FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Float tube Storage
by dreamingthoughawake Today at 4:24 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by dreamingthoughawake Today at 3:45 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

changes for the E. Sierra!!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 changes for the E. Sierra!! Empty changes for the E. Sierra!! Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:41 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
here's a word from a schoolmate of mine who is livin the dream! If you fish the Eastern Sierra you might want to take a look and perhaps let the DFG hear your opinion.

Hi friends. There are some very important changes to existing regulations being proposed for several great fisheries in the Eastern Sierra for the 2013-2014 seasons. I want to emphasize that the DFG has NOT changed the regulations as of this time and that public hearings will be needed to get these proposals on the commissioner’s agenda. It is vital to send your input now so that the commission can take the public’s opinions into consideration prior to making a decision on whether to evaluate the changes or not.

This is my letter to the commission, you are welcome to copy it or use my opinions if you wish. Please send your emails to: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Subject should be proposed changes for the 2013-2014 trout season in Mono County.

DFG Commissioner’s August 6th, 2012

I do NOT support the proposal from Dick Noles, or the recommendation from the Mono County Fisheries Advisory Board to allow the taking, or possession of trout on any section designated on Rush Creek until the restoration and evaluation of this fishery can be considered complete.
I align with the DFG position that co-operation with the LADWP with regards to making positive improvements to the streambed and habitat improvement for Rush Creek need to be completed before angling regulations change here.

I do NOT support the proposal from Steve Marti to extend the 5 fish bag limit on Crowley Lake until Labor Day.
This change would negatively impact the “put and grow” DFG fishery management plan currently in place. I support the DFG’s position that the planting of triploid trout in the future will also need to be evaluated before regulation changes can be made. Increased limits will put additional strains on the wild trout population that exist in the tributaries and lake proper. Allowing the bag limit to be increased under current planting schedules would absolutely make negative impacts on this fishery.

I DO support the proposal from Steve Marti to allow zero limit, barbless artificial lures or flies, catch and release on the West Walker River during November 15th through the last Saturday in April. I do not agree with the DFG that the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout is a viable fishery that needs to be considered in this regulation change. This is an extremely accessible and safe winter fishery during the off season that could be utilized by catch and release anglers providing economic and recreational benefits to many.

I do NOT support the proposal by Dennis Byrne to eliminate current year around angling opportunities on the East Walker River downstream from the dam at Bridgeport Reservoir during the fall/winter period. I do believe that additional studies need to be done during periods of low flows and elevated water temperatures during the summer months. Stresses on the fish are much higher in July and August. My observation as a professional local guide proves fishing pressure during extended freezing conditions very light here in the winter. The East Walker River in Nevada has been a fertile year around fishery for many years. Data should be evaluated in conjunction with NDOW before making changes to current regulations in the Cal section.

Sincerely; Tom Loe, Sierra Drifters Guide Service

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

760-935-4250

760-937-2015 IPhone

1. Proposal submitted by Dick Noles to change regulations on Rush Creek:

Seeks to change regulations on Rush Creek, Lower (Mono County, Grant Lake to Mono Lake). Current Regs: Last Sat. in April through Nov.15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used-Zero bag and possession limit. Proposed Regs: Split into 2 sections; Grant Lake to Highway 395, last Sat. in April through Nov.15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. Zero bag and possession limit.. Highway 395 to Mono Lake, last Sat. in April through Nov.15. Bag limit 2 per day and 2 in possession.

A letter of support was submitted, signed by LADWP, Mono County Board of Supervisors, Mono County Fish and Game Advisory Board, and Inyo County Fish and Game Advisory Board.

DFG's response:

"The history of dewatering, litigation, and restoration of the tributaries to Mono Lake is a complex issue. Rush Creek was entirely diverted from 1941-1983. Ongoing, long term studies and stream flow releases have been ordered by the State Water Resources Control Board to fish and riparian habitat; and to monitor the stream, riparian habitat and its fish population with reference to target criteria. Attempts to deliver the full range of required restoration flows have not succeeded due to inadequate physical infrastructure, and criteria for the abundance and sizes of fish in the stream have also not been met. The Department is working diligently with all involved parties to remedy these shortcomings. The Commission established the zero limit regulation on Rush Creek in response to scientific and public input, because existing harvest was confounding important and expensive long-term studies. The proposed change in regulations would undermine the ability of the Dep! artment and the State Water Resources Control Board to restore and evaluate Rush Creek, and could disrupt complex negotiations."

2. Proposal submitted by Steve Marti, Mono Co. Fish Commission to extend 5-fish bag limit on Crowley Lake from Opening Day to Labor Day.

DFG Response:

"Crowley Lake is a very important fishery for the Eastern Sierra. Opening day is a huge event for the local communities drawing thousands of fishermen and visitors to these small towns. The current regulations were designed to protect fall run fish and fall hatchery plants that grow quickly and contribute large fish to opening day catch rates. Fluctuations in weather, water temperatures and algae growth in August can create poor conditions for trout in the lake and contributes to the reduction in fishing pressure and catch rates in August. Additional information can be found in the Department’s Crowley Lake Management Plan. The stocking of triploid fish in 2013 may have an effect on the Crowley Lake fishery and this recommendation is rejected based on the need for current and future data collection pertaining to the effects of triploid fish stocking in Crowley Lake."

3. Proposal submitted by Steve Marti, Mono Co. Fish Commission to add barbless catch-and-release fishing on the West Walker, Nov 15 through April 15.

DFG Response:

"The West Walker River is part of the USFWS Lahontan Cutthroat Trout Recovery Plan. The Region needs to evaluate the potential fishery resource impacts before expanding winter fishing into the West Walker River along with the potential increase in public use on both DFG and USFS public lands. Angling in Mono County waters consistently opens for take of trout on the Last Saturday in April for both the benefit of potentially natural breeding trout and for a consistent angling opening day to take trout from Eastern Sierra waters. The 1st Saturday in April opener could potentially impact natural spawning conditions and the historical opening fishing day in the Eastern Sierra. This proposal would create confusion for the public and a greater demand on law enforcement. If the proposal was accepted, additional Department staff time and resources would be required to coordinate with USFWS, Toiyabe National Forest, Mono County Board of Supervisors, local communities, fishi! ng constituent groups, and emergency response agencies prior to supporting winter fishing on the West Walker River."

4. Proposal submitted by Dennis Byrne to eliminate winter catch-and-release fishing on the East Walker.

DFG Response:

"This proposed change in regulations would eliminate the winter season of C & R fishing. The regulations were changed for the East Walker River below Bridgeport Reservoir in 2007. The annual reduction in flow on the East Walker River has caused icing problems in exceptionally cold winters and creates a problem for fish throughout the system during these times. A 2007 Heritage and Wild Trout survey detailing use, catch rates and angler satisfaction in March and April showed moderate levels of use, comparable or better catch rates than the traditional season and high angler satisfaction. Angler satisfaction was overwhelming supportive of the opportunity to fish the East Walker River in the winter months. Satisfaction ratings for 1) the opportunity to fish the East Walker River in winter, 2) catch and release regulations, and 3) utilization for future trips, all ranked above 90%. The recommendation would reduce fish opportunities and angler satisfaction in the fe! w dedicated C & R waters available in the Eastern Sierra."

Public comment will be accepted on these, and other proposed changes to fishing regulations, at the Aug 8&9 meeting of the Fish and Game Commission in Ventura. Written comments can be submitted.

bodfish

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum