FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Very nearly in the game,...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Very nearly in the game,... Empty Very nearly in the game,... Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok guys,
I finally got a few days off so I could concentrate on getting myself back in the game. Also finally broke down and got a PhotoBucket account. So here goes with some Pix of my rig.(Soon to be seen at fishing destinations throughout the State!! I hope.)

First things first, My Boat

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Next, my latest mad scientist project,

Hope Ya'll like it ! (and I hope the pix work!)

bodfish

2Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:37 pm

nice set up. you sure can do alot of with those. if they werent so big and pricy i would look into getting one of those

3Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:18 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah she's a beast to load and unload. And I have spent butt loads over the years. But worth it!

bodfish

4Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:43 am

fishntoss

fishntoss
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

U might already be aware of this, but with ur transducer where it's mounted, the only time you'll probably get a good reading on fish will be when you're at rest. I'm thinkin ur gonna get some funny readings because of the turbulence goin past the motor. And possibly from the electrical "waves" so close to it. Certainly give it try tho...
did a great job. Everything has a place to go.. Looks cool..What kind of battery are you using for you trolling motor. I need to get one too, but not sure of size.. I'd like to get the smallest possible so I don't have to lug something too heavy down to the boat.. Anyways... again.. great job.. Thumbs Up

5Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey fishntoss
yeah I know not ideal , but I rarely use my meter anymore, especially while under way. my meter is kinda old. Maybe time to get rid of it and check out the new fangled tech!
I am presently using an Optima marine battery only because it has the smallest case but it is still heavy as hell. I am in the process of researching something more efficient and light. But most of the alternatives are very very very expensive. I may have a line on some lithium ion batteries at a half decent price so stay tuned.
Because I use my motor for distance travel only I am thinking of dispensing with the electric motor completely and getting a Honda four stroke for it. This is a very popular thing with the bass tooners in Japan. I would reduce my present load by 10-15 pounds, and free up deck space.
Also just for giggles checkout this,... Torqueedo ,...perhaps an alternative? again not cheap.
stay tuned I am modifying the boat this month to send the battery below for weight distribution and space.

thnx will let you know, bodfish

ps, I'm just down the road in NP where are you tubing around here? harbors?

6Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:59 am

fishntoss

fishntoss
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bodfish wrote:
Hey fishntoss
yeah I know not ideal , but I rarely use my meter anymore, especially while under way. my meter is kinda old. Maybe time to get rid of it and check out the new fangled tech!
I am presently using an Optima marine battery only because it has the smallest case but it is still heavy as hell. I am in the process of researching something more efficient and light. But most of the alternatives are very very very expensive. I may have a line on some lithium ion batteries at a half decent price so stay tuned.
Because I use my motor for distance travel only I am thinking of dispensing with the electric motor completely and getting a Honda four stroke for it. This is a very popular thing with the bass tooners in Japan. I would reduce my present load by 10-15 pounds, and free up deck space.
Also just for giggles checkout this,... Torqueedo ,...perhaps an alternative? again not cheap.
stay tuned I am modifying the boat this month to send the battery below for weight distribution and space.

thnx will let you know, bodfish

ps, I'm just down the road in NP where are you tubing around here? harbors?

Actually not tubin at all cuz of my neck problems. When I get there it'll be either Piru or Castaic Lagoon. Have family down by Perris so I hope to down that way.
I got on some sites lookin for batteries and came across a deal that shows a setup for mounting the transducer the way you did. So I guess electrical "waves" don't bother the ducer..Learn somethin new everyday..
Also learned that my motor will need a circuit breaker before using..Can't believe it's not part of the motor's setup. Did see a nice battery box that includes the breaker and a accessorie outlet. Box is for a 25 or 27 class(?) battery..Any way to use a jet-ski battery or something similiar.. I'm trying to keep from hauling the bigger batteries around. Shocked

Last edited by fishntoss on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

7Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:03 am

fishntoss

fishntoss
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have also seen Coleman(ya I know)2.5 4strokes for sale. Think they are made in Korea or China. Around $500 and I think they were around 38 lbs or so..Believe they are Pasun knockoffs??

8Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey fishntoss
Yeah I really don't run into too much interference from my motor except on 12 high, as far as cavitating and bubbles, well,...
Piru, huh? you know I only tubed there once about a thousand years ago. Otherwise have fished it from a bass boat for years.Piru is a great place, one of the true secrets hear in SoCal. Most folks don't realize what a good fishery it is. How is the access? can you kick outside the bouy line? or are you restricted? You know it can get REALLY nasty outside when it blows.
I have my battery which is a series 34 ( yeah, I know, HUH? ) in a Sea Sense battery box but my small case is swimming inside of it. I like the breaker and accessory plug but the box is just too big! So I spent the whole day today building a new rear deck and new position for my battery. ( not done yet) I am putting it below my rear deck, so I can have a clear upper deck and to lower my center of gravity. I am going to scavenge the accessory plug and breaker box and remount it elsewhere.
Did a duration test with my new compact battery ( the smallest one yet), for my meter and it lasted
a good 6 hours. That was with the backlite on and all the features turned up full. Good enough for me! this thing is basically 2"x2"x 3 1/2" and weighs less than a pound. Cheap too $21 bucks. the charger is a bit more. Check out Batteries Plus. Still testing.
Also have been working on a wheeled system to get this beast to and from my truck. By the way, have you seen my boat? check these pics out

Best to view them as a slide show, then you get the commentary. Any way, sorry to hear about your neck problems. My wife suffers from the same thing. Hopefully yours are temporary ( unlike my wifes).
I am looking for a partner to do some night fishing at Oxnard, Ventura, and Santa Barbara. No Spotties up here. White Seabass, Stripes, and double A Calicos! ( and grump sandies!) The fishery is completely different up here than below Dume and Prime Time is fast approaching!
By the way, I was thinking about hoopin as well, My friends are killin em up here!!

I have been checkin out gas outboards and the Honda is the best as far as I can see. Quality=expense, Oh well.

bodfish

9Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:57 pm

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice rig!

10Very nearly in the game,... Empty Re: Very nearly in the game,... Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Have you attempted to push the rig with a full weight bearing on it? PVC is strong, but not sure if your Schedule 40 may be able to handle up to 150lbs+ of pressure onto the joints. I'm very curious..Sturdy and strong PVC support for pontoon? Wow..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum