FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crowley: Baby it's on!!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Crowley: Baby it's on!! Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:08 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Just hit the deck after three days at Crowley. Whew!, boy I hate that drive!
Anyways,....

Day one, Friday,
Left the house at 4:00, trying to make a 9:00 call at the North End. The lake is near it's historic low. Meet up with Robb and Rick at the Tank Trap, and we head to Green Banks Bay. Weather, calm, warm, and clear. Perfect! (not the best fishing conditions,.. but..) Get to GBB, and holy Float Tube Batman!!
There are at least a hundred toobers and tooners in the water!!! (Little wonder, the word got out about a week ago that Crowley is going off!). Put in and get started. Everyone is pulling (kick trolling) streamers. Sac Perch patterns in light colors. Very few nymphers! (except the guide boats). The fish are pilled up on the steep banks literally within a few feet of shore. (there were a fair amount of guys casting from shore and catching!) The guide boats are banked up and casting within a few feet of shore. EVERYONE IS CATCHING!!! Robb and Rick fall in with the crowd and start pulling Punk Perch and Matukas. I put on a two fly rig with a couple of BIG custom perch patterns. We start catching, but the crowd and the Algae bloom throws me off my game and I missread the bite. We manage a couple dozen fish to 18", play till 6:00 and call it. I am disappointed and a bit disgusted with the crowd and my performance. Head to Rick's family condo in Mammoth, Have a great Italian meal at Campo's and decide to go South of GBB on a tip from a guy we met on the bank at the end of the day.

Day two, Saturday,
Get up around 7:30, got to breakfast at the Base Camp Cafe. fart around a bit at Rick's Sporting Goods,...

NOTE: I have been going to Mammoth for a gazillion years, and as far as sporting goods stores are concerned Rick's is one of the BEST! Not because he has the biggest and latest, greatest inventories, but because he and his employees are not the snot nosed, condescending, know it all A-holes at all the other shops. No Names... (Troutfitter)

Head to Sandy Point / Six Bays,... NOBODY THERE!! Perfect!!
Get in the water.. Same game, Spend the day for pretty much the same return, a dozen or two fish to 18". Disappointing. BUT!!,... we had a great time laughing and giggling all by ourselves. Again like an idiot, I think I have learned nothing. (I wasn't paying attention!!!)

NOTE: Keep hearing from everyone that there is a wad of fish in Hilton Bay but that they are all small.

Go to dinner at the Chart House and blow a wad for a terrific steak dinner.
Robb decides he must go home in the morning and Rick and I decide to see what Hilton is all about.

Day three, Sunday,
Get up late.. (too much Vino at the Chart House!) bid farewell to Robb and walk out to find it has been SNOWING for a couple of hours. Windy, Cold and Snowing!!  PERFECT!!! Have breakfast at the Breakfast Club, walk over to the Troutfitter and Listen to their crap trying to glean some info. Useless..
Rick and I head to Hilton and find NOBODY there! PERFECT!! Still windy, and cold but the sun is cruising in and out. I LIKE!!
Get in the water. As is my habit on the last day, I put on the biggest fly in my box and resolve to fish it exclusively all day. Tie on a 3" #2 Double Bunny Leach Pattern (one of my favorites!) As I am kicking out I put a haymaker cast out and then decide I want it a bit shorter, start winding in and get crushed! All of a sudden I realize whats up. Fish the rest of the day Speed Stripping (essentially you cast out and then strip as fast as you can) the biggest leach patterns I own. Bag 30+ fish, ALL OVER 16"!!! But can't break 20"!!! Damn!!

Another Epic trip!!

bodfish

2Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dude thanks for that report makes me want head up and try my hand a fly fishing there as well. Great fun read keep up the good fishing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Sooooo jealous...

Nice trip.

I hate crowley.
Its always windy when we hit.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

4Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:40 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

No pics???? No 

5Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sorry Guys,
I don't own a camera, and I usually do not have my phone with me. (had a bad experience with a brand new iPhone trying to take a pic.) You will just have to use your imagination! I typically try and release my fish without lifting them from the water. I just have never been an enthusiast of picture taking. Just me.

bodfish

PS My friends may have a few pix from our trip. I will see if they will allow me to post them.

6Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Pics speak more than words...Red Smile 

7Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Awesome report Bodfish but you went too soon. this week going into next week is the time to be up there. Big browns should start showing anytime now

8Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

miller wrote:Awesome report Bodfish but you went too soon. this week going into next week is the time to be up there. Big browns should start showing anytime now
Yup.

They should be migrating up rush creek by now.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

9Crowley:  Baby it's on!! Empty Re: Crowley: Baby it's on!! Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:09 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Well yes and no,... After we got there it seems I was two weeks late! The Mo Browns made their showing then! Damn! Rick went again last weekend but as I suspected the full moon put the brakes on the bite. (He still managed a few 18-20" fish) I am hoping the first flight of fish made their way up the Owens, and a new batch has moved into the North end. It's sketchy though, the water in the river is pretty low. I am going the weekend of the first. Heard a few rumors and have a theory about MaGee that I am going to check out. (MaGee has been a desert the last two or three weeks. NO ONE HAS BEEN FISHING THERE!! I am going to try Topwater Streamer flies I made a few years ago and fish extremely shallow very early or into the dark) I also have a suspicion that the walls so/east of Leyton may be holding the bigger fish. As well I have a theory about Hilton that I will fall back on if all else fails. Going to try an even more aggressive approach. (bigger flies, Heavier sink line, maybe line up to my 7 wt. Find the steeper banks and fish closer to the bottom, parallel) All I can hope for is crappy weather! I need it to be cold, cloudy and windy.

I'll let you know how it goes!

bodfish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum