FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Texas Tuber!

+5
GT
Jerdon
bigfish
jeffcpr
gdc89
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Texas Tuber! Empty New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:42 am

gdc89

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hello from God's Country!  aka Texas
I was recently given a float tube by my uncle thinking I would never have time to mess with it.  But curiosity got the better of me.  Started doing a little looking around and found this great site.  The tube is a Caddis Navigator II, which hasn't had the best reviews, but oh well.  It was priced right!  After reading up on tubing in general, I made my maiden voyage in a nearby farm pond.  
I'M HOOKED!  Took a minute to get the hang of driving the thing, but it was a blast.  Can't wait to add a few necessary mod's and head to the lake.
Thanks for a great site.   Also, how do you turn the pics?

Live from the Texas Panhandle,
gdc[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Well welcome the forum and to the sport of fluat tube fishing. You ate going to enjoy it here i am sure of it. Looks like we need to start a Texas post now thats great. I do not know as of yet how to rotate the pictures i am having issues to since they changed things a bit but i will see if i can get some answers

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:28 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hello from Nebraska! I was born and raised in the great state of Texas.

You did well with the tube. We here at FTFF understand the instant love one finds when they fish from a float tube. My Bass boat just sits now. There is nothing quite like catching a Bass from a float tube. You are truly in the fishes environment. Nothing is stealthier. It's like fishing from a recliner!

Doing a lot of things is of course different. Space is limited. If you find yourself getting discouraged feel free to check the forum or ask members for advice. I can guarantee that someone has solved every issue you might run into.

You've found FTFF at a wonderful time. The forum is a place for float tube fishing that offers advice, knowledge, friendship and competition. Just imagine participating in a tournament fishing on whatever body of water you want to! Online tournaments are the thing of the future, except here at FTFF it's now!

If you decide that you want to get buddies involved in the sport and start a chapter in your neck of the woods feel free to contact me and I'll help you with all the details. I'm currently growing the Nebraska chapter 'Hooked in the Heartland'. I'm always willing to help.

More importantly...Welcome to the Forum and float tubing.

bigfish
Clint

4New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum GDC!
This place has plenty of information and great guys.

5New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:20 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome aboard GDC89.....Check the archives, lots of pic's of mods......your hooked my friend....GT

6New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Welcome. As for the pictures, you need to rotate them and re-save before uploading to the forum.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

7New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Deepblu505

Deepblu505
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Welcome to the site, I am a miss placed Texan living in North Carolina. I am also new to tubing and really love it. Look forward to your posts.

http://naturesviewsphotography.weebly.com/

8New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:36 pm

gdc89

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've made some rod holders and a rack for my depth finder, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.   But looking forward to it.  Hopefully I'll have report soon.   Still catching up on all the good info here.

Thanks jeffcpr for pic info.

Adios
gdc

9New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:11 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Problem solved looking great now.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

10New Texas Tuber! Empty Update Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:24 pm

gdc89

FTFF Gathering Officer

Made it to the lake today!  Finally got to try out my mod's,  they need a little tweeking, but will be ok.  Biggest problem is WIND.
Tubes and wind dont mix too good.  I had seen several comments about this very thing and was a little concerned because windy days are pretty much the norm around here.  The concern is well founded!  My fishing was very limited as I had to be careful I didn't end up across the lake.  In other words I got skunked.  But I did get in a lot of exercise, and have since learned that treading water burns 420 calories per hour.  Another fishing trip or two and I should be ready for a marathon.
Not giving up on the tube, but I'm not sure how practical it is going to be for me.  This pic was right before cast off and was the calmest it was all day.  Ten minutes later and there were whitecaps out there.

Hopefully I'll have a better report next time.

gdc

11New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 am

Deepblu505

Deepblu505
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Might want to get yourself a small anchor.  This is a good little set up: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I haven't heard anybody saying that they use a small drift sock but that might also slow your drift. I have used one on my kayak and it works great.

I had s friend who used to drag a small bucket with holes in the bottom when fishing open water in the wind. This is a 5 gal bucket but you could use a smaller one. :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Anyways not sure if it is feasible but it might work. good luck.

http://naturesviewsphotography.weebly.com/

12New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:33 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

gdc89,

Here in Nebraska I experience the same wind issue as you did there in the Great State of Texas. Wind in the plains regions is always here.

Any lake larger than about 10-12 acres takes planning. For me it starts with the type of fishing I'm going to be executing. If I'm fishing on the bottom or jigging in the deep holes I anchor down. A tube can easily be affected by wind. The tradeoff is that it doesn't take much to anchor a tube.

I use empty Gatorade bottles and small cordage. I say empty because they are light and easy to pack onto the tube. If I will need to anchor I fill them with sand, mud or rocks. If the wind is light I usually only need one. If the wind is medium I throw out three of them. I attach them to one long anchor line by using a 2-3 three foot leader to attach each one separately to the end of the anchor line. This spreads them out a little on the bottom and works really good as an anchor. By using small nylon cordage I can easily pack 50 ft. or more of line. In a strong wind I drop anchor upwind of my hole which makes the anchor stable. Try not to anchor straight under your tube. Attach the anchor line to the back (point) of your tube. That way your anchor line is positioned out of your way.

If I am casting out on the water I position myself and let the wind push me across my target zone. I can slow the push by gently paddling against the wind; not hard, just enough to slow the push. Try to let the wind work for you. This is a great method for trolling rigs.

If it's going to be a really windy day I try to stay in the coves and inlets and fish the edges where the Bass like to feed. A copse of trees on the shore can make a nice wind break which allows for some nice Bass strategy!

Wind was an issue I was concerned with when I first started tubing. However, I discovered that part of my problem was my approach. I was thinking 'boat'. My approach and strategy applied to fishing and maneuvering from a boat. Once I realized this and adjusted my strategy I had much greater success when dealing with surface conditions.

Lastly; consider the fins you are using. I currently have five different sets of fins. The fins you use make a tremendous difference in the power and control when paddling a tube. I use short, wide snorkeling fins when I don't need to go distance or fight wind. They require less effort and energy while providing great maneuverability.

On the other end I use long dive fins if I will be covering distance or dealing with wind. Not as maneuverable as the short fins but with long, slow strokes I get great power with minimal energy.

I carry three rigs on my tube and a large cross section of lures. Each reel and rod is rigged for different types of fishing. I do this so I can change my strategy according to changing conditions without needing to go ashore.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions always feel free to ask anything here on the forum. Much of what I learned came from some of these guys here.

13New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:20 am

gdc89

FTFF Gathering Officer

Deepblu and bigfish, thanks for the replies.  I do have an anchor system, it just didn't show up in the pic - a 6 lb window weight

I didnt use it yesterday as i was able to tie off to some tree tops off shore aways and fish in one place and the other I kind of fought the wind as I drifted a carolina rig across some points.  The main concern was getting too far away from my entry point anchored or not, and being able to get back.  Maybe thats a sign its too windy to fish!

I can certainly see what you mean about planning ahead.  The problem with this lake is it is in a canyon and there are only three entry points.  Two of them - the ones i tried- are open to the sw wind.  The other is to some degree, but probably couldve hugged the bank and made it to some sheltered coves.  By the time I tried the other two I was done for the day.  

I'm definitely not giving up.  At least until I catch a mess of fish out of this thing!

Just have to take your advice and plan better.

Thanks again
gdc

14New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Welcome GDC, nice fish! and sucks about the skunk....but all good makes you come out more determined next time and plust redemption is good!

as for the wind...man sometimes you just have to deal with it...here in Cali, im always in the bay and man can it suck, current, wind and idiot boat drivers hahah

LOL@ready to run a marathon....

Welcome again enjoy your stay!!

Tony G Fishing

15New Texas Tuber! Empty Re: New Texas Tuber! Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:59 am

Garywhis

Garywhis
FTFF Gathering Officer

Welcome gdc,
I'm a Texas tuber as well. Was a kayaker, but switched. If you are in the Austin area, there are some good lakes that are prefect for tubes. Let me know and I'll send you some of the names.
There is also a club called Private Water Fishing. They have worked out arrangements with ranchers that have large ponds. There is a cost, but you have the lake to yourself when fishing. Here's the web page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GW

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum