FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

We need fishing stories - even lies are ok!!!!!!!

+4
SP Dan
Troutbum
jeffcpr
OldMan
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Lies are completely acceptable, just don't be too transparent about it.

I will start:
About 20 years ago (Labor day next year) my beloved and I flew our light airplane to Spaulding airport, on the shores of Eagle Lake. Note: This was before the extreme drought years and the lake was full).

We rented a little aluminum boat with a motor that could scoot us (somewhat slowly) all across the lake. We spoke with the late George, the lady who ran the general store. She asked: "have you ever fished here before?"

I said no and she said, "don't follow the example of the small-p*nis guys with the big boats with a lot of gear. all you need is little bitty poles your size (4'6" Daiwa ultralights), some snelled [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] hooks and a box of night crawlers I'll sell you right here. We rented the boat from her, too.

On the way to the spot, we saw western grebes, osprey, baldies, coots, ducks...it was fantastic. We got to the spot, stopped the boat (didn't anchor, wind was calm), baited up and flipped the bait into the water with no additional weight.

The idea was to let it sink of its own weight, leave the bail open and when the line starts zinging off, you've got fish ON!!!

About 15 minutes into actual fishing, I had my first bite. On tiny ultralight tackle, it's a good fight we have an ice chest we use to keep the gutted fish cold, so I bapped him in the head, cut his gills and bled him, then gut the fish and wrap that bad boy in ice.

About 20 minutes, Deb (not her real name) had line zinging off. She made me so proud, it was the biggest fish she'd ever caught and all I did was net it and kibitz but only a little, telling her to keep her rod tip up, to keep pressure on the fish.

After we killed, bled and gutted that fish, I caught two more, which gave us our limit for the day. When we boated back, we asked if George would freeze our fish and of course she did.

But the best part, the BEST part of this story was when we were putting sh*t back in the tackle box, we could hear other people fishing asking each other, "how the F*CK did they do that?" These were guys in big boats, bristling with gear. Fish finders and such.

I have sonar, now, and I use it but all I need it for at Eagle is marking places in the lake for future use. I use it on rental fishing boats. Garmin Striker4.

So, what BIG lie have you got for the sub? I await your prose!!!

Troutbum and OldMan like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ok I like the topic here is my story.

As a kid we use to camp at lake Gregory (camp Switzerland) every summer. It was out trip I could not wait for year after year. When I was younger I would seat in shore and soak mini marshmallows like everyone else. But that was not my speed. I wanted to be active I am not a bait and wait fisherman.

So one year the owner of Camp Switzerland clued me into the Crappie that could be found on North Shore were we always fished. I geared up for them and did strat to find them. I was hooked they were so much fun.

I started to get good at finding them year after year. I would be funny looks as everyone there was older and fishing for the stocked trout (bait and wait). One guy asked why are you fishing for those small fish. My answer I caught 10 in an hour how did you do. He laughed and said have fun.

Well one day on a camping trip after lunch I walked up to do some solo fishing which was not unusual for me. If I was not at the camp site I was at the lake. I came up to the lake and the road is above the lake so you can look down at the water. As I am looking down I see this black mass in the water just out side the weed line I would normal would fish. Not sure what I was looking at I headed over to the mass and made a cast. First cast hooked a Crappie. Cast number 2 hookup, cast 3 fish in and so on and so one. The mass moved up and down the shore and I was the only one in them for about 3 to 4 hours. I lost could but it had to be close to 100 landed. Nothing huge but what a blast it was. So wish I could find those same condition some day at lake Gregory again.

That's my story and and I'm sticking to it.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off — then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me. Just joking.

I am boring and a lousy fisherman....

jeffcpr, SP Dan and OldMan like this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

I enjoy your reads!
Keep em’ com’n!
Thank you

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

5We need fishing stories - even lies are ok!!!!!!! Empty Well ? Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:44 pm

JCPenny

JCPenny
FTFF Gathering Officer

Well ? It’s hard to follow this with a lie !

Troutbum, Whacked and Pablosparky like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I like you shirt that's cool

aambaro4

aambaro4
FTFF Gathering Officer

Quite the fishin' adventure you got there! Just shows you don't always need all that high-tech gear to haul in the big ones.

jeffcpr likes this post

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear Penthouse,

You won't believe what I am about to tell you, but every word is true I swear...

Rancho Seco, outside of Galt, CA
Rancho Seco in particular the pond made for the old SMUD Nuclear Powerplant. The twin silos are all that remain. In spite of the jokes, catch Blinky the 3 Eyed Fish. the pond was never used for cooling.

The pond has been known for its LM Bass fishing. Its pretty much the only place I fished for bass, as the pond is basically planted trout once a year, for the derby. Maybe they plant more, I don't know.

Anyways, I was tooling around on my Colorado when I saw a fish boil. A small trout leaped into the air followed by a monster! No time to swap rigs, I flipped a lizard over the boil.

BAM!!! Fish On!!

What a beast! The trout put up a good fight. As I brought him closer, I saw it was the monster! My heart thumping loudly I grabbed my net to bring him in.

I was shaking with excitement as I guided the trophy to my net when suddenly

Spitooie!

He spit out my lizard and swam away.

Totally bummed, I looked in my net to see a dinky trout.

The little bugger ate my lizard, then the monster ate the dinky. What are the odds?
I swear Penthouse, it happened exactly as I saw it.

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Lyons Reservoir, Sierra Village off HWY 108.
Lyons is operated by PG&E, but it is also drinking water so no swimming or boating, fishing from the bank or dam only. Further upstream at Frasier Flat is a place fly fisherman go.

Lyons was a favorite for my late wife. she had memories of there as a child and the store that used to be there. I grew up in that area but never visited until I was a adult, thus the store was long since demoed.

Anyways we were chillin, drowning worms, having a great day. Our chairs was set up a couple feet from the waters edge. Poles off to the sides, and 3 decent sized rainbows chilling in the stringer in front of us.

Like I said, we were chillin, enjoying the day; wind whispering thru the pines, the honks of the geese flying around. Just enjoying a very beautiful day. Suddenly,...

DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!

Man how I wished I owned a gopro and had it recording. Completely and totally unbelievable, it happened so fast you couldn't get a pic of it in time.

A Bald Eagle swooped down, grabbed our stringer and took off with our fish. I could have reached out and touched the Raptor, but I was caught off-guard, shocked, and in awe of just how HUGE those birds are.

That was such an amazing experience, we laughed for hours over that.

Good times!

SP Dan likes this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

What a great experience to witness and share.
Thank you

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

jklingel

FTFF Gathering Officer

OK. I mentioned this in another section, so if the story is different here it is because I was lying the first time. Kidding. This is no BS. I was tube fishing in Johnson Lake on the way to the Kenai several years ago, and found the dark water just a tad unnerving. I have nearly drowned 3 times in my life, once as a kid, then just after college, and once as an adult. I therefor have a tad of trepidation when in new water. This was an old-style tube so I was deep in the water. I caught a few small trout and was having a blast when suddenly one trout took a deep dive, leading me to believe a pike snagged it. The damn fish fought in the weirdest way I've ever felt. No rapid throbbing, just a fairly steady tug with slight pauses here and there, rather like I'd expect from a living anchor. After several minutes I started bringing the fish in close and was hoping to at least get a good look at "the pike" before it spit the trout out. No-go. As my leader was getting close to my rod tip I knew the fish was just a few feet below me, right near my feet and rising. The water was too black to see more than a couple of feet down. No fish appeared, but rather a huge, white mass about 4' across came rushing up toward the surface. So here I am with my legs dangling in front of this monster wondering if he is going to drop the fish and give me a bite on a thigh or a tad higher. "Hey man. Leave that part alone, eh?" Then the sucker popped up not 5 feet in front of me with a mangled trout in his mouth. It was a freaking loon. Had I a revolver I would have big-holed that bird.

jeffcpr likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

jklingel wrote:OK. I mentioned this in another section, so if the story is different here it is because I was lying the first time. Kidding. This is no BS. I was tube fishing in Johnson Lake on the way to the Kenai several years ago, and found the dark water just a tad unnerving. I have nearly drowned 3 times in my life, once as a kid, then just after college, and once as an adult. I therefor have a tad of trepidation when in new water. This was an old-style tube so I was deep in the water. I caught a few small trout and was having a blast when suddenly one trout took a deep dive, leading me to believe a pike snagged it. The damn fish fought in the weirdest way I've ever felt. No rapid throbbing, just a fairly steady tug with slight pauses here and there, rather like I'd expect from a living anchor. After several minutes I started bringing the fish in close and was hoping to at least get a good look at "the pike" before it spit the trout out. No-go. As my leader was getting close to my rod tip I knew the fish was just a few feet below me, right near my feet and rising. The water was too black to see more than a couple of feet down. No fish appeared, but rather a huge, white mass about 4' across came rushing up toward the surface. So here I am with my legs dangling in front of this monster wondering if he is going to drop the fish and give me a bite on a thigh or a tad higher. "Hey man. Leave that part alone, eh?" Then the sucker popped up not 5 feet in front of me with a mangled trout in his mouth. It was a freaking loon. Had I a revolver I would have big-holed that bird.

Wow now that is a story to tell for years to come LOL.

jklingel

FTFF Gathering Officer

It got my heart rate up for a few seconds there!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum