FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Some good growth.
by Jerdon Today at 12:47 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Today at 9:25 am

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

new to site and interested in getting started in float tubing

+7
Chomps
.:LOLLY:.
Fisher
desertstorm28
Casting Call
jeffcpr
kc5qdf
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

kc5qdf

FTFF Gathering Officer

hey everyone the name is chris and I am interested in getting into float tubing. I am from El Paso tx, the middle of the desert. home of the only river that's a fire hazard Wink. any way the nearest lakes and streams are 2-3 hours away. I ride a goldwing motorcycle and was thinking float tubing would be an ideal way of combining both hobbies, motorcycle riding and fishing. after all it would be tough to tow a boat with the goldwing. I have seen so many tube set ups on the web I can see it might be easy to make a bad purchase and not be happy with the equipment choices. that being said does anyone have suggestions for tubes and basic starter equipment that won't break the bank but give me a good basic set up to start with. keep in mind it will all need to fit on my goldwing. also does anyone else on here use their bike as a means to get to the lake?

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Not sure what the goldwing is but I would like to suggest 3 tubes the Fish Cat 4, The ODC 420, and or the Cumberland. The Cumberland would be my first choice and so you know we as members get a discount of 15% off from Cover Bonanza. Of course I know that transporting would be the important part for you. Go luck in your search, I am sure there will be a lot more info coming your way soon.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

kc5qdf

FTFF Gathering Officer

thanks for the response...a goldwing is a motorcycle...the main reason I mentioned it was because traveling by bike will limit the space I have for transporting my gear

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Would it even be possible to stow a tube, fins, rod(s), tackle and possibly waders in whatever storage compartments you have on your bike?

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

tubes are bigger than you think at least when I got my fishcat it was larger than I was expecting, even fully deflated... get a small trailer for your bike? Thumbs Up

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

welcome to the forums i would go with a small tube or one with a inflatable seat n how do u carry your rods

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the boards. I would recommend getting something small like a caddis navigator. And this passed weekend I actually saw a motorcycle with one rod on it so I know that much is possible! Good luck

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah I say go with the caddis or if you want a better tube and sit higher out the water that doesn't take up much space check out the odc 420 lightweight model ohh yeah and welcome

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

welcome to the forum! I vote caddis as well Smile

sLiM562

sLiM562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

welcome to the forum! The ODC 420 ultralight would be your best bet cuz everything is inflatable, its a hassle pumping everything up but in your situation might be really handy for you. That was the first tube i started off with but i got tired of pumping everything up everytime i got tubing so yea but it was nice and sturdy tho! Hope u find the best that matches you Thumbs Up

https://www.facebook.com/addison.danh

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have people riding motorcycle (Harley), hauling tubes and gears. However, it's best to look into finding a small trailer for the bike to be on the safest side, although not not a style for a cool cat to be riding a hot bike. Float tube, rods, and extra gears can burden a rider due to wind resistance and improper bulkiness. Rods alone, not a problem. A good tube for long day comfort on the water (including frame/rod holders/fish finder designs), and the extra gears to get you from point to point in the water, problem.

Best to have a nice list of what you want for yourself in:
1. supportive weight limit
2. comfort level for how long on average in the water
3. how often you use your float tube
4. how much gears you're willing haul/not haul with you
5. practical fishing vs all out search-and-destroy missions

Once you have an idea of what you want, you can bet we will be able to give you the entire concept of what you definitely should get no only for the short run, but the long run as well.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

kc5qdf wrote:hey everyone the name is chris and I am interested in getting into float tubing. I am from El Paso tx, the middle of the desert. home of the only river that's a fire hazard Wink. any way the nearest lakes and streams are 2-3 hours away. I ride a goldwing motorcycle and was thinking float tubing would be an ideal way of combining both hobbies, motorcycle riding and fishing. after all it would be tough to tow a boat with the goldwing. I have seen so many tube set ups on the web I can see it might be easy to make a bad purchase and not be happy with the equipment choices. that being said does anyone have suggestions for tubes and basic starter equipment that won't break the bank but give me a good basic set up to start with. keep in mind it will all need to fit on my goldwing. also does anyone else on here use their bike as a means to get to the lake?

Goldwing rocks! Big bike. All decked out?

I don't know what your bank is but I want to offer up something different.
North Fork Outdoors "PREDATOR"
This is 8' long and about 5' wide. Has Oars, removable side bags and comfy seat. Best part......it weighs 12 lbs!!!!!! It is heart valve material.
I ride a HD and put this in a larger back pack because although light, it has handles, oar locks and BIG D rings all that do effect how small I can fold it. I get it down to 24" x 22" x 6" easy enough.

Renegade

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum