FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting largemouth article...

+4
waxon67
LGHT
TheAsianGuy
MASSfisher
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interesting largemouth article... Empty Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Found this on a Massachusetts forum. What do ya'll think about it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:53 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Genetic mutation based on physiological needs or influenced by environment is common. Mutation also occurs due to genetic abnormality is also common. Fishery management, or any animal breeders, took advantage of such occurences to max the dimensions of the sport fish. However, it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, neither for the sport or for consumption. Selective genes integration for increasing of productivity can be detrimental in the future. But, think about this for a moment. We dump crap loads of pollutants into the water ways all the time. The chemicals will alter the genetic traits of the living ceeatures and mutate the hell out of them. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see more bass that exceed 30lbs threshold. Same goes for various species that exceed their natural weight that nature intend them to max out at in current days.

3Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Interesting read. I'm sure there are a ton of "freak genetic" fish including bass that are already record size. The key is being able to catch them.

4Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

study

5Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

u can look at triploid rainbows in canada for an example of sterile fish reaching record weights...and i think that those genetically altered fish still count toward the recordbooks for rainbows...imagine a 42lb rainbow...they're real

6Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Hmmmm,.. in my opinion not a very good article. Full of bad science, poor interpretations and even worse assumptions. Without going into a multi page retort, ( which I just deleted), let's just suffice to say that there are so many things wrong with this article as to render it virtually useless.

sorry, just my opinion,...

bodfish

7Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I like your opinion Bodfish. Its good to here other peoples opinions and i see where you're coming from.....thats why i posted it...to see what ya'll though.

Some interesting theories out there though....hmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

8Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Interesting read, but I agree.. not much science there. But still interesting speculation!
It's the old argument, Nature versus Nurture. Clearly both genetics have a role, and also the environment (food supply, predators, etc). I'm not sure about actual "MUTATION" that is going to make a freakishly large weird-looking bass..

Basically, we're all just waiting for the Yao Ming Bass?

9Interesting largemouth article... Empty Re: Interesting largemouth article... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:37 am

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Interesting read, I'm not really into the why, I just like the tug and the hunt.
thanks for the article.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum