FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Today at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Today at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All

+4
jeffcpr
TobyB
Jerdon
tednruthy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

tednruthy

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi, I have had my cumberland since last July. Only fished it 3 times. We winter in Tucson and summer throughout the USA. I needed a 'boat' that fit in our motorhome. I have done a lot of reading here and tricked it out already with rod holders, fish finder, anchor, big yellow tray. Then I saw some YouTubes with electric trolling motors... I bought a 24# thrust over craigslist and modified my rod holders adding a front transom and battery case holder. I haven't had it out on the water yet but will in the next couple of weeks. I will report back. I also will put some pictures on the next time I unpack and assemble it. PLEASE report back on what thoughts you all have on motorizing. I looked and found very little discussion of this. As a 72+ year old senior I had more trouble than most in fighting the wind that was present the three times I used the tube so far. The fins were very tiring. I used only the less expensive and likely less efficient ones made for over boots.

Ted

2Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum tednruthy!

The wind is not our friend on the tubes. I'd like to see some pics of tube and your trolling set up on the Cumberland when you get a chance.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

3Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The wind sucks. I use force fins and they seem to be more efficient and I don't seem to be as tired. I have used the thruster fins from classic accessories and they are better than the step in fins. If you can find those or a decent dice fin will probably work better then the find you are using.

Sent from Topic'it App

4Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Tue May 21, 2019 3:01 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

It has been talked about but you are right not enough. I don't use a motor as I don't want the hassle but that is just me. If it was somethings i needed to enjoy my time on the water i would be looking for me info as well. Look forward to seeing your pictures. Time for a motor discussion guys.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Wed May 22, 2019 12:55 am

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the forum! I would say that if a trolling motor works well for you then by all means use it. The wind and currents can make float tubing a lot of kicking around.

6Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Welcome to the site and whatever you decide to do and if it works for you then by all means go-for-it.
I personally don’t use a motor, I just use my Force Fins and if the conditions don’t allow me to get out then I just don’t get out.
If you do set up a motor on your float tube, I’d be very interested in seeing some pictures of your set up and to hear how it works-out for you on your tube.

SP Dan     <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

7Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Sat May 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I don't use a trolling motor but as far as find I picked up a really nice pair of dive fins from someone on the "OfferUp" app.  It is similar to Craigslist.  I ended up paying $20 for fins that retail in the $150 range new. They're in excellent condition too. If I can find find to fit my size 15 dive boots I put over my waders, I'm sure you can find something on there to suit your needs. A friend was able to use my XL fins over his boot foot waders. Maybe an option. In my opinion they're much more efficient. With a trolling motor you have to consider the weight of the battery causing hydrodynamic efficiency of the tube to decrease since it will sit lower in the water. However if the battery lasts the entire day, it really doesn't matter much since you won't be kicking around without it. Ultimately, you know what's best for you and what works for one may not for another. So filter through any advice given because everyone here has been tubing quite some time it seems so I'm sure they will steer you right.

8Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Sat May 25, 2019 6:23 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I to am an OLE GUY, 71 this June, and have thought of ways of motoring myself around. My session at HH Friday was cut short by the wind, and the fish were biting, sucks.
I have looked into a product by Bixby, small propulsion motor that attaches to the underside of your tube. Battery is lithium, lighter and longer lasting than a conventional lead core battery for trolling. But the drawback is the price, $1000 for the setup. Their is another unit made in Europe that has been discussed here, da can't remember the name, and it to is $1000. But I did find a trolling unit with a short shaft, made for yaks and tubes for around $300. I have not looked into a lithium battery for a trolling motor, don't know that they make them. Oh and at one time a guy made a small inner tube for trolling motor and battery that attached to the bow of your tube, it pulled you through the water. That's about it, hope this helps, welcome aboard..........GT

9Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Sat May 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

GT they do make lithium battery for trolling motor However they are very very expensive.

10Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Empty Re: Recent new member, 2nd post, Hi All Sat May 25, 2019 6:39 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

How much are we talking about?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum