FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Empty New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:30 am

guido

FTFF Gathering Officer

I purchased the Prowler listed in the classifieds. A week of shipping from the wast coast passed in high expectation, but it got here in good shape well packed and it seems to have traveled well.

After a couple of beginner stumbles (taking the summit II valves out of dump mode, getting the correct adapter installed on the K200 pump etc...) I got it inflated and set up. Everything seems to be in working order and good shape.

Unfortunately it arrived with a blasting high pressure front and gale force winds, but it was in the upper forties and hadn't frozen overnight for a couple days so I had at least moderate hopes as I headed out to the Cape Cod kettle ponds in search of trout.

Well the wind was blasting and the pond I intended to fish had large whitecaps. So I looked around and found a smaller pond that was slightly sheltered, or at least had a shorter fetch. I set up, giving the main tube and the seat/floor bladder a top off as they had an hour and a half ride in the unheated back of my truck to cool off.

As I went to attach the finder I discover that I have forgotten the unit to battery pigtail cable so so I put the finder back in the truck for another time...

So I get to the water set up and head out. It has been about 15 years since I last used a tube and my goodness have things improved. This thing does an amazing job at getting you up and out of the water and really makes for a fabulous casting experience.

I worked the shoreline and drop-off for about 2 hours without a touch. and then turned around for the head back into the wind. I immediately discovered the price in wind resistance for the high position and also started to take notice of how much the seat had lost pressure. Very happy I had worn my pfd. Oh my... After a 3/4 mile kick in the sagging boat into a nasty wind I made it back to the put in.
So a mixed bag...

When I got home, I did some youtube research, took out the valve core cleaned up the threads and seal, and re-tightened. I aired it up and put it in my garage for the night.
It seemed a bit better in the morning, some loss of air, but I attributed that to temp change.

I went out to a closer lake that was open and gave it another go. Topped up the air and headed out. Remembered all of the finder bits so it was nice to have that up and going. But the wind was picking up again so I decided to bag it. Packed up and headed home. But as I took the tube out of the truck I noticed that the seat was softening again. Grrr...

So I now have a couple of new Summit II valves on order and a bottle of ToobSeal in case replacing the valve doesn't get it's attention...

I'll update as I get more data...

Last edited by guido on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

2New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Empty Re: New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:29 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Great review on the Outcast Prowler. I have always liked the look of this one it just looks crazy comfortable. Have you tried looking for a small leak in the seat? I am sure changing the valves could be a good fix but if that does not work it could also be a very small leak in a seem on the seat. I am sure if you find a leak it would be a pretty easy fix.
Either way you have time I am sure once the weather lets you back on the water you will have it all dialed in. So looking forward to some reports and pictures from the Cape Cod area.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Empty Re: New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Good luck on finding and fixing your leak guido!

My very first float tube was a Outcast FishCat Deluxe 4.
It was a great ride but I didn’t care for the air filled seat and back rests nor it’s flimsy lap tray.

For my water safety, I prefer float tubes that have foam seats and back rests.

So, today I’m riding on a Cumberland even tho I still don’t care for their flimsy lap tray neither. lol

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Empty Re: New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:21 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report guido.

The Prowler looks like an awesome tube and I am glad to hear your version. Good luck with sorting out the leak and keep us posted.

5New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Empty Re: New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:46 pm

guido

FTFF Gathering Officer

Turns out there was a long line of leak where the one of the internal to the bladder structures attaches to the skin. Outcast support suggests a couple of thick layers of glue is the best repair solution and I will do that so I have a spare, but I installed a fresh new bladder and it is now good as new...

Now I just need some soft water to use it in...

Outcast support gets high marks for turning around emails as we walked through what was going on with it and they shipped out the replacement tube quickly.

6New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Empty Re: New (to me) Outcast Prowler Review Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:41 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

guido wrote:Turns out there was a long line of leak where the one of the internal to the bladder structures attaches to the skin. Outcast support suggests a couple of thick layers of glue is the best repair solution and I will do that so I have a spare, but I installed a fresh new bladder and it is now good as new...

Now I just need some soft water to use it in...

Outcast support gets high marks for turning around emails as we walked through what was going on with it and they shipped out the replacement tube quickly.

That is great to hear I think next to long lasting tubes its a group that stands behind there product. Thanks for sharing this with us hope you can still get the other bladder fixed.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum