FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just joined the forum and went on my first float tube session last weekend!!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PredxRaptor

FTFF Gathering Officer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
How’s it going all. I just wanted to pick the brains of a bunch of guys with a lot more experience than myself! So I have a Cumberland because I hadn’t done a ton of research beforehand and just wanted to get out there on my trip to Panguitch Lake.

So...about my ABS rod holder system. As you see in the picture I have some cheap $40 off brand lucky fish finder. I got some 10lb velcro from Walmart and bam. (Since I’ve modified it and made a mount out of an outlet plastic cover). Ya know I did a bit of research and thought about the hummingbird fishin buddy or something around the 100 buck range, but I realistically need to know the general depth the fish are in. Plus, I’m an apprentice electrician and don’t have a ton of dinero lol. FOR ME, it does the job perfectly, but I would appreciate why some of you guys prefer some higher end models.

Okay, after taking it out for one spin I’ll definitely modify my rod holders more. There’s a 4 way abs valve that I’ll probably get for one or two of the slots. I found that once I caught the fish and needed to net it that it was quite difficult. So instead of building and entire system for my right side I saw there was this Y-looking piece at Home Depot that might fix my issue. I read somewhere in this forum about threading the ABS rod holder and I REALLY want to look into that. I’m trying to get my system down in size as much as I can. I’d love to know if anyone has pulled that off.

I know most guys seem to have a garage for storage, but my only space is a walk in closet lol. Plus I packed 5 people into my Toyota Sequoia and had quite the space issue. So I did some research and will likely get a weatherproof bag for the top of my car and just keep it in my garage 24/7 ready to go. I think the 15sq ft one will be enough space to fit everything, but if anyone has something similar let me know!!

Can anyone explain to me why the slimmer PFD’s are upwards of 150 bucks?? Craziness. I had my regular life jacket on and it didn’t seem to bother me at all honestly.

Now I had rushed and bought the cheapest amazon waders I could get, which was for about 45-50 bucks. Nothing to shout about. I did get a bit wet on my shins when I was wading about chest deep, but being in the float tube I never retained water. I would love some wader suggestions maybe around 150 bucks?? I know a lot of guys recommend Simms, but man that’s just too much of an investment for me personally. ALL WISDOM ACCPETED.

Now here’s where I struggle a bit too. Should I get waders with boots or booties??? I’m leaning towards booties so I can get more comfortable water shoes. It seems to be about getting as comfortable as possible out in the water.

I know most guys recommend Force Fins. I can totally respect that. I got the fins that come in a combo with the Cumberland and HATED them lol. If anyone can send me in the right direction of some used ones or I’ll just keep an eye out for them on eBay or something. OR if anyone has used similar models to the Force Fins I’d love to know how those worked out!!

Alright...what’s up with 7 Bass ??? I LOVE their website man, but everything is out of stock. I could think of so many fun projects or additions for the float tube with their glue on mount system or glue on D-Rings, but they’re all out of stock. I think there’s a store out in LA. Maybe I’ll make the drive one of these days and see what they have in stock. Are there similar products out there to 7 Bass’s accessories???

I’m fishing for trout most of the time and if you guys catch a keeper how are you storing it??! I just used a stringer last time and it worked SO SO lol. I did have a bit of a tangle at times, but not too bad. I’d love to get one of those float baskets and let it float off my side.

If anyone actually read all that I appreciate it haha!! This forum has a ton of knowledge and helped answer a ton of my questions! Thanks and good luck out there.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Well welcome to the forum PredxRaptor

OK so I will share some info with you.
Electronics:
I have an old Lowrance black and white screen its nothing special and I can say that it works fine for me. I am not sure if I would catch more fish with better electronics but you never know. Just work with what you have and upgrade when you see the need or a good deal.

Storage:
A Garage is very useful, but the float tube is meant to stow away if needed. I have always left my tubes inflated in the garage with no issues. Just be sure to not leave it fully inflated as I am sure you know it will in crease in pressure on hot days and then yo have issues. If you are going to stow it away be sure it is fully dry before sticking it in a bag.

PFD's:
What every you use...just use it I started with a water skiers PFD and finally moved to an inflatable vest. I like the thinner inflatable vest as I can move more freely. Of course that is just me, I think the bigger issues is please use the PFD you have for safety.

Waders:
Simms are great and there are many others that are great as well. I use Frogg Toggs Guide Pants amazon for under $100. These work on the Maxxon XPW 240 as I sit why high out of the water. They could work with the Cumberland just fine. what every you get just be sure to take care of them so they last.

Booties or Boots:
I have always used Bootie type waders and have gone through a bunch over the years because walking from the parking lot to the water is rough on the booties. I can see where boot style waders can be better to use for this reason. But I did just buy a pair of Neoprene booties to wear over my waders and they seem to work just fine (buy a size bigger then your foot size).

Fins:
Use what you have and get use to them. I myself have been using dive fins since I started I may not be the fastest on the water but they serve me well. The big this is will they fit your waders. If you have a boot foot you need a boot foot fin. If you are using a Bootie wader the you can use a dive fin with an adjustable heel strap. Force fins I know are great but again use what you have and you will get use to them in time. Just my 2 cents.

7Bass:
Don't bother I worked with them in the beginning and helped them get a foot hold here in the US and then they screwed me over. The product is great but they are not in the US and there customer service is Honorable. There are other options, we sell the Maxxon XPW 240 an 239 bu these are big boats not meant for everyone. We also promote Caddis float tubes which have a version of float tube that is hybrid as well. Ask for more details and I will point you in the right direction. I will not say that the 7Bass product was poor it was built very well, but there follow through and service was very Poor.

Keeping Trout:
Myself I am a CPR kind of guy but when I fish trout I will bring a floating stringer it is easy to attach and bring along with you.

I hope this helps and of course please keep asking questions we will be here to answer them for you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

SP Dan

SP Dan

Welcome aboard PredxRaptor!
I glad that you found us here on FTFF.

I agree with what Jeff said above and with what Jerdon and Ron had to say just below.  Cool  lol

Rule of thumb to remember: "You get what you pay for".

Tight-lines  Thumbs Up

SP Dan

Last edited by SP Dan on Mon May 25, 2020 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum PredxRaptor,

Thanks for sharing a pic of your tube and progress so far. Most of us seem to tinker or progress as time goes on. A few trips and you discover what works for you. Making the rod holders yourself gives you all the flexibility you need. Fins, I ended up with 2 pairs Force Fins, one for barefoot in the summer, and one to fit over wading booties, but use what you can afford and enjoy the time on the water. Waders, I have Frog Togg pants and Reddington chest high, both stocking foot so I can wear walking booties. Also, I buy my waders larger than I need, the sitting position causes stress issues if you don't have enough leg room.

You seem to have made use of our search feature so keep using it, Most of all have fun.

rjb_Skins

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Welcome to the Forum. I am biased (of course) but I would suggest my Wader Skins Pants or Leggings as an option (particularly for float tubing). Dan has a pair of Wader Skins Leggings and uses them all of the time in his float tube. Much safer than Waders, and not too expensive...Leggings are $99.95 and Pants are $249.95. You can check them out on my website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.waderskins.com

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

rjb_Skins wrote:Welcome to the Forum.  I am biased (of course) but I would suggest my Wader Skins Pants or Leggings as an option (particularly for float tubing).  Dan has a pair of Wader Skins Leggings and uses them all of the time in his float tube.  Much safer than Waders, and not too expensive...Leggings are $99.95 and Pants are $249.95.  You can check them out on my website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have seen these and worked with Ron for a few years now. I will say his product is well worth it. Just as SP Dan he can chime in on these as well.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum