FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Live scope in your glasses
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read)

+9
Chomps
johnskinner
chipmcd
Idratherbefishing
fatboy531
jeffcpr
dayhut
n2deepfsw
Robsabloke
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 am

Robsabloke

Robsabloke
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I am in no way sponsoring these guys… BUT… The deal is incredible.
For those of you that tie your own flies, Jigs etc, You have to check these guys out. Rip Lips Fishing.
I use Tungsten Bead heads a lot especially for tying Chironomids, amongst other things.
For your comparison:
Cabela's 20 Bead heads (depending on size) around $8 plus shipping… 100 of the Exact same bead heads $18 plus $3 shipping… No brainer… Just wanted to share, hope I haven't broken any protocols… but take it from a tier… this is a great deal...

2Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:59 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good heads up!

3Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:14 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

4Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is a pretty good deal thanks for the heads up.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for sharing the deals.

6Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Sat May 24, 2014 8:04 am

Idratherbefishing

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks bro been looking how to save money using materials micheals and joanns haha

7Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Sat May 24, 2014 12:13 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Cool thanks for the heads up.

Another place would be Allen Fly fishing (my uncle told me about them.)  Same tungsten bead in smaller packs, $4.50/25.  Hooks are a great deal too.  They even have a few tutorials on fly tying.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(I'm not affiliated with them in anyway.)

And if you don't tie, flies are pretty fair priced as well. But if you learn to tie, then you'd think they were highway robbery priced.  But the older I get or the older my eyes get, the easier it is to pay less than a buck for size 20-22 griffiths gnats (even as easy as they are to tie!)

johnskinner

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hello, I'm John Skinner, a real newbee (I work with bees and couldn't resist this). I have not used my tube yet but will soon and am soaking up information for a trip later this month to Quebec.

I have purchased quite a few t. beads from Rip Lips at a great price. I use them to tie tungsten copper john's and two bit hookers.

Thanks for the post and sharing.

John

http://bees.tennessee.edu

9Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What kind of thread would be use to tie jigs

10Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Jig Tying Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:48 pm

johnskinner

FTFF Gathering Officer

In reply to Chomps.

I don't tie jigs myself but I plan on doing some later for smallies.
You can use all kinds of threads -like you do for many flies but with jigs you need stronger thicker threads than for small flies. Here is a description of tying jigs I copied from cabelas site. The pictures did not attach, but here is the text. I am sure others can advise you better

"In jig tying the bucktail hair around the jig head, do it in stages. The first step is to get some heavy silk, nylon, or linen thread.

You can also use heavy button cord or sewing thread if you want. White is the best color to use unless you want to match the head or hair with an identical color.

Cut off about a 2-foot length of this thread, wrap a few turns of the thread around the jig head where the bucktail will go, and cover this wrapping with clear quick-drying cement.

Now quickly take a pinch of hair, lay it against the cement, and wrap a few turns of the thread around it. See illustration below. Then add another drop or two of cement, lay another pinch of hair against it, and tie a few more turns of thread around the hair.

Keep doing this until you build up a thick body of hair around the hook, concealing most of it except the point and the barb. See illustration below. It is a good idea to make up several pinches of hair in advance
and lay them on the table to be used as needed.

When you have the full amount of bucktail hair wound on the jig head, finish the jig tying by wrapping the rest of the thread as tightly as possible over the jig. Then end it by tying a series of half-hitches.

Finally, cover the thread wrapping with a heavy coat of clear quick-drying cement.

Best Regards, John

http://bees.tennessee.edu

11Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great find! I will be using them. I was using Allen Fly Fishing, but these Tungsten are a steal.

12Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:48 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Wow that's a hard price to beat.  Shocked

13Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty anyone tie their own. Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:48 pm

BassAttack234

BassAttack234
FTFF Gathering Officer

ye I love to tie and fly fish. I tie clousers and many other patterns.

14Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 pm

goldentroutlanyards

goldentroutlanyards
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks! just getting back into tying and gathering suppliers
if your a "fly buyer and not a fly tyer" great prices here at the fly shack [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
even the guys who work and sell flies at the local fly shops in So-Cal buy here Thumbs Up

http://www.GoldenTroutLanyards.com

15Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:21 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Makes me want to tie fly's but if I get into this I will go all out and be sleeping with the dog lol

16Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty anyone tie their own. Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:26 pm

BassAttack234

BassAttack234
FTFF Gathering Officer

I need beads for nymphs and beadhead wollies.

17Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Whats a wollie? LOL kidding. CHIRONOMIDS these beads are perfect.

18Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Empty Re: Anyone Tie Their Own (Must Read) Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:25 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I get some pretty good fly tying fur from the dog....

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum