FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fly Fishing from a float tube the Basics

+4
SP Dan
Jerdon
jplee3
jeffcpr
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fly Fishing from a float tube the Basics Empty Fly Fishing from a float tube the Basics Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:38 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This video I have seen before and wanted to share with everyone. If you have ever thought about fly fishing here is a basic video that will get you started.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great vid! I was watching this beforehand just to get an idea of how to work the float tube in general. Pretty helpful too watching them fly fish it in action. I think the tough part is adjusting to casting while sitting. Motion wise, it should be no different than standing but I think just being in a different position can throw things off. But at the same time you shouldn't need to make tons of false casts (and this is will wear a person down when casting with sink-tip too). I'm guessing that the biggest factors with fly fishing from a float tube in the harbor are:
1) a good roll cast
2) intermediate sink tip

And if you're in a larger bay where there's less shelter from wind, add a good double-haul to that list...something I still need to work on big time. Of course, per the video you could always try to reposition yourself so the wind is on your back or across your casting shoulder, which is the beauty of the float tube too Smile But sometimes I think there might be situations where you just want to cast to a certain spot and the wind is blowing in your face or from your casting side, in which case learning to deal with that would help immensely.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great video for introducing the tube.

I started out on the tube with one fly rod and two reels, floating and sinking lines respectively. Two boxes of flys and I was good to go. My little Browning doughnut tube had plenty of room for everything back then.

SP Dan

SP Dan

Luved the video Jeff!
I think that I had better focus on the type of fishing I’m doing today; and try to get better at it, than to try to take on another styl of fishing. But it looks like a lot of fun!

Thanx for sharing it Jeff! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice video Thanks!

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Used to fly fish for small mouth from a canoe quite a bit. Had a lot of fun. Catching fish on poppers where you can see the strike can be a hoot. Pretty much abandoned it in the yak, for some of the reasons cited above; plus an 8 or 9 ft rod is really not very yak compatible.

Never really related to salt because of wind, and sink tips. After all, it is supposed to be fun.

I see a few guys trolling flies on the bays. Not sure why they don't just go conventional--except they can tie their own flies and that is a satisfying experience in itself. Well, I will say that a 9 ft rod bends in a really beautiful way with a fish on.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I agree that tying your own flies and landing fish on them is a reward all itself. Fly fishing the Harbor has never looked like fun to me either but maybe someday I will give it a shot. Of course only after I have tied my own flies for the salt.

bugger

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Bob G wrote:
I see  a few guys trolling flies on the bays.  Not sure why they don't just go conventional--

I see lots of guys fishing all kinds of plastics in many different colors,shapes and scents. Not sure why they don't just dunk bait--

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ha ha ha bait is boring lure fishing is the way to go at least that is my 2 cents.

bugger

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Ha ha ha bait is boring lure fishing is the way to go at least that is my 2 cents.

I was just joking around. Everybody body has their own thing that turns them on.green happy

I just happen to troll flies and I'll kick circles around my buddies who'll sit still waiting for something to hit their plastics. We're both watching each other thinking "Man that doesn't look like fun" lol

Also I don't know if this is good or not but I haven't thought of fishing as Fun for along time. I don't want to go fishing I HAVE to go fishing.

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

"Sit still waiting for something to hit their plastics"?  Really?

Well Bugger, didn't mean to pull your chain about "trolling flies".   Truth is that I just love fly fishing in some situations; and, of course, it is the most efficient way to fish in some.  I just never thought of fly fishing in water deeper than about 10 feet--or for fish that won't come up to strike--as the most efficient method.  Went through a period when I would not pick up anything but a fly rod; but, I got past that.

I only fish for fun; doesn't mean that it is not an imperative, however.

Last edited by Bob G on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)

562fly

562fly
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

When I fly fish the bay I am trolling but I can tell you one thing.  You tend to attract a certain size of fish with the size of the fly you use. So if your using say a 1/8 hook up bait vs me using my size 4 fly I can guarantee you that I would get hit by a smaller fish that is active than one that would hit the 1/8 hook up bait. Just because the fish is able to fit the fly in its mouth. I've caught a bunch of calico out of the lab which isn't a typical catch there with my size 2 Clouser.
But then again all those calicos were small and they would never hit my 1/4 hook up bait because it's too big. Now If I start going to bigger flies then Ill get bigger fish. So if I want to beat the skunk I go with the fly. True I can't be flipping and pitching with the fly rod next to the boats. But like it was mentioned certain situations are better for the fly. For example, if I'm fly fishing the lab, in most of the time trolling and roll casting so I don't hit boats. Now if I'm in Huntington harbor I can false cast and do all kinds of stuff since most of the fishing is by the bridge which has no boats around. And of course, I can technically fish with two flies attached and have double hookups every cast. So that would be another advantage of fishing on the fly vs me fishing my conventional gear. All in all, I enjoy both but I can definitely say I love fighting the fish more on the fly since I'm not using the reel to bring it in. And that's my two cents.

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Good points 562fly. As I mentioned, an 8 or 9 ft rod really does bend beautifully, and you do have a more direct connection to the fish if you don't put it on the reel.

I will say that you are a better man than I if you are roll casting a weighted fly or sink tip line.

Discussion is interesting, but as we know the important thing is to get out there and fish, and the manner of doing so is a personal preference.

(I was shuffling through some old photos last evening and found a selfie of me lipping a 19.5" river small mouth (20" being the gold standard) that I took from a fairly deep hole on some kind of weighted fly while fishing from a canoe. Fly rod was also conspicuously clutched in hand. I found another of a 28 to 30" Snook, with my fly rod tucked under my arm (caught at night under lighted docks, what fun.)

562fly

562fly
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Geez, BobG sounds like your living the dream. Snook on the fly sounds amazing. Hopefully this summer or spring my dream of catching a pike on the fly will come true.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum