FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

First experience. Mixed feelings...

+5
jeffcpr
fisheromen
Gatorfan
Fisher
swampy swimmer
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty First experience. Mixed feelings... Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 am

swampy swimmer

FTFF Gathering Officer

It finally arrived last week. (Cumberland) Needless to say I had it out this past weekend for the first time. I must say it was my first time on the tube in general too. I was very excited at the beginning, however to be honest my excitement didn’t last too long. I got it on the water, (my favorite lake) took it to the spots where I always catch when I’m on foot: I couldn’t buy a single bite. Changed baits, techniques etc… I was hoping that it was one of those days when fish just don’t cooperate no matter what and decided to check that theory. So I beached the tube and started walking the banks. Off course it was already past prime time, but I still manage to catch some small bass, perch and pickerel. Even a catfish hit my spinner.
So, I don’t want to give up on tubing, but I know I did something very wrong, but not sure exactly what. Was it water disturbance from my fins? But I tried to cast further, and create as less wake as possible. That lake is motorless, very quiet, fish might not gotten used to that sort of activity on the water, unlike on other lakes where it less spooky. Maybe my fins are too long? ( I have Turbo Thruster float tube fins)
Also I have more questions: do you guys usually use an anchor? Slightest breeze moved me on my tube from the spots I wanted to stay, so I had to pedal around and back most of the time.
Thanks in advance for all your input. Sorry for asking too many questions, I’m really a novice to this sport.

2First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

try getting closer to the shore in your tube maybe the fish like the bait moving up to shore then away from it and your in a tube now time to go find those spots u could never get to from foot and no need for a anchor the anchor isnt going to keep u in that same spot u want your still goin to have to kick when im in my tube im always kicking inless i want the wind to push me you will get used to everything n have a better time then from shore

3First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Very interesting....
Were you fishing in very shallow and clear water?  That's the only way I could think of that would have you spooking fish with your fins and profile.  I bet it was more the "newness" and excitement than it was anything else.  You are comfortable and experienced in shore fishing but new to tube fishing?  Give it some more time and I bet your experiences will get better.  Also, you may have just picked up your pattern by conducting this little experiment.  If you were not getting bites while casting towards the shore but were getting them while casting from the shore, maybe the fish prefer an uphill approach in that area...

Keep at it and I bet you'll have positive experiences and reports in the near future!

4First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 am

swampy swimmer

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yes, the lake is not deep. Mostly it's about 6'-8' with some places down to 12'. But most of the fish hold closer to shores and lily pads. While I'm on foot, 7 out of 10 I catch fish by casting parallel or at slight angle to the banks, not straight out. I did it this time too. Lake has few nice little islands in the middle and lots of underwater structure next to the islands that I've always wanted to get to and I did this time, but without much success. I want to let it to cool down a little (it's been very hot here) and try again in a week or two.

Thank you gentlemen.

5First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:31 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

My first trip was horrible! Windy and stormy, I really had no business being out on the lake. I came home ready to put an ad on Craig's list. I didn't do that and my next trip was altogether different.

Kicking to deal with the wind will become second nature. If you catch fish throwing parallel to shore from shore, then throw parallel to shore form the tube. I often do that. If the water is super clear then make long casts to where the fish are.

I watch the shore fishermen and I catch twice as many fish as they do. Yeah, let the weather cool down a bit and go back out and get 'em!

6First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya try it again you never know the next time out might be ten fold different. I do know that I have had good and bad days, but my good ones far out weigh the bad ones, don't give up.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Just remember, casting from shore and retrieving it towards shore, a predator fish is more likely to bite, cuz that's how they chase bait, which is to get them close to shore so they have nowhere to go. Bait fish seek shelter in shallow water, and feel safer than in deeper water.

What I would suggest is maybe finding a good spot close to shore, and cast parallel to the shore. I don't know what type of baits your using, and what kind of retrieve you use, but maybe slow it down a tad..?

8First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Herkybird

Herkybird
FTFF Gathering Officer

In a lake that shallow and clear I would say that you are most likely spooking the forage and therefore the fish will follow.

9First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:23 am

fishntoss

fishntoss
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

unfortunatly, I've only used my tube twice in as many years. I don't live close to a tube friendly lake and due to finances and gas prices, I am landlocked for now.. First time I had my tube out I only caught one fish and skunked the second time. Catching or not.. the tube has been a blast for me.. Like the others have said.. don't give up yet..you can't beat fishing from a lazy boy...good luck next time..

10First experience. Mixed feelings... Empty Re: First experience. Mixed feelings... Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:04 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I tend to get the bad tail end of the fishing luck. Most of the time I'm out on the water, the wakes were enough to make a normal person hurl his/her breakfast and lunch from the turbulence of wind and water. I do use a 2.5lbs grappling anchor for rocky bottom, and 3.5lbs fluke anchor for sandy bottom. However, I only use the anchor only after scanning the bottom, and ensure the area is free from any fish habitat. Drop the anchor and drag it along the bottom will pretty much destroy your current fishing potential, and future fishing habitat that would be generating some major monsters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum