FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Today at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

What type of lead head do you use when fishing tube baits?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I have been experimenting with making some of my own tubes, and I know others on the forum have as well (Alakai, OB). I was curious to see what type of lead head(s) that you all use?

I like to use my left over HUB heads if possible, but have not had much luck in finding something similar. I have a friend who makes lead weights offer to cast a mold for me to pur my own, but I don't think I want that kind of work at this point.

Anyone find any good lead heads that work well with home made tubes?

Thanks in advance!

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use tube heads from Walmart or fish shops, for now.
For the 1/4 oz I use the Eagle claws from walmart for like $3 for 10. For 3/8 oz I have to go to tackle stores and they cost about $0.80 each.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

Alakai wrote:For 3/8 oz I have to go to tackle stores and they cost about $0.80 each.

Any particular shape you like better than others? I have tried some that are shaped like a pill, ball or bell. I know they all have different presentations, and curious if anyone has a preference. Thanks Alakai!

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

As you know, I have not been doing this long and my numbers show my ignorance but I just use the pill looking ones. Works for me since I have my eyes on the outside of my baits. The internal lead with the eyes are awesome though. I will have them very soon

SP Dan

SP Dan

I save all of my jig leads from my spent HUB’s.
I figured that I already spent the money for them, so why not re-purpose them again!
I place two drops of plastic glue down inside the tube, push the jig all the way in to the end and trim with an X-Acto knife for the tying eye.
I can’t tell the difference and I doubt that the fish can either as long as it moves in front of them! lol

Good luck, and please let us know your findings.

SP Dan    <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use tear dropped and pill shaped. If I run out, I use regular ball shaped head. Quite honestly, it's whatever you want to use that can fit inside the tube. If you want more of the death spiral, just dont shove the head all the way to the nose of the bait. You know that you can always fish them on a texas rig as well. Specifically, everything (including the bullet sinker), stays inside the tube body.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I like to use the tear drop shaped jig heads for my tubes, and I really do not have a brand preference, but I do look for a sturdy hook as opposed to a finesse style. That said, I will use whatever I have available at the time, swibait jig heads, little ball shaped, I have Texas rigged them but never in the style kin mentioned.

I hope this helps

Thank you all very much for you replies! I now have a better idea of what people are using out there. I have been using the bell/teardrop head for dropping on pilings because I like how it lets the tail lift. I like the "pill" shapes when I want to cast a bit, and have the tube lay a bit more flat on the bottom.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SP Dan

SP Dan

I’m still saving up all my spent HUB Owner jigheads and I am gluing them inside other hollow tubes which seem to work pretty doggone well plus the fact that I’ve already paid for them once so why not repurpose them ?! Lol

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Check it out Logan. These are what I will use now. You caught me in transition, lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ohhhhh! Are those the ones you were waiting for? So pretty!

Sent from Topic'it App

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am using these basspro flat minnow heads. They have a longer shank but they seem to work okay. I believe the size i have is a quarter ounce but it could be 3/8.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum