018 8:47 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Force Fin makes a few different styles of fins.

OB's photo of the Force Fin (shown above) is the style that you would strap on over a pair of wader boots and not the style that I prefer. I wear the style that I slip my foot into the fin.

I also found that with FF's that I don't need to do the bicycle motion to propel me, the FF's are scoop designed so a simple and slow forward / backward motion will propel you. It's not a race out there.

I also wear fin leashes with my FF's because FF's (I found out the hard way) will sink.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

7First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Wed May 30, 2018 11:02 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Brand450,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. I use Force Fins and a set of Omega Flip Fins. I use more energy kicking the Omega fins and I do feel like they are faster, but I never race anyone when I am fishing. I have noticed that very fit people like tri-athletes or runners like the dive fins, and very large guys, say 250 pounds and up seem to prefer the dive fins.

I hope this helps

8First time tubing. Alimitos bay Empty Re: First time tubing. Alimitos bay Wed May 30, 2018 1:09 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I'm not 250 yet......but I have dive fins currently. My 3 pairs have lead to dive..........easier on my legs, you get a lot of water movement with less force to the leg and thigh muscles, my opinion and they can be cheaper than FF. Purchased mine on sale $76........theirs a whole thread on fins, do a search............GT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum