FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float tube for 11 year old

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float tube for 11 year old Empty Float tube for 11 year old Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Jed#1

FTFF Gathering Officer

I need help with picking out a tube for my son. He will be using it on the river light to moderate current but is only 90 lbs. I want him to be out of the water mostly due to getting cold, but doesn't like using the kayak. Any help??

2Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

What's your budget? Does he have waders?

3Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:46 am

Jed#1

FTFF Gathering Officer

Budget is negotiable, but no waders yet. Is familiar with fins from snorkeling and diving. He's pretty skinny

4Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:50 am

I would check out Cumberland tubes, best tube for the buck. That's what I'm looking at for my boy and he's 9

5Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:09 am

Jed#1

FTFF Gathering Officer

Great thanks

6Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I would like to add this I understand that you want him out of the water but being young and maybe smaller, if he has more body mass in the water he will create more drag. This might slow him down in the current, I am just thinking out loud but that is my 2 cent. Of course if you really want one of the best tubes out there go with the Cumberland (we as members get 15% off from CB) PM me for more info.
but he I'm sure is not heavy so you can get away with some more simple tubes the Big Horn is a great work horse that will work for ever. You could also look at the Togiak as well or the spin fly, but most will agree the Cumberland is the best way to go. All the above tube can be found at Classic Accessories or there clearing house Cover Bonanza. Welcome to the board and good luck.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Float tube for 11 year old Empty Float tube for kid Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:01 pm

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

My son is 10 and has been tubing with me
For about a year and a half
We only fish local lakes on calm water but his tube is a classic accessories Teton

While the Teton is no fish cat or Cumberland
By any stretch it is very affordable and a great tube for kids my son has a lot of tube sessions on his and it still looks like new  my son is a big kid and his Teton floats him great even with a full load of tackle and snacks you can't leave shore without the snacks
Lol  
As to waders if you want affordable but reliable waders in kids sizes check out txfowlers.com
They usually have pretty good deals on adult and kids waders for waterfowl hunting and fishing
I got my sons Hodgman waders there and they are still going strong
Good luck in whichever setup you choose for him
My son and I have a great time in our tubes out on the water  Thumbs Up
Tjflyfisher

Last edited by tjflyfisher on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

8Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jed#1 wrote:Budget is negotiable, but no waders yet.  Is familiar with fins from snorkeling and diving.  He's pretty skinny

Well Jed, I'm not sure where you're located but even in sunny Southern California we need waders during the winter. lol it's something to consider. An ill child is a big worry for a parent.

As for the tube, I'd suggest getting a V shaped or a pontoon style float tube with two cylindrical bladders. These two types have the least amount of resistance against the water thus making for an easier kick and time on the water.

I've own(ed) 3 tubes and they were the Trout Unlimited Bighorn, ODC 420, and the Cumberland. If I had to pick a best tube I'd go with the Cumberland simply because it works the best right out of the box without requiring any kind of mods unless you're foolish like me and SOMEHOW manage to lose the stripping apron. lol Mad The Cumberland also sits the person high out of the water, is light, and has little to no drag when kicking even though it is on the heavier side.

As for the other two I've own(ed) the Bighorn I disliked the most simply because the bladders were weak and unreliable. The valve is a joke and took a hell of time to inflate. But, it did have a ton of storage space, the most out of all 3 tubes in fact.

Finally, the ODC 420, this tube is a tank. The hull is strong, the bladders are great and strong as well. And, the design overall is just bulletproof. My only complaints about this one was the fact that you have to readust the valve while inflating until it sits perfectly in the pockets. Also, the seat is made of 2 foam blocks rather that one so you get this thing called the taco effect. I hated that. My back was sore at the end of my trips. I had a fix on that. Go check out my post on the fix. Finally, the storage space was poorly designed in that it had too many small pockets rather than a few simple big ones.

I hope this helps.

9Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:17 am

Jed#1

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for all the great tips. We are from indiana but fish the Muskegon in central Michigan. I can't wait for him to hook a big smally or steelhead. I'm sure it will drag him around pretty good. Sounds like the Cumberland might be the best bet. To jeffcpr what is CB??? And what does PM mean. Not really a guru on this stuff Smile

10Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:32 am

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

CB is for Cover Bonanza. Last I heard they were out of stock on the Cumberland.

11Float tube for 11 year old Empty Re: Float tube for 11 year old Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:34 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

There is a chance they will have them in stock again soon, this happens from time to time, but I heard that the 17th is a possiblility of having more. Jed#1 I got your message and sent you one back to your wall. Let me know if you got the message. also if you look to the left were your info is at on the bottom you will see a button that says mp. That is the pm or "Private Message button" it is just back words.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum