FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Today at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Today at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Encounter with a Dragon

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Encounter with a Dragon Empty Encounter with a Dragon Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:06 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey everyone!
  It’s me Bodfish from Southern California. Im here in Baltimore Maryland working, and at every opportunity investigating the local fishery. I have been able over the last few months to fish for an amazing new (to me) species that is as exciting as it is controversial. The Northern Snakehead.

When i first arrived here i went directly to the nearest tackle store as i usually do to get some intel. I was fortunate enough to find Tochtermans. An amazing tackle store proudly owned and operated by the same family for the last 102 years! The gents there spoke of the trout fishing on the Gunpowder River, hickory shad below the Conowingo dam, stripers, and numerous species of catfish,…. And then one of the younger employees mentioned the Snakehead and my curiosity was peaked. The older fellas just sniffed and went about other business while the youngster filled me in about the fabled fish, finally handing me a name and number to call if i wanted a guided trip.
   I called and set up my trip with Lowland Outfitters, and the following Saturday afternoon i was paddling in my own NuCanoe fishing kayak along side Matt Fletcher my guide.
We fished in the peaty dark waters of the Black Water Nature Preserve some hour and a half southeast of Baltimore. Beautiful and vast marsh and tidal estuary waters no more than 6-7 feet deep at their deepest teeming with all types of warm water species. We fished against the clumped edges of the marsh grass in water 2 to 0 feet deep. We were casting to the edges with soft plastic paddle foot frogs and retrieving them slowly back. Long story short i was bit twice on that trip but could not put the hook to them. But,.. the bites were violent, and in such shallow water resulted in huge boils, and noise. I was hooked. Over the next month or two and 4 or 5 more trips i have learned to appreciate this new fish and would rather pursue it almost more than anything else at present. They are mean, extremely violent when they strike, they fight very hard, and because of their teeth, are a bit risky to handle, the smaller ones are beautifully colored, the big ones are black and ugly….they are fantastic. Perhaps the most fun thing about them is they love to eat the frog! Oh, and here is a final bonus…. THEY ARE BY FAR, THE BEST EATING FRESHWATER FISH I HAVE EVER EATEN!!!  It is encouraged by most, including the wildlife management in Maryland, to eat the Snakehead rather than release it. But the fishes popularity and now value as an important asset to the sport fishery in this area, has divided the eco conscious fisherman and a growing contingent of catch and release snakehead fans. So the Dragon, (a Snakehead at least 30” long) is very abundant, and becoming ever more popular. I am a huge fan of the fish, and hope i get few more shots at them before i have to go.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That’s my almost Dragon, 29 1/2” , 8lb

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That’s Matt, with his personal best, 34”, 11lb Dragon

Troutbum, SP Dan, Bullgill66 and Jc153fishing like this post

2Encounter with a Dragon Empty Re: Encounter with a Dragon Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Wow, a great new species to chase and eat!
They certainly look meaty. Well congrats on the new fishing adventures and thanks for sharing.

3Encounter with a Dragon Empty Re: Encounter with a Dragon Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:29 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I understand that the snakehead fish is a completely invasive species to the American waters.
I am a 100% catch and release fisherman … but I think I would keep and cook all snakeheads. lol
I look forward to tasting one!

Thank you for your excellent fish report with pictures. 🎣

Tight lines
SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

tunacat likes this post

4Encounter with a Dragon Empty Snakehead Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Outstanding
Looks like a blast fishing shallow topwater but the teeth on those things look scary

Check out Zman topwater plastics
Should hold up better and have a better hookup ratio

5Encounter with a Dragon Empty Re: Encounter with a Dragon Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the report, and congrats on the new species !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum