FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just entering the sport of paddleboard fishing

+3
bruinhook
Jerdon
fireme
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

I've just ordered an assault paddleboard from Dave Scadden. I intend to get back into fishing from this platform, and possibly some hunting. Does anyone own this board that could review it for me? I'm also wondering if you could recommend a good cooler for all day fishing/hunting, preferably camo. I'm not sure if paddleboards are popular on a float tube site, but mainly looking for feedback on Dave Scadden products.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I don't know about others here, but I attempted to fish from a paddleboard several times before. Everything is wet all the time, uncomfortable seating all the time, uncomfortable travel all the time, but you can haul ass to get wherever you are going. The board is only 5 inches thick on average, any wave can wash over getting everything wet, even when it is in a a milk crate style box. That means reels, lures, or whatever is in the box. The board is too wide to straddle comfortably when sitting and standing is too wobbly for comfort. The best part is getting where you are going.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Just entering the sport of paddleboard fishing Empty inflatable Sat May 16, 2015 11:22 am

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

This is a six inch inflatable, 3 ft. wide, designed for fishing. I'll mostly be in calmer waters.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Well keep us posted!
I might have come of sounding like I'm against the idea, but that is not the case.
The best part by far is travel speed; I can reach places on the board I never will in a tube.

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I've been wanting to try this as well just to see what it's like (and for the hauling ass factor, haha). The Scadden's look pretty cool. I've seen a lot of people recommend a Bote, but they are really pricey.

As far as a cooler, it doesn't get better than a Yeti, but those are really pricey as well. Kind of crazy that a cooler could run $300. It better be able to cook my food for me at that price!

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

I just bought a coleman 50 extreme wheeled for $40 and an igloo 28 qt. to ice the fish I catch in.

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been reading up on inflatable paddleboards for the past couple years. I own a Civic for hauling around 2 inflatable pontoons and have dreamed about adding a paddleboard. Please share your thoughts and experiences (good or not so good) as you work out the kinks.

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yea, I will. I've thought about it for years as well, mainly because I like the idea of standing up and paddling, my lower back gets sore pretty fast sitting in a canoe or kayak. Plus you can see into the water a lot better standing.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya I would like to here more about this as well, there is not much information on this forum about these boards but I also am interested. Anyone have any info to share please don't hesitate to post up your info.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

supsurfer

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have fished from my standup paddle board that I surf with so its not a true fishing SUP. It's an 11' er and not as stable to fish standing up as a thick still water board. I wish I could stand up and fly cast for better sight fishing vision. I use it as an alternate to fishing from my float tube which is my primary. As others have stated the main advantage is getting to and moving from location to location. The down sides are lack of maneuvering while fishing. I counter this by taking my float tube fins with me and use them when I start fishing. I straddle the board with the tail of the board in front of me so I can use the board's skeg as a stabilizer. The other disadvantage is it is easy to dump things overboard, so you should leash or float all of your valuables; paddle, poles, etc. I have a "Board Fisher" crate which is nice to organize and lash your stuff to. A good soft water proof cooler that is priced pretty well is the AO Cooler. The make a SUP version that straps to your board.
I like it during warmer month where it's nice and you can trunk it. I have also suited up in my wetsuit when the water was colder, and I have also wadered up at times. Problem with the waders is that it's always in the back of my mind that if I go in, my waders are gonna fill up. IMO the SUP is not an ideal fishing platform, but it's worth it for me to re-purpose something I already have and use when I have to move and cover water.
DT2

11Just entering the sport of paddleboard fishing Empty fins and vest Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 pm

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

Now that you mention it, what kind of fins would be good for it? What is a good life vest for fishing/paddling? So far I like the field and stream fishing life vest at Dicks for $60, still seems like a lot for a pretty average vest though.

supsurfer

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fins would be whatever you have since it kicking won't be your primary method of moving. I just use fins to keep station while fishing and fighting fish. Without fins you are at the mercy of current and wind while fishing. I use my float tube fins (Force Fins) but body surfing fins would work if you are barefoot. Other slip-over float fins or scuba/snorkel fins would work. No need to overspend to get fins just for this. Whatever is cheap and comfortable.

13Just entering the sport of paddleboard fishing Empty Pictures of my setup Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

14Just entering the sport of paddleboard fishing Empty Took it out last night. Sat May 30, 2015 12:37 pm

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

Here is what I have come up with so far. I like it a lot, it works pretty well. The only problem I had was it was windy when I first put in, I tied on a lure and by the time I was ready I had blown across the lake!

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Looks awesome man! How was the stability?

16Just entering the sport of paddleboard fishing Empty Stability Sat May 30, 2015 1:23 pm

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

That's a good question. If you pay attention, it's no problem and is very stable. But you can't just go shifting your weight out to the sides and not have it wobble on you. It seems like the stability depends on you. All in all I thought it was very good, but..it is still a paddleboard, and balance is required. Wink

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

fireme wrote:Here is what I have come up with so far. I like it a lot, it works pretty well. The only problem I had was it was windy when I first put in, I tied on a lure and by the time I was ready I had blown across the lake!

That's a great looking set up.
Is that a pad for sitting on the big ice chest?

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yep, but I've got a better seat now with back support to strap to my cooler.

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Welcome aboard. Cool looking raft thingy you got there. Ever think about an anchor? Maybe some smaller dumbells might work.

fireme

FTFF Gathering Officer

Funny you should mention it. I just ordered one yesterday. Got one of those 3.5 pounders that comes with a fastener, a float and a bag for $20

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum