FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420?

+3
jeffcpr
JsFishSlayer
Ifishtoolittle
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So I stumbled onto some Korean Float tubing videos and some guys had their fish cats and cumberlands upgraded with oars. What interested me was how much speed they were getting. Any ideas on how one would fix a mount onto a tube without using glue? From what I can tell in the video it seems like they bought the oar mount usually used for a fish cat commander and slapped that thing on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks guys!

-IF2L

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

While it looks interesting, I still don't see the need/purpose for oars on a Float Tube. Part of the idea is that your hands are free to actually fish.

The ones in the video, well most of them that have them anyway, the fish cats, those come with oar mounts to begin with. The others, I couldn't see clearly, but it looked like they were using something that attached to the D rings, but honestly... I'm not sure, maybe someone else will have something on them.  confused 

https://www.facebook.com/FishSlayerJoshS

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This is interesting to say the least I agree not to much need for oar on my ODC. But then again never know when it might come in handy. I will be watchjng this thread for more details.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

There are these Glue On which can be done with Loctite glue. Looking at the video, not sure how they have the oars mounted. Looks like they are coming out of the bags.

Then there are these (under the floater category)

You could always glue the mounts to a curved plate and run a strap or two through it like the Scotty tube mount rod holder.

Also consider a foot strap to support your feet while you row. Hard to row with feet dangling.

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow!!! Those guys re out there in numbers an the stringers were full of baby bass. That lake was massive and looked freaking amazing. I would assume that the oars would be used for long distance rowing plus them tubes seem pretty long. As we know paddling around for long periods will cause for some serious cramping. The lake is between some tall peaks bet you it gets really cool up in there. I wanna tube fish in KOREA now!!!! Lmao lol! 

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Oars on a float tube are ghey! Red Smile I agree, the whole reason a tube was designed was for hands free fishing! Gotta love that!

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

In the O.P.'s defense, even on a pontoon, one basically rows to get from point A to point B. Then the hands free fishing comes in with the flipper action. But, thinking outside the box, I can't tell you how many fish I have landed by securing the rod or poll with line out and then gently rowing. I think it is the on/off motion of the rowing that sparks hits or attacks.
Not to mention when the weather changes unexpectedly, you are able to get off the water in a hurry without those leg cramps. Here in the Rocky Mountains, that is a big deal, don't know about the ocean.
The NFO Escape is pretty popular for that reason.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I can see the use of oar on a tube, that being getting to your spot faster and get home faster. the only problem I have is even though our tube are good sized and hold a lot, I am not sure I want to give up more space for the speed. I like my .:LOLLY:. rod holder and FTF fishfinder Mount I would need to leave them behind to use the oars. Well to each his own I do like the idea though and will be waiting to what you guys come up with for this set up.  Shocked 

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Good point. That is problematic for sure. I came up with a strap on sonar/transducer that can be strapped on easy enough out of the way, but rod holders more a challenge. I went with a glue on Scotty mount and the three rod tree. Glued on behind my lft shoulder and out of way of the oars.

10Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:37 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

There you go can you post some pic's of your rod holder sound cool.

11Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Mine isn't an ODC or SFC, but it shouldn't matter. Here is my sonar/transducer with 2" wide nylon strap and a flexible cutting board.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
And here is the rod tree
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That Scotty rack is bad ass bro and the FF mount looks great thanks for posting it.

13Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Appreciate the replies guys. Having oars do defeat the purpose of using a tube, but I'm not in a position right now where I can buy a new set-up that has oar mounts installed. So, I decided to go with the next best thing, and I'll see if I can fix a solid mount onto my tube.

I like the idea of having oars since I do get tired after kicking for hours nonstop. With oars I believe I can move faster and give my legs a break. lol I've had days where it took 3x as long to get back from a spot than getting to it.

The oars wouldn't necessarily take up that much space on my set-up since I store all my rods and most of my junk in a bucket that is behind me.

lol it sounds like you guys take a lot of gear out when you tube. I've managed to dumb down my stuff where I just take the essentials and then some to not over complicate things.

14Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Renegade wrote:There are these Glue On which can be done with Loctite glue.  Looking at the video, not sure how they have the oars mounted.  Looks like they are coming out of the bags.

Then there are these (under the floater category)

You could always glue the mounts to a curved plate and run a strap or two through it like the Scotty tube mount rod holder.

Also consider a foot strap to support your feet while you row.  Hard to row with feet dangling.

Thanks for the links! I'm really digging the Japanese tube. It looks like a tank and it already has a lot of extra things on it that I've never seen.

15Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:03 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya i saw those tubes before they are cool beefy to say the least.

16Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 am

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You want to get somewhere fast on a tube you don't need oars, you need this:

17Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:33 am

fisheromen wrote:You want to get somewhere fast on a tube you don't need oars, you need this:

Interesting Idea , but still to bulky for my taste

18Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

fisheromen wrote:You want to get somewhere fast on a tube you don't need oars, you need this:

You guys license the tube using those things? Legally it is a motor.

19Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:23 am

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yeah, I'm going to call the DMV and ask them if I should register my tube as a vessel because I have a drill motor prop device. NOT!!!

20Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I figured that was the answer.  Rolling Eyes 

21Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Empty Re: Ideas for an Oar mount for a ODC 420? Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

lol I've seen those. I'd rather not bring a power drill while tubing. I'm not a lazy guy so using oars is fine with me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum